Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT : Anybody in the UK want a Road Angel Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:12 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT : Anybody in the UK want a Road Angel Plus?

This is the one with rechargable battery (so no wires) although it also has car charger connections. Motion sensor (so will switch itself on / off automatically if you are silly enough to leave it in your car), laser detection etc. More details are no doubt available on the Road Angel site.

I bought it new in December. Think the free subscription was for 6 months so runs out in May but will confirm this later if anybody is interested.

I simply don't like it - I much prefer the Origin Blue I previously had. I've only used it about 5 times and it seems rather pointless keeping it. Excellent condition but I suspect I don't have the original packaging.

I paid over £300 in December. The cheapest I've seen them for sale now is £270 from Halfords. I want £200 - plus postage if it's too far to collect.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:50 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I had been thinking about getting one, Dave, as I've specced sat-nav in the GT3 and won't need my TomTom. I liked the idea of not having wires dangling about with this.

What is it about it that makes you dislike it?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:07 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
I had been thinking about getting one, Dave, as I've specced sat-nav in the GT3 and won't need my TomTom. I liked the idea of not having wires dangling about with this.

What is it about it that makes you dislike it?
I'm not going to tell you that or you won't want to buy it!

OK - for one thing, I think the Origin was better featured :

1) It would only alert if I was speeding - Road Angel always alerts even if I'm within the speed limit
2) Origin had a motorway setting so that it would ignore cameras on roads surrounding motorways. Road Angel doesn't.
3) Origin showed you the direction of the speed camera (i.e. whether it was on the road you're on or whether it's on a side road). Road Angel doesn't.
4) It tends to alert due to "Safety camera van" (i.e. laser detection) even though it's clearly not true. To be fair - it doesn't have all that many false alerts - but it's enough that I ignore them and having laser detection was fairly pointless.

But, er...... it's really good and it's a bargain......
Old 03-12-2007, 05:23 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Ha ha.

Actually, that's weird because I had a Road Angel Compact and, unless my memory is playing er... what's the word I'm looking for, it's on the tip of my tongue, er... oh it's... sorry, what was i saying, oh yes, unless my memory is playing tricks, you could configure it to do all of that stuff.
I also had an Origin (B2) which I hated - the buttons kept rattling which was the worst thing, but it also delighted in throwing out false laser alerts, usually when I had lots of opposite lock wound on and had better things to think about than to start looking for scameras. It got so bad that Paula would spot a roundabout coming and turn the thing off until we were out the other side.
Anyway, if you really can't do all that 'filtering' with it, then i don't want it after all.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:24 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Damn - should have lied!
Old 03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yup.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:27 AM
madmoog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truth pays?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:30 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Would it help if I said it makes your car faster?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:39 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Perhaps some weight comparisons between this and Origin?

Quick Reply: OT : Anybody in the UK want a Road Angel Plus?