Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Sounds perfect (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/315830-sounds-perfect.html)

epoch911 12-04-2006 12:57 PM

Sounds perfect

Am looking to get my '90 964C4 wired for sound on the (very) few occasions that I don't want to listen to my own personal 3.6 surround sound symphony. Now my C4 came with the weakest stereo known to man (with woeful FM reception) and wondered if anyone had any thoughts or advice on possible poitfalls? Am thinking Becker head unit as am not a big fan of digital blinking lights and they seem to fit well with the overall look of the dash. Am also looking for a completely new speaker set up (maybe with sub if I can figure out where to put it). Budget is not limitless of course...Am UK based so any locally available product references would be really helpful.
Thanks
Ant

DaveK 12-04-2006 01:11 PM

I think Becker is a popular choice for 964s (although I don't have one). For speakers - a lot of us have Infinity components. Not too difficult to fit and are a whole lot better. I got mine online - although without a good search of my emails I can't tell you where.

epoch911 12-04-2006 01:16 PM

Thanks Dave...will look into Infinity...and for goodness sake change your Avatar! Just not safe for working hours!!

DaveK 12-04-2006 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by epoch911
Thanks Dave...will look into Infinity...and for goodness sake change your Avatar! Just not safe for working hours!!

Ah, if you'd been here in the old days..... this is the acceptable one........

Bluey964 12-04-2006 03:13 PM

I have just put in the new Becker Grand Prix - plays MP3 CDR's and also has integrated bluetooth handsfree for the mobile phone. Replaced a nice Alpine unit as that looked a bit too bling! So far very impressed with it - also have the iPod interface on order which should be nice toy.

Not sure of the power of the actual head unit as I have a separate amp from my speakers and feed it from the pre-outs, and also have a small clarion powered sub for bass.

Speakers - recommend Focals, but pricey and not easy to find. Great sound, and can take high input levels without distortion.

TR6 12-04-2006 06:10 PM

Or you could just pull the sound system out completely and save a little weight! :D

wsybert 12-04-2006 11:40 PM

I spent the money, upgraded the stereo and rear speakers (6x9's, wanted more bass). I wish I would have spent the money on upgrades. My new exhaust sounds sooo sweet, i never listen to the stereo. If I did longer trips or it was a daily driver, then I probably would not regret it.
I did Infinity Reference 6x9's in the rear, they just fit depth wise. Much better bass, but you have to cut your rear deck to fit them. My Pioneer head unit drives the system nicely.
I looked at the sub option... would need custom boxes on the rear floor, behind the seat (that's where I have seen them most), plus an amp to drive them (probably under the passenger seat for the amp).
Just my $0.02.

wf758 12-05-2006 12:15 AM

Check out www.caraudioinnovations.com. They advertise in Excellence all the time. No idea if they are good or not, but appear to have some ideas.

sundog 12-05-2006 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by willfranklin
Check out www.caraudioinnovations.com. They advertise in Excellence all the time. No idea if they are good or not, but appear to have some ideas.

I have the rear footwell 8" subs that they sell in mine. I've wired them up to a poweramp, and they put out plenty of sound. Good guy to work with, and they came covered with the right color carpet for mine, linen.

Greg_L 12-05-2006 04:31 AM

Ant, Andy has one of these subs, and i was impressed by it.
clickme

no affiliation but these guys are good, and offer deals from time to time.
www.caraudiosecurity.com

38D 12-05-2006 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by epoch911

Looks fine to me

Bluey964 12-05-2006 06:09 PM

That is the Clarion sub I have an it fits into the rear footwell - adds nice kick to the bass. Found it on ebay new for 1/2 the price of the shops!

stevepaa 12-05-2006 06:56 PM

I used infinity plates for the rear, focal K2 130KP, audison 2 channel amp and it does it all for me.

Marc Shaw 12-06-2006 04:26 PM

I put Infinity Reference front and rear with an iPod-ready Alpine head-unit but have to admit I use it very little as the 8-cylinder sound track sounds so much better. :D

Marc

DWS964 12-07-2006 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I put Infinity Reference front and rear with an iPod-ready Alpine head-unit but have to admit I use it very little as the 8-cylinder sound track sounds so much better. :D

Marc

Marc,
When did you do the engine swap? :confused:
I would like to see some pics of your car with a big-block Chevy with a Roots blower stuffed in back. Or, did you turn the transaxle around and put the V8 in the back seat for a mid-engine version? :evilgrin:
Perhaps you can post this in the DIY.

:roflmao:

(sorry, couldn't resist....)