Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal pressure compared to a 993?

Old 03-06-2007, 03:00 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Clutch pedal pressure compared to a 993?

Dear All,

How is our 964 clutch pedal pressure supposed to compare to a 993? My '93 has 105K miles on it, and I always thought the clutch pedal pressure and shifting were stiff.

In my search to make it better/easier, over the winter I have replaced the few bushings in the pedal assembly, and all of the shift linkage busings and shift rods. I have bled the clutch slave cylinder twice, and all movements seem to be appropriate.

What I have to compare it to is my buddy's '95 993. His clutch and shifting, after 65K miles, are like butter. His clutch pedal pressure is very noticeably lighter than my 964. We have looked at the pedal assemblies together, and they appear pretty identical, other than minor design differences. We both have that big "helper" spring on the clutch pedal lever arm, for example.

Do I have any valid concerns? Is it just the nature of the beast? Or are they supposed to be relatively similar, and I may have more fundamental things wrong?

I would appreciate hearing from those that may know if along with the 993 came design changes that truly made a difference in how our clutch pressure and shifting feel. Or, should they be similar?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-06-2007, 03:28 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivs
How is our 964 clutch pedal pressure supposed to compare to a 993? My '93 has 105K miles on it, and I always thought the clutch pedal pressure and shifting were stiff...
What I have to compare it to is my buddy's '95 993. His clutch and shifting, after 65K miles, are like butter. His clutch pedal pressure is very noticeably lighter than my 964.
The 964 and 993 clutch pedal operation should be the same. You can bleed the hydraulics and check for corrosion around the release fork and operating shaft but most likely will end up having to replace the clutch disc (and at your mileage the pressure plate) if you want an easier pedal.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I once drove a '98 993 C2S back to back with my '90 C2, and I noticed that the control forces for gearshift lever & steering wheel were noticeably lighter on the 993 than the 964.

My clutch on the 964 felt heavy and a bit balky, then the Freudenberg dual mass flywheel let go and I replaced the clutch and flywheel.

After replacement the clutch was noticeably lighter and smoother. Tube that centers the throwout bearing was replaced (among other parts related to clutch replacement) and the old tube was scuffed, looked like the throwout bearing was cocking a bit on the tube, and that may have contributed to a stiffness in clutch feel. Before I replaced the clutch I replaced the clutch slave cylinder, but the old one looked fine and the new one did not change the clutch feel. Bottom line was new clutch - smoother & lighter clutch operation.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:30 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks. I will start saving up for a new clutch and various parts.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch pedal pressure compared to a 993?