Sponsored by:

Can I drive without the speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:17 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I drive without the speedo?

I may need to use the 964 in the next few days. I haven't replaced the blown bulbs yet - so I don't really want to push all the clocks back in. Can I leave the speedo out, and just bolt the steering wheel back on? Will it cause any warning light problems? I have no airbags if that makes a difference.

Obviously I won't see my speed but the camera detector would solve that (not sure what the police would think if I got stopped though!)
Old 01-09-2007, 01:36 PM
jdodson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about the speedometer, but I had problems when I removed the clock and ran the car without it. Apparantly a lot of things interconnect with the various warning lights in the clock, and it caused problems.

Jim
Old 01-09-2007, 05:25 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
I don't really want to push all the clocks back in.
Without a clock I don't think the alternator will charge the battery?

Can I leave the speedo out, and just bolt the steering wheel back on?
Just push the gauges back into place but not all the way, leave them a little loose. They're still plugged in so they aren't going anywhere and they'll be no problem to remove again.

Will it cause any warning light problems? I have no airbags if that makes a difference.
If you had airbags and no clock and turned the ignition you would trigger a fault code in the airbag controller that would require a Bosch Hammer to reset.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:04 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Thanks.

I actually had to use the 964 sooner than expected, starting today and for the rest of this week. When it came down to it, I didn't fancy driving a car with bits missing / half fitted (I've become a Porsche snob!) - so I assembled it all properly last night. Will just have to pull the clocks out when I get the new bulbs.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:11 AM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

I put a tiny dab of silicone lubricant on the rubber gaskets when I removed my gauges before (it was actually to ease re-install) - I went back a few months later and they came our nice and easy (with a little pressure, as expected).
Old 01-10-2007, 09:40 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I think any of these gauges would come out easier if you had recently removed them (say in the past year) vs. one that has been in place for 15 years...
Old 01-10-2007, 10:04 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I had mine out only recently (to put the LEDs in that I'm now replacing) and used vaseline to put them back in. Were still a bitch to get out though.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:51 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I just had my car serviced and had them take out the tach for me- I tried taking it out last year when I took out my oil temp/pressure gauge to have it re-faced, but couldn't get it past the steering column. I put it back in and figured I'd have the shop pull it out while the car was in for something else (didnt' konw if there was a trick or something). I'm going to have the tach re-faced at North Hollywood VDO and re-install. Re-install is obviously easier
Old 01-13-2007, 09:12 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

My odometer died and I have been driving without a speedo for a month. You do get a light but no problems otherwise.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:19 AM
RSGulp
Racer

If you drive without the speedo installed does the rear spoiler still raise and lower automatically, or do you have to use the manual control?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:26 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I guess Daves original problem is solved but for the record there's no problem driving without the speedo - I've had to on 2 occasions in the last few years - most recently while NHS repaired my odometer and trip mileage mechanism. (Excellent service and work by the way - no affiliation etc)

Cheers
Old 01-15-2007, 08:07 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Originally Posted by rich964rs
If you drive without the speedo installed does the rear spoiler still raise and lower automatically, or do you have to use the manual control?
It seems to go up by itself but not down!

Quick Reply: Can I drive without the speedo?