Fabspeed Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:07 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Fabspeed Question

Hello all,

Just have a couple quick question's which I am sure has been asked before. I have a 1990 C2 Carrera Coupe. I would like to get a nice sound out of my car. I was contemplating getting the Fabspeed Primary and Secondary pipe for my car (I am not far from their location) But my issue is:

1. Some people say that quality (fitment) is not that great of either piece and
2. It is way to loud for the street. I hear the sound sample already, but to me; it did not sound that loud. Granted I drive a 2004 Mustang Cobra with Flowmaster exhaust and high flow cat's which I believe is at the edge of being loud......... but nice........

Should I look into the Dansk bypass pipe or just go with Fabspeed? I want to keep the stock Cat Converter and stay with a single tailpipe also. Will replacing only 1 of the 2 pieces make any sound changes?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:20 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if you want to improve the sound, you should consider the cat bypass and an open airbox cover. Fabspeed? Yeah, Fabspeed...I love it.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:29 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either run the primary or secondary bypass, but not both. I wouldn't use FS for either. For more noise and to drop a little weight, run the FS cat bypass.

Noah
Old 12-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Newbium
Intermediate

I have both the Dansk secondary bypass and the Fabspeed Catbypass installed. I'm very happy with the quality of both products, and fitment for both was good.

I installed the secondary bypass last year, and it took about 15 minutes to install it. The change in sound was subtle, but noticeably lower in tone.

I installed the Catbypass this last October during a valve adjustment and tuneup. The difference was more dramatic, but not too loud (unless the right foot is pinned to the floor;-). However, I do make an effort to keep the RPMs low first thing in the morning when I'm pulling out of the garage. I have no wish to **** off the neighbors.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:59 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also running a secondary bypass and cat bypass but still have the OEM primary muffler. I had the secondary bypass first with the OEM cat and the secondary bypass gave the car a nice deep rumble similar to a V8. Great sound. Adding the cat bypass increased the sound level slightly and I can hear more burbling, but its not dramatically louder with the cat bypass. I have not removed the primary muffler but suspect it would be way too loud combined with the secondary bypass (essentially, I'd be running with no mufflers at all).
Old 12-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the FS dual outlet with a FS cat bypass. Sounds great, no resonance and just roll the windows up to talk on the phone. My car came with these installed and the muffler does not hang on the factory hangar well at all. I called FS and they said it was correct? So I took it off and cut and bent the hangars on both the car and muffler and made it better. Still not the quality of hangar it should have IMHO. But I did get it not to rattle any more.
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2006, 09:29 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

I have the Fabspeed Dual Outlet Muffler and it sounds great. I am going to the Fabspeed headers system soon and will have the complete muffler for sale in January if you are interested. Go to www.fabspeed.com/964C2_C4_RS.html and see the dual outlet muffler. Mine is 18 mos old with about 5000 miles in case you are interested. It is still on my 1990 C2.

JimC.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:38 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hjcarlin72
I have the Fabspeed Dual Outlet Muffler and it sounds great. I am going to the Fabspeed headers system soon and will have the complete muffler for sale in January if you are interested. Go to www.fabspeed.com/964C2_C4_RS.html and see the dual outlet muffler. Mine is 18 mos old with about 5000 miles in case you are interested. It is still on my 1990 C2.

JimC.
Jim,
I note no heat exchangers with the FS headers, and the large muffler is at the worst place for weight reduction. What about the B&B with(marginal) heat exchangers and dual muffler outlets - eliminating their muffler?

If heat is not an issue in your concern, what about some of the other header+mufflers, such as SCARGO or Protomotive?

Noah
Old 12-05-2006, 09:34 AM
cobracarrera
Pro

Originally Posted by TR6
I'm also running a secondary bypass and cat bypass but still have the OEM primary muffler. I had the secondary bypass first with the OEM cat and the secondary bypass gave the car a nice deep rumble similar to a V8. Great sound. Adding the cat bypass increased the sound level slightly and I can hear more burbling, but its not dramatically louder with the cat bypass. I have not removed the primary muffler but suspect it would be way too loud combined with the secondary bypass (essentially, I'd be running with no mufflers at all).
Wow,
Thank you all for the information and quick response. I will definatley look into the exhaust soon. It's time for the car's check up and I will probably have the exhaust done at the same time.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:46 AM
cobracarrera
Pro

JimC.
Hey Jim,
I picked up the red RSA wing and decklid from David this past weekend. I cant wait to get it painted and installed. I wonder if the wing and decklid will be difficult to install. I will most likley be using DJ's Autobody up in Morristown N.J. Everyone seems to say that they do an excellent job and have years of Porsche work under their belt.. I heard about the same great reccomendation about Bodymotion down the southern part of N.J. I wonder who would be better in making adapters to mount the decklid to my hinges, or should I just get different hinges?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:34 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Originally Posted by cobracarrera
Hey Jim,
I picked up the red RSA wing and decklid from David this past weekend. I cant wait to get it painted and installed. I wonder if the wing and decklid will be difficult to install. I will most likley be using DJ's Autobody up in Morristown N.J. Everyone seems to say that they do an excellent job and have years of Porsche work under their belt.. I heard about the same great reccomendation about Bodymotion down the southern part of N.J. I wonder who would be better in making adapters to mount the decklid to my hinges, or should I just get different hinges?
CobraCarrera,

I am not picking my RSA wing up until 12/29 in St. Louis. The gentleman that I am buying mine from has hinge adpaters already made. It will be a while before I get mine installed. Let me know how you make out. What color are you painting yours. My car is Guards Red but my spoiler is white so I will be painitng it myself in January, I Hope. Post some before and after Pics so we can see the final result.

JimC.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:42 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Originally Posted by N51
Jim,
I note no heat exchangers with the FS headers, and the large muffler is at the worst place for weight reduction. What about the B&B with(marginal) heat exchangers and dual muffler outlets - eliminating their muffler?

If heat is not an issue in your concern, what about some of the other header+mufflers, such as SCARGO or Protomotive?

Noah
Noah,

Fabspeed has the header system with heat. They just don't show it on their web site. I am going that route as I like the way their system attaches to the muffler with ball and cup mounts instead of flanges. Also my Mechanic recommended it. As far as the Fabspeed muffler I have now, it replaced the stock muffler and secondary bypass so I figured the weight savings was neutral at least. Besides it sounds great!! I just had my engine rebuilt and we added (my mechanic that is) Web Cams and my mechanic suggetsed a header system to relieve some backpressure so we could take full advantage of the cams. We will also have to have the aftermarket chip I have reprogramed for more fuel at full throttle to make it all work. As Tim Taylor always said "MORE POWER"!!!

Jim C.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:07 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Does anyone have run a primary bypass with a cat bypass combination alone? If so, what is the sound like? ( I have primary already.)

It seems that the secondary bypass with a cat bypass is a more common combo. So why not the primary with a cat bypass? Too loud?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:20 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

CobraCarrera,

I am not picking my RSA wing up until 12/29 in St. Louis. The gentleman that I am buying mine from has hinge adpaters already made. It will be a while before I get mine installed. Let me know how you make out. What color are you painting yours. My car is Guards Red but my spoiler is white so I will be painitng it myself in January, I Hope. Post some before and after Pics so we can see the final result.

JimC.
Jim,
I need to paint my white . Grand Prix White to be exact. I got in touch with Bodymotion today and I will be dropping of the car after X-Mas. Approx cost to paint and install wing the proper way per Dave at Bodymotion will be around $800.00 to $900.00 dollars. I may not have to change the hinges per Dave. He said that my 1990 car could have had two options for hinges and I may not need an adapter. Either way it will still look good when I'm done.

Andy
Old 12-05-2006, 10:34 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We will also have to have the aftermarket chip I have reprogramed for more fuel at full throttle to make it all work.
Jim, who is going to do the reprogramming on your chip? I'd like to find someone who does dynamic chip reprogramming here in the US.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Question