3.2 vs 964

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 07:57 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Um no.

Originally Posted by DustinTarditi
One other note (on the plus column for the C4) - throw on a pair of all season tires and it'll outperform quatro Audis in bad weather!
Old 12-29-2006, 08:40 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Thanks to all of you. I'm getting a much clearer picture of the two cars. I think what I want at first is a simpler car such as the 3.2. The idea that it is a more "raw" car appeals to me. I like to do a lot of my own maintnance and the 3.2 looks like it would be easier to learn the care of a 911 on. I do understand that the HVAC is rather lackluster on the 3.2 cars. If it's too hot out then I'll probably not drive the car, as well as if its very cold the car will need to stay parked in the garage.

The car I get will be my first Porsche. I already have an '06 VW GTI as well as my '95 M3. The VW is my daily driver. The Porsche is to be a weekend toy as well as an after work decompression chamber as is my M3. I live in a pretty rural area with great roads and have no real traffic to deal with. I would use the Porsche sort of like my motorcycles...that is for entertainment. I'm hopful that I can find a really nice 3.2 for $20K+ or so.

Having said that I hope to move on sometime in the future to a 993 or even a water cooled Porsche (996).

My PCA quest membership is on and I plan on looking in the Mart to see what is available in cars.

Thanks again,

David
Old 12-31-2006, 06:42 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWDavid
Wow! Thanks to all of you. I'm getting a much clearer picture of the two cars. I think what I want at first is a simpler car such as the 3.2. The idea that it is a more "raw" car appeals to me. I like to do a lot of my own maintnance and the 3.2 looks like it would be easier to learn the care of a 911 on. I do understand that the HVAC is rather lackluster on the 3.2 cars. If it's too hot out then I'll probably not drive the car, as well as if its very cold the car will need to stay parked in the garage.

The car I get will be my first Porsche. I already have an '06 VW GTI as well as my '95 M3. The VW is my daily driver. The Porsche is to be a weekend toy as well as an after work decompression chamber as is my M3. I live in a pretty rural area with great roads and have no real traffic to deal with. I would use the Porsche sort of like my motorcycles...that is for entertainment. I'm hopful that I can find a really nice 3.2 for $20K+ or so.

Having said that I hope to move on sometime in the future to a 993 or even a water cooled Porsche (996).

My PCA quest membership is on and I plan on looking in the Mart to see what is available in cars.

Thanks again,

David
Just to be clear, you can get ice-cold AC from a 3.2 if the system is working properly and updated with new hoses and seals.

Finally, don't let anyone tell you that the water cooled Porsches are not real Porsches. All cars are simply different. I would test drive each model and make the decision for yourself.

David, welcome to the world of Porsche. There is no substitute
Old 01-01-2007, 06:01 AM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
Um no.
Sorry - should have said "seasonally appropriate" tires. This statement is based on my experience and the expressed opinions of others... perhaps the quattro has become more capable in the last few model years... I'll take it from your statement that your 2006 A6 is better than the older quattros I've driven.

Quick Reply: 3.2 vs 964