Sponsored by:

OT : The reliability of Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:05 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT : The reliability of Porsche

My g/f had a family crisis this morning (nothing life threatening) which means we need to travel half way across France tomorrow, returning Thursday. Driving is simpler than flying, because we'd have to either hire a car for a 200 mile drive from Paris or spend half the day messing about on trains.

Can't take the Supra because it has handling issues at the moment and I don't trust it for a 1000 mile round trip on motorways. It was due to have shocks replaced this week but guess that will have to wait now.

Can't take my g/f's car because it needs a new exhaust - and I don't want to do 1000 motorway miles in a Ford Ka.

Which means that the car I trust to get us there and back is my 17 year old 964. Bet it will be the most fun too!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has some minor issues, but its never left me!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Dave.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck Dave... Hope everything is okay!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:14 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The drive will probably do it good! Hope all turns out well for her.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:38 AM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

I did the 1500 miles trip to lemans (via swindon!!), and only one minor problem with clutch end stop plate. Other than that no problems. Breakdown insurance was expensive £60/week. But worth it I guess. Good luck !!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:51 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by CraigyB
I did the 1500 miles trip to lemans (via swindon!!), and only one minor problem with clutch end stop plate. Other than that no problems. Breakdown insurance was expensive £60/week. But worth it I guess. Good luck !!
I already have RAC cover for the UK - I just added european cover for the whole year. Having a French g/f means it probably won't be the last time we drive over there. I think it is pretty expensive - especially because of the age of the 964 - but because I was already a member, and because I belong to a recognised enthusiast club they (alledgedly) waived the loading. Cost me £85 for the year, which didn't seem too bad.

I'm quite looking forward to it - although the last time we drove there we had a BIG argument about the route (surpising, considering I have sat nav). Think we'll agree on the route before we leave........

I think I will be allowed to go fairly quickly since she wants to get there as early as possible - but will have to look out for the French police.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:19 AM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

Safe travels - hope things are ok for your G/F.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:54 AM
epoch911
Track Day

Hope the trip goes OK...am a recent convert to 964 ownership and would love a blast across France...although my missus is half German so a trip to meet her folks might be even better. Just remember if you have a radar / camera detector (RoadAngel etc), take it out of the car. Highly illegal in France and carries a MASSIVE fine just to have it in the car...even if it's not plugged in / charged etc.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:20 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by epoch911
Hope the trip goes OK...am a recent convert to 964 ownership and would love a blast across France...although my missus is half German so a trip to meet her folks might be even better. Just remember if you have a radar / camera detector (RoadAngel etc), take it out of the car. Highly illegal in France and carries a MASSIVE fine just to have it in the car...even if it's not plugged in / charged etc.
Really? I didn't know that. I do have an Origin Blue - however, the speaker has died on it (again) and it won't update itself anymore, so I'll leave it at home. Plan to shop for a Road Angel in the new year.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:41 PM
epoch911
Track Day

Dave
...it seems that the GPS side of things may/may not be OK but the laser side is a definite no...see below from their site...
"Classic Road Angel, New Road Angel, Road Angel Compact Plus, Road Angel Plus:
The legality of GPS and detector systems varies from Country to Country. We do not recommend taking these Road Angel units onto mainland Europe as this can result in a fine and/or confiscation of the device. All laser detection devices are generally illegal to use/and to have in one's posession in Europe."
And what's worse is the French seem to have bought a job lot of Gatsos, judging from what I saw on my hols. Germany iit is then!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:51 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I looked up the Gatso and seems like its just an awfully small speed zone . . . Looks like a yellow marker on the side of the road that indicates brake test 50 ft!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:57 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
I looked up the Gatso and seems like its just an awfully small speed zone . . . Looks like a yellow marker on the side of the road that indicates brake test 50 ft!
I wish I lived in a country where I had to look it up!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:59 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

LOL!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Porsche_Red
Advanced

Beware of the speed traps - they have even mounted them in the rear of old cars that look like they have broken down at the side of the road and with an englishman driving a german car, need I say more! I also heard of a guy who had his GPS/speed trap warning system destroyed by the police, plus of course I'm sure you are aware that the police hang about at the motorway toll booths and check your average speed against your toll ticket times - entent cordiale indeed.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:22 PM
epoch911
Track Day

You can beat the GATSO of course...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IRwa05TNgA

Quick Reply: OT : The reliability of Porsche