Sponsored by:

The more I look the more things start to look scary

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:26 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts
Unhappy The more I look the more things start to look scary

I need some more assistance diagnosing some things that look like leaks.

I am changing my oil, some hoses from the thermostat and trying to clean up my car. In the process I am finding wet spots here and there that are starting to make me feel a little uneasy.

Attached is a pic from the opposite side of the oil filter in the right rear wheel well (oil filter console?). I just noticed that this area look moist compared to the rest of the wheel well. All that brown stuff is caked on dirt that I need to clean out. I guess the PO did not do such a good job of keeping it clean.

Anyway the hose going to the oil tank also looks moist compared to the rest of the hoses.
Forgive me for a stupid question...but does this mean I need to put a new hose in?

Is it hard to pull out the oil tank so that I can clean that area and make sure nothing else is leaking?
Attached Images   
Old 03-10-2007, 11:39 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

It sure looks like your upper oil line in that picture needs replacement and is responsible for your wet wheel well. I replaced that line on one of my cars because it looked just like yours. The "fuzzy oil line" is a sign of a needed replacement!
Old 03-11-2007, 12:02 AM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Is it an easy job?
Do you think its something I need to do immediatly?
Of course I have the oil out of the car so it probably would be best to do it now, but things are starting to add up ($$) slowly.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:20 AM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can leave it as long as it isn't bothering you. Until it starts to actually drip, noticeably, I'd hold out and get some mileage out of what's there. These are unreasonably expensive bits of hose.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Removing the oil tank is not that big of a deal, it is just a messy job. DO NOT buy anything but a factory Porsche line from the oil tank to the oil filter. The OEM ones do not have the same fitment and actually kink behind the oil tank.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:41 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Ceby,
It may be worth your time to thoroughly degrease the area and then steam clean or at least get all of the grime away. Then monitor the area to see if you can pinpoint where it weeps.

Should you decide to replace the hose, Geoffrey makes a very valid point. I've read a few times where "OEM" oil lines did not fit correctly.

Andreas
Old 03-11-2007, 03:05 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ducnine
things are starting to add up ($$) slowly.
If you disturb the dirt be prepared to replace the oil lines. I cleaned up my oil lines (see first image below) and that caused the oil line that runs from the filter console to the crankcase to start dripping (where there was nothing before) but the upper line stayed as you see in the picture below for lets see going on 30k miles now. What might have helped is that I twisted and screwed around with the upper oil line fitting the first time I had my engine out so that I could replace the gasket that sits between the filter console and the engine compartment (2nd image). Best I can tell the weeping has not returned but the other (previously non-leaking) line had to be replaced.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Those oil tank to filter housing hoses can let go , normally at the worst time !

I would get a new , Porsche hose while the oil is out . With the tank out it would be a good idea to check the oil level sender . The small stainless cover always looks fine but the steel sender , out of sight , rots and then falls into the tank !
The other area to check are the other short rubber hoses to the tank .
This whole area is one to take a look at it all and get it right once.
PIA I know but not hard to do !

All the best

Geoff
Old 03-11-2007, 08:25 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

I do not get this.

If there is a leak at the fitting points then shouldn't that area be the only area where it looks wet? Why does the hole whose get wet looking?

My upper hose looks wet all the way back to the oil tank from the console. See the pics.

Another question: I bought the small hose that connects from the tank to the thermostat based on info from the Parts Catalog pdf that I found on some posts here. I bought it from Sunset and got the part number that coinsides with the thermostat number. The hose I got has the part number that corresponds to the pdf file for my thermostat but as you can see from the last photograph, its totally different than the one I took off. The old one is smaller and has a different shape. The old hoses part number printed on it is 964.207.241.02 and the part number in the pdf for my thermostat is 964.207.241.06. What is up with that? Anyone else have the same issue?
Attached Images    
Old 03-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ceby,

I did exactly as you and received the wrong hose. So it looks like I have the hose you need and you have the hose I need. Wanna swap?

Old 03-11-2007, 08:44 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Yeah...lets do it. PM me.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:50 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

I did the same as Geoffrey and have one of those in my tool box also! Anyone else need to trade?!? I have the 04 part and need the 06!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Ceby,
Have you taken a look at the level sender ? Just take off those two 8mm nuts on the top of the protection plate, gently take the plate off and look at the sender . The sender steel plate rusts pretty bad and will fall into the oil tank .
That will then take out the motor !

Good luck

Geoff
Old 03-11-2007, 11:03 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Geoff,

Where is the level sender located? Is it located in the picture? Is so what number is it?

The PET does not have any parts with the name level sender.

Thanks
Ceby
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2007, 12:00 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

#14 Tank Gauge

Quick Reply: The more I look the more things start to look scary