Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 964 Forum
Reload this Page >

I just took my 964 out - and I think it's saved me lots of money!

Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just took my 964 out - and I think it's saved me lots of money!

Old 02-26-2007, 11:36 AM
DaveK
Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just took my 964 out - and I think it's saved me lots of money!

I've mentioned in another thread that I'm not entirely happy with my car situation at the moment. I am completely happy with the 964 (even though I haven't been in the past) - but the daily driver (Supra) is a bit disappointing so far.

I don't know what I will do yet - but I have been considering a number of options. One of which is to turn the 964 back into a daily driver - although I probably won't because I like the fact that I can fix niggling problems at my leisure.

One other option was to sell both cars and look for a 993TT. However - I have the day off work and I just went out in the 964 down my favourite local twisty road - which turned out to be empty.

Apart from the fact that it was a huge amount of fun, it made several things very clear :

- I had absolutely no desire for more power
- I wouldn't want the unpredictability of a turbo on roads like that (even though I love turbos)
- I truly believe I wouldn't have had even the smallest amount more fun if I'd been driving a ú50K 993TT.

So - at least for now, there will be no more browsing pistonheads (at least not for them). I've been planning some work on the 964 for a while (paint, seat recovering, fixing air con etc.) but was holding off from doing that in case I decided to go the 993TT route. But now, I will look into it in more detail.

So - I'd like to officially thank my 964 for saving me about ú30K since I reckon I would have had to find that above what I got for the other cars. In fact - I'm now wondering if I should simply buy another 964 as my daily runaround. That way, a 964 is my daily driver and I can still fix my 964 problems at my leisure!
Old 02-26-2007, 11:43 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a "Rennfax" for another member on Friday and drove a 993TT. Awesome car, but I felt that it wasn't $40,000 superior to my C4. And I totally agree with you on the power issue. After a while it becomes too much for a street car.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:22 PM
TR6
Super User

Originally Posted by DaveK
-I had absolutely no desire for more power
+1
Having just DE'd my 964 RS America at the track this weekend, it just reinforced to me that it will be a LONG time (if ever) that my driving skills outgrow the car.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:33 PM
mada1
User

Agreed. Plenty of HP to get me into trouble and too much fun for words. Also, recently drove a 993, didn't feel quite as fun if you know what I mean.
Good decision an keeping the 964. Maybe an RS in your future instead?
Old 02-26-2007, 12:40 PM
DaveK
Super User

Originally Posted by mada1
Agreed. Plenty of HP to get me into trouble and too much fun for words. Also, recently drove a 993, didn't feel quite as fun if you know what I mean.
Good decision an keeping the 964. Maybe an RS in your future instead?
I know I'm in the minority - but I've never ever wanted an RS, and still have no desire for one. I know I'm completely missing the point - and I'm sure they are fantastic to drive - but I look at them and just think : I lose my electric windows, heated seats, air con etc AND it costs me ú20K more??????
Old 02-26-2007, 01:33 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Another perspective on the 'no desire for more power' front -

Having now got a feel for my RS4 (414bhp), it's surprising how quickly I got used to the extra power over the 964. I'm not saying I still want more, just that the fix of all that extra power can actually be quite a short-lived hit. Pretty soon, it just becomes 'normal' anyway.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:39 PM
cockyapple
User

As beautiful a car a 993TT is..........it is no way ú30K better than the 964.......not in my opinion

Steve
Old 02-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

993TT exhaust note was the main thing that disappointed me. Even with mods, the blowers seem to kill the sound. What do 965's sound like?
Old 02-26-2007, 03:53 PM
kusee pee
User

Originally Posted by DaveK
I'm now wondering if I should simply buy another 964 as my daily runaround. That way, a 964 is my daily driver and I can still fix my 964 problems at my leisure!
Genius, do it!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:28 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Maybe it isn't just a question of "no desire of more power". Perhaps you wanted something different or something new (weren't you tempted by Ferrari?). Sooner or later you will give up on your 964 and move to something better like a 993tt or a GT3. I'm selling mine also.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:34 PM
DaveK
Super User

Originally Posted by zicoramone
Maybe it isn't just a question of "no desire of more power". Perhaps you wanted something different or something new (weren't you tempted by Ferrari?). Sooner or later you will give up on your 964 and move to something better like a 993tt or a GT3. I'm selling mine also.
I did want a Ferrari last year - and I still love the look of them, but I'm still convinced they are too fragile.

I think my main problem at the moment is that the reason I'm looking around / considering options is not because I'm unhappy with the 964, it's that I'm unhappy with the other car. Which unfortunately (or fortunately) means that I don't actually want to get rid of my 964 so I need to find an alternative solution.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:36 PM
PorscheZen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sell Supra.
Buy second 964.
Niggling - Great word.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:47 PM
kusee pee
User

Why don't you buy a second 911 but not a 964? Maybe a Carrera 3.2 or an SC?
Old 02-26-2007, 04:49 PM
DaveK
Super User

Originally Posted by kusee pee
Why don't you buy a second 911 but not a 964? Maybe a Carrera 3.2 or an SC?
It's what I was considering when I bought the Supra and I wonder if I made a mistake.

I am not planning any rush decisions. The Supra is due a service next month and they are going to attempt to fix the handling so I am currently giving it the benefit of the doubt. Unlikely I'll do anything before spring / summer - but am keeping my eyes open.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Chris M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
993TT exhaust note was the main thing that disappointed me. Even with mods, the blowers seem to kill the sound. What do 965's sound like?
993TT with cat bypasses sounds great, as does a 964T.
I'd have to take the RS over the 993TT. Do TTs really cost $100K USD? Here you can get one for around $60K.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: