Sponsored by:

Anyone know this car??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:42 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone know this car??

My friend is interested in this Porsche. If you have any info, on dealer or the car please PM me. Also would like comments on the price. Thanks

http://www.huntingridgemotors.com/ca...d=1736&subcat=
Old 02-08-2007, 05:53 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

I don't know the car, looks nice, but that price is too high. Correct me if I'm wrong but for a 1990 with 70K miles the price should be in the low 20's. But since it's a dealer, I don't know if you can get them to lower the price by $5K. Your friend should also go over the receipts very carefully to make sure that all maintenance and repairs have been performed correctly and on time. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it COULD be a good solid rig. Looks like it needs a little exterior rub-a-dub-dub. No big deal. I've learned that, especially with black, it's really tough to tell how straight cosmetically from pics, especially the little ones. Hard to see the extent of scratches & stone chips. Hopefully some fellow 'lister can eyeball it.

If it's straight and the mechanicals are in good shape, yes I'd agree, $20-21K is about top dollar.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:18 PM
cshaida
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default comp (?) on 90 c4

I just bought a 1990 c4 w 87k. Exterior looks about the same condition. Interior on the one you're looking at is in much better shape--there are no rips in mine but the leather definitely looks well-worn. It had a lot of engine work done 18 months ago which is either good (the famous 964 issues have been dealt with) or not (it needed the work?!)--needless to say I'm banking on/hoping for the former but...Fwiw all the work on the car has been done by Cheech at Rennwerke. price was $19.5
Old 02-08-2007, 10:40 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

I'm not up on the prices and appreciate your help there, I have a 996 and just wanted to help my friend become a Porsche owner.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:58 PM
42empress
Racer

I check that site frequently and he has some nice cars. I would check it out in person, but it is probably a solid car. But, his prices are high from what i have seen.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:48 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

I am aware of the 996 issues, but what are the famous 964 issues my friend should be aware of on on the lookout for?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:46 PM
cshaida
Track Day

Default until you get more knowledgeable response...

I'm the last (ok, maybe just second-to-last) to answer this since I'm new to the whole porsche experience and what I 'know' I've learned very recently from (a) a good friend who's been porsche-obsessed for 20 years, from (b) Peter Zimmerman's book 'The Used 911 Story' and from (c) spending hours reading through threads on this forum. We can hope that one of the many knowledgable veterans responds with a more coherent answer. But in the meantime, I was referring to the dual-mass flywheel issues and the oil leaks that developed on some of these cars at the joining point between the cylinder head and cylinders. There is a LOT of more specific information throughout this forum about oil leaking in particular.

I started out thinking I was going to avoid the 964s altogether because of this but the more I got into the more I realized that these 'famous' issues' were more a matter of being careful in checking out the particular car rather than avoiding the whole model. In my case, the car I bought did in fact have issues but the last owner addressed them (and spent a lot of money doing it) so I felt like I got a great car probably for a slightly lower price because of the general awareness of these general 'issues'. If that makes sense?

Hope someone more qualified adds better information but that's my story...
Old 02-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Issues did vary by year.....and most have been addressed by now. A proper PPI will tell if they have been, and other interesting things about a car.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
I'm not up on the prices and appreciate your help there, I have a 996 and just wanted to help my friend become a Porsche owner.
Does your friend only wants a Coupe? Does he prefer a C2 or C4? We looked for about 9 month before we bought. I looked at several cars and contacted many sellers. There are a couple of car on Autotraders in NY and PA that seem to be in nice shape and worth a look. Both are Targas. One is C2 and the other a C4.

Here is what I know has sold in the past 2 weeks. A one owner 93 Coupe with 36K miles for $25.5. A 90 Coupe (I would have bought it if the first Sales guy I contacted had not blown me off for 3 days) with 72K miles for $20K. I bought a 93 Coupe with 59K miles for less than the asking price of this car.

Keep asking question here and keep looking. There are nice 964s out there for the right price. BTW, I would say that the issues with 964 are probably similar to RMS on early 996. A few had them and significant majority did not. Most have been either addressed by now, are not a major problem, or the owner did not care enough to fix it which means this is the type of car to not buy.

Nader
Old 02-11-2007, 10:23 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Thank you all for your help and comments, my friend asked me my thougths on this particular car beacuse I own a PORSCHE. I'm not sure if he wants a C4 vs C2 or a coupe or cab. I felt a little lacking in my knowledge of 964's having only owned a 996. Knowing how great all the Rennlisters are I thought I'd go to the 964 forum for help. Everyone has been great! Thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone know this car??