Sponsored by:

How to delete the passanger airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:19 PM
northfire
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Herbie;4412334]
I answer to myself: pin 3 and 4 shall be connected together only to allow engine starting.
QUOTE]

So if i don't connect these pins the engine won't start????

Thanks
Paul
Old 07-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Herbie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, exactly.

If you don't short them, you can listen the engine cranking but it will not start.

It is a protection by Porsche, to insure the airbag connections are OK if you want to start.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cupcar, you forgot THESE steps...I had a helluva time until I found these steps in Flachbau's post for removing the knee pad:

4. Remove the AC/Heating control unit. Requires a special tool which you can make out of a coat hanger. Create two squared bottomed U shaped lengths of coat hanger and slip them in the small holes on the side of the unit's face. You can tell when you've got it right because you will be able to slip the unit out.

5. Remove the control unit cage - the prongs bend up (same as radio cage).

6. Remove the nuts from the 2 bolts embedded in the lower dash that come up through mounting frame. Feel around or use a small mirror to find them. Note the washers for later reinstallation.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be the party pooper:
What happens if you have an accident and the insurance find out the air-bag was disabled?

I was talking about this yesterday with my friend JC911 and we thought that in this province would not be legal and I suppose is the same everywhere else..
Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Well, I can tell you that I've had PLENTY of "accidents" in this car and the airbag still hasn't fired.

SO, with the fact that mine is EIGHTEEN years old...I've willing to claim that those suckers just don't work anymore!

OK, JUST got everything out:

Airbag w/brackets - 6lbs

Knee pad - 7.5lbs

About 1.5hrs worth of work but could do it again in half that...THANKS for the procedures guys!

Some tips:

When removing the cosmetic vinyl/dash cover that conceals the airbag, there are three screws for the bottom piece and walla...the upper piece is a bit more tricky as there are four allen bolts holding it in which are double-duty for the upper dash pad as well...remove those, pull the plastic cover at the end of the upper dash pad and remove the single screw that's in there so you can lift the dashpad up slightly...this will help with getting the bracket for the top piece out as the padding is a little bit in the way of allowing you do to so.

Once you've gotten those four screws out there is a goofy bend-around bracket that will prevent you from sliding the upper cover piece out...gently push BACK across the top of the piece so you push it against the airbag then pull down slightly, you should clear the ledge that holds onto this piece at that point and pull away one PERFECT upper airbag cover section.

There is ONE 10mm nut/bolt holding the rear of the airbag assembly to the chassis of the car...get down there and remove it!

THEN...remember the three screws you removed to get the lower cover piece off?? There are two screws, far right and far left...undo those and you'll release the airbag brackets from the dashboard "skeleton" and then take a 4mm T-allen and remove the four allen screws (similar to the ones that hold the upper airbag cover to the dash) and gently lift out your airbag assembly.

You will still have the section required to screw down the lower airbag cover if you remove those two screws, far left and far right...I'm all back together now and it looks as if the dashboard has never been touched.

NOW, what is this piece you can buy from Rennline?? I have yet to see it but have purchased a few things from them here recently...I'll have to check it out.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:18 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Jeff - that upper airbag cover section is nuts... I can't seem to get the thing off! It's super loose, but doesn't want to slide out! I spent about 40 minutes trying to wiggle it out... needed a break then I'll try it again!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Once you've gotten those four screws out there is a goofy bend-around bracket that will prevent you from sliding the upper cover piece out...gently push BACK across the top of the piece so you push it against the airbag then pull down slightly, you should clear the ledge that holds onto this piece at that point and pull away one PERFECT upper airbag cover section.
Garrett, lifting up the dash pad and pushing back across the top of the piece is the key, there is pretty much some "interlock/safety" design that prevents you from just sliding it out if I recall, tricky-tricky! It all install s back with NO modifications, just reuse screws and whatnot, looks great.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:27 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

a: divorce.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 PM
SDemas
Advanced

Didn't think the cover was too bad. Figuring out you had to remove the lower dash panel was the key.
Then when you have a collection of airbags from race car projects figuring out what to do with them.....
Old 03-29-2010, 04:20 PM
doruiacovescu
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
Well, I can tell you that I've had PLENTY of "accidents" in this car and the airbag still hasn't fired.

SO, with the fact that mine is EIGHTEEN years old...I've willing to claim that those suckers just don't work anymore!

OK, JUST got everything out:

Airbag w/brackets - 6lbs

Knee pad - 7.5lbs

About 1.5hrs worth of work but could do it again in half that...THANKS for the procedures guys!

Some tips:

When removing the cosmetic vinyl/dash cover that conceals the airbag, there are three screws for the bottom piece and walla...the upper piece is a bit more tricky as there are four allen bolts holding it in which are double-duty for the upper dash pad as well...remove those, pull the plastic cover at the end of the upper dash pad and remove the single screw that's in there so you can lift the dashpad up slightly...this will help with getting the bracket for the top piece out as the padding is a little bit in the way of allowing you do to so.

There is ONE 10mm nut/bolt holding the rear of the airbag assembly to the chassis of the car...get down there and remove it!

THEN...remember the three screws you removed to get the lower cover piece off?? There are two screws, far right and far left...undo those and you'll release the airbag brackets from the dashboard "skeleton" and then take a 4mm T-allen and remove the four allen screws (similar to the ones that hold the upper airbag cover to the dash) and gently lift out your airbag assembly.

You will still have the section required to screw down the lower airbag cover if you remove those two screws, far left and far right...I'm all back together now and it looks as if the dashboard has never been touched.

NOW, what is this piece you can buy from Rennline?? I have yet to see it but have purchased a few things from them here recently...I'll have to check it out.
Hello!
CAn you help me out for installing airbags in a non airbag 90 c4? Some pictures would be great.
Tnx!
Doru
Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 AM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
What I did in my car was use part #92861222000, which is the same cut off they use in the cup cars. You get access to the airbag ecu in the center console, disconnect the harness from the aibag ecu and plug in the bypass. Shuts all the lights down, disables the airbags, and is totally reversable.
I have the airbag jumper plug in my 964T because I am using a 930S non-airbag steering wheel.

Are you sure the jumper plug also disables the passenger side airbag? I want to carry a young child in the passenger seat so I don't want to take any chances!

Thanks
Old 05-04-2011, 04:08 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't think Porsche approves the jumper plug as a "full airbag delete", and therefore doesn't approve use of a baby seat.

Thomas
Old 05-05-2011, 02:00 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

I had to have the local Porsche dealer confirm that the airbag is disabled from the use of the jumper plug in my car (91 C2) before St. Johns ambulance would install my seat for me. Took to the dealer, they inspected and gave me confirmation on my receipt that the passenger airbag is disabled. Even spoke to the technician personally and he told me that it does. Little reassurance but something.

FYI-I don't drive with my daughter in the car any more, bought another family car so she will have to wait until shes old enough to sit in the back. Just too nerve racking having her in the front.

Quick Reply: How to delete the passanger airbag?