Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in Atlanta familiar with this vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 04:20 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Anyone in Atlanta familiar with this vehicle?

Hello everyone, my first post on this forum! Anyway I’ve actually been in the market for a 993 cabrio but in my research found that many people feel the 964s offer just as much power and “feel” as a 993 but at a fraction of the premium.

So I found a 90 Cabrio outside of Atlanta that I was looking at test driving this weekend. Before I take the three hour drive however I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this vehicle? I know it has high miles but that doesn’t scare me since I know Porsches in general can last for quite some time – my 944 has 130k miles and still pulling strong.

In any case, here is the link:

http://marietta-sportscar.ebizautos....a/Convertible/

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!
Old 12-06-2006, 05:09 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like a nice original example from the pictures and a good price. It has the distributor vent hose upgrade which is good. Check for cylinder head leaks as it is a pre 91 motor. If it isnt leaking by now its been upgraded or probably will never leak. Good luck and welcome to the air cool side
Old 12-06-2006, 06:08 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about this particular car, but I have had a NEGATIVE experience with this dealer. When we moved back to the Atlanta area in May of '05 I stopped in to test drive a BMW 540 they had on the lot. We had just made it out the gate and it was already clear that the transmission had issues (and I say this based on my experience with 6 previously owned BMWs including two of this generation of 5-series). So we turned around, gave the keys back and said we were not interested. The stereotypically slimey sales guy proceeded to lecture me about how my previous experience didn't apply to this car, and it just needed to "warm up", etc. So lets just say that I would have ZERO confidence in this dealer or any car on their lot. If you want to take a chance I would recommend an extensive pre-purchase inspection in order to avoid driving away with an eventual headache of a car.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:24 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

BTW, you might also want to try looking through the PCA Peachstate Region classifieds if you haven't already. I don't know any of the cars being sold, but it might give you a few more options.

http://www.peachstatepca.org/mart/themart.asp?cat=911
Old 12-06-2006, 08:09 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know the car, but the the dealer is a good old fashioned used car dealer. Most of their inventory is from auctions. The folks that shampoo the interior and burn the paint with 2 HP Porter Cable buffers have barely a clue the damage they are doing.

The price is probably very negotiable. If the car pans out you may be able to get a deal on it. It is about 10 miles from me if you get serious and want me to have a look. Don't forget that sales tax will be owed when you register the car in North Carolina.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:35 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
I don't know the car, but the the dealer is a good old fashioned used car dealer. Most of their inventory is from auctions. The folks that shampoo the interior and burn the paint with 2 HP Porter Cable buffers have barely a clue the damage they are doing.

The price is probably very negotiable. If the car pans out you may be able to get a deal on it. It is about 10 miles from me if you get serious and want me to have a look. Don't forget that sales tax will be owed when you register the car in North Carolina.
I agree 100%
Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

So when are we atlanta guys gonna get together anyhow????

JERRY
Old 12-06-2006, 10:41 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717

JERRY
Wish I could, but I relocated back to New Jersey. That's a switch Huh... Kennesaw Georgia to Monroe Township New Jersey.
I wanted to stay, but the wife did not like the south at all. Well at least I'm back with my family........
Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 PM
MadHungarian
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might also check the AJC.com listings.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the answers everyone! The car is a reasonably priced, a nice color (although I wish the interior were a saddle tan instead of the beige color), and seems like its in decent shape via the photos. But of course there is always a story with these places.

I'll think about it some more overnight and see if I want to pursue it any further - I just happen to see this one on Autotrader and saw it was a relatively close distance to me. The others listed on the Peachtree PCA looked like good leads as well.

...so many decisions!

Actually I do have one question - who would you guys recommend for a PPI and are any of these mechanics available on a Saturday? Otherwise any checks for me would have to wait until the new year - a little too busy these days!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:03 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Sounds like a good idea, but I would definitely prefer to target something after the new year. Things are really hectic right now thanks to shopping, X-mas parties (I had a choice of 4 last Sunday), and the kids basketball.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:05 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Originally Posted by fpena944
Actually I do have one question - who would you guys recommend for a PPI and are any of these mechanics available on a Saturday? Otherwise any checks for me would have to wait until the new year - a little too busy these days!
The dealer (choice of Jim Ellis or Hennessy here in Atlanta) is always an option, but requires prior planning. I may know someone else, but I need to check first if he would do a PPI.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:50 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't go look at this vehicle this weekend since I figured a PPI wouldn't be possible. If its still around after the new year I'll head down and set something up ahead of time. Otherwise I'll move on to the next one!

Thank you all!
Old 12-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/911-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: Anyone in Atlanta familiar with this vehicle?