Driver Side Door Lock Problem

Old 02-02-2007, 01:53 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 186 Posts
Default Driver Side Door Lock Problem

Yeah I searched and couldn't find a similar issue

Here's my problem. I tried unlocking the driver side door the other day and the door didn't open. The key turned inside the lock freely in both directions, but the door wouldn't move. So I went to the passenger side and unlocked the car with the key without a problem. Once inside the car, I opened the driver side door from the inside using the door handle. All good...

Not quite. When I tried to lock the car later on, it wouldn't lock from the driver side. I tried the passenger side and it locked (only the pass door) and the alarm went off. I tried waiting 4 minutes as described by the owner's manual, but the alarm kept going.

I checked the driver side door again and the button with LED was up, I tried pushing it in, it wouldn't budge. I tried locking again using the key on the driver side, still no go. The key moves freely in both directions but I get no response from the locking mechanism. I tried the switch in the center console, that didn't work either.

I should mention that it's been very cold here and something inside the door may have seized due to that. Or at least that's what I'm saying to myself. I don't want to wait till spring in order to be able to lock my car again.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:30 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

It looks like you're looking at removing the door panel to investigate why the door lock actuator isn't working.

Door Panel Removal DYI

Here's an exploded view of the door mechanism:

It sounds to me that there's a loose electrical connection at the door actuator or it's failed completely.

Kevin
Old 02-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Graham L
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tiny screw on the back of the lock barrel - it works loose, and then the whole mechanism can rotate with no resistance, therefore the actuator wont trip and the door wont open - hence the mechanical system works to allow you to open up from the inside, but you cant do it with the key...just a thought, it's what happened with mine anyway...
Old 02-05-2007, 08:41 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 186 Posts

Yep, that's what happened to me as well. I'm glad the problem is fixed now
Old 06-14-2018, 05:50 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys,

Bringing up an old thread, this sounds like the exact problem I have right now. My driver side door lock won't budge on the inside. I can unlock the door just fine with the key on the outside.

Were is this tiny screw found on the lock barrel before I tear my door apart. You mean the barrel that the key goes into and turns? Thanks
Old 06-15-2018, 08:47 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Here here is a picture showing the screw also in other picture is the micro switch that controls lock

Small screw

Micro switch

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
Hey guys,

Bringing up an old thread, this sounds like the exact problem I have right now. My driver side door lock won't budge on the inside. I can unlock the door just fine with the key on the outside.

Were is this tiny screw found on the lock barrel before I tear my door apart. You mean the barrel that the key goes into and turns? Thanks
Old 06-15-2018, 09:20 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

I’d say though if the door unlocks using the key the problem isn’t the small screw or switch
Old 06-16-2018, 11:02 AM
Neil Savani
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed RS door cards, and am having a similar issue, When the drivers door is closed, everything works fine. But when the drivers door is open, the door wont lock with either the manual lock or central lock, which has caused the immobilizer alarm to go off a few times. Is the issue most likely the small screw coming loose?
Old 06-16-2018, 11:08 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

If that screw comes loose or falls out the lock cylinder just turns and the key won’t unlock the door

Originally Posted by Neil Savani
I just installed RS door cards, and am having a similar issue, When the drivers door is closed, everything works fine. But when the drivers door is open, the door wont lock with either the manual lock or central lock, which has caused the immobilizer alarm to go off a few times. Is the issue most likely the small screw coming loose?
Old 06-16-2018, 11:10 AM
Neil Savani
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnK964
If that screw comes loose or falls out the lock cylinder just turns and the key won’t unlock the door

the key unlocks the door fine when it is closed. when the door is open, the lock seems to be stuck in the unlocked position and wont lock.
The following users liked this post:
Nashville (12-30-2021)
Old 06-16-2018, 11:15 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Neil Savani
the key unlocks the door fine when it is closed. when the door is open, the lock seems to be stuck in the unlocked position and wont lock.
I think that is how it supposed to work drivers door has to be closed to be locked
Old 06-16-2018, 12:28 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Locking drivers door with key sets factory alarm. Central locking button will lock both doors as long as drivers door is shut meaning get out shut drivers door walk around open passenger door hit central lock both doors should lock allowing car to be lock with out setting alarm. I believe only way to shut alarm off is to unlock drivers door with key although never tried unlocking passenger door with key while alarm is going off
Old 06-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Locking drivers door with key sets factory alarm. Central locking button will lock both doors as long as drivers door is shut meaning get out shut drivers door walk around open passenger door hit central lock both doors should lock allowing car to be lock with out setting alarm. I believe only way to shut alarm off is to unlock drivers door with key although never tried unlocking passenger door with key while alarm is going off
Passenger door also has the microswitch, and does handle the alarm functions same as the driver door.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:38 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Here here is a picture showing the screw also in other picture is the micro switch that controls lock

Small screw

Micro switch

Thanks!

Hopefully this is my problem.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:40 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

I’d say though if the door unlocks using the key the problem isn’t the small screw or switch
I'm gonna double check.

Basically the inside lock won't budge. You can see it's trying too though, when I hit the lock button in the center console. I was gonna take each part out and clean and rebuild it. Was thinking it may be something that simple needs to be broke free.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver Side Door Lock Problem