Euro Turn Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro Turn Indicator

How hard is it to install the side Euro turn indicators? I have searched and searched but all I found is the guy on EBAY selling the lights that says all you have to do is drill holes and Porsche left the wiring there on non Euro cars. Anybody know a DIY or has anyone done this themselves?

Thanks

Kenny
Old 03-05-2007, 02:19 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am working on it. There are connectors inside the luggage compartment. Then you need to get the pin connectors and plastic connector holder. The plastic holder is from Porsche, but you need to get the electrical wire with pins from Audi. I could not find the correct pin in PET, but the AUDI guy had a box of pin connectors with wires already attached that I could choose from. So I now have the wires all run to the location inside the fender.

Now you heed a competent body shop that has a Euro fender to make a tempalet of the hole(s) from. Or someone in Europe to remove his light and take accurate dimensions for us.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 PM
aeroman
Rennlist Member

Thanks Stevepaa!!! So the EBAY was right the wiring is there for the most part. Imagine that. Please keep me in the loop. I bet someone around here will help with the dimensions. Hint Hint. Do you have part numbers for the connectors and wiring?

Thanks

Kenny
Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

I'll look tonight for any p/n I can find. Here are the connectors, left and right.

Also in my car, the right side marker harness connector was mistakenly connected to the right side heated window washer sprayer jet connector.

So the sprayer jet would only get electricity to heat the washer fluid when the right turn signal was on.

Last edited by stevepaa; 03-04-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:02 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepaa

Now you heed a competent body shop that has a Euro fender to make a tempalet of the hole(s) from. Or someone in Europe to remove his light and take accurate dimensions for us.
So, exactly what dimensions do you want Steve? Just the width and height of the hole or do you need the exact position on the wing (fender) aswell?

I'll see if I can pop mine out this weekend and take some photos.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:51 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
We would need a picture, and accurate dimensions of the hole(s). Also, the distance from the door gap to the hole and from black sill line.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:06 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Thanks.
We would need a picture, and accurate dimensions of the hole(s). Also, the distance from the door gap to the hole and from black sill line.
OK. I'll measure up for you at the weekend (as long as it's not lashing down with rain ).
Old 03-11-2007, 04:22 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Guys, Here are the pictures I promised. To my surprise there are just two holes behind the side lens (large for the bulb assembly and small for the plastic retaining lug. Measurements were made to the centre of each hole. The pics should be self explanatory but just incase:

Door line to centre of large hole = 10.5 cm
Door line to centre of small hole = 12.7 cm
Bottom of fender to centres of both holes = 41.0 cm

The rectangular outline is just dirt!

Old 03-11-2007, 04:31 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Sorry forgot to say that the vertical measurement is centre of holes to top of fender sill (not the rubber).
Old 03-11-2007, 08:57 PM
aeroman
Rennlist Member

Many thanks. this is great.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:05 PM
kristianw
Instructor

Yeah thanks for the pictures. I recently ordered some signals.. hopefully i can get the courage to drill the holes though.. I have second thoughts about drilling..
Old 03-11-2007, 09:17 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kristianw
Yeah thanks for the pictures. I recently ordered some signals.. hopefully i can get the courage to drill the holes though.. I have second thoughts about drilling..
I wouldn't blame any of you for worrying about drilling into your beautiful cars. It's almost like operating on your nearest and dearest. At least you all now know that it's only holes and not a big rectangle.

If I were in your shoes I would start with the large hole and then place the assembly next to it to check that you've got the right spacing for the second hole. It's the latter that is most critical as it is that one that houses the plastic retaining lug that makes it 'snap' into the fender.

Good luck Chaps!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Thanks. the holes look like 20 mm and 7 mm in diameter. Is that your measurement, also?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I did this to my 1981 911SC-Turbo and used a pneumatic drill (let my body man do that drilling). I made up my own wiring harnesses. Don't forget to paint the edges of the cut and let it dry thoroughly.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:09 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Thanks. the holes look like 20 mm and 7 mm in diameter. Is that your measurement, also?
The curviture on that thick tape measure and whether or not I was pointing the camera parallel whilst holding the measure, means that accurate measurements shouldn't be read from the photos (it was there to just give the concept of scale). This does not help anyone...and since these are the most critical measurements for you all...I've just been out and measured the hole dimensions with a flat rule.

The hole dimensions from inside edge to inside edge are:

Large hole diameter = 24 mm
Small hole diameter = 7.5 mm
left edge of large hole to right edge of small hole = 40 mm

From this you can calculate that the two centres of each hole are separated by 24.25 mm.

Sorry I don't have anything more sophisticated than a rule to make the measurements (but I did check these extra measurements with two different makes of rule).

Quick Reply: Euro Turn Indicator