Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 07:02 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

" Are you saying that removing the old gaskets and "cleaning" up the surfaces has revealed pits which are now going to leak regardless of new gaskets and correct torqueing?"

yes

Are these pits something that can be seen with a visual inspection before committing to $500 for all new covers?

yes
Old 12-01-2006, 12:48 AM
eddychan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my 964 for over 4 years now, it had always leaked slightly until I replaced the valve covers, I did ask for advices here and a lot of people told me to clean up and use proper glue, gasket, torque, bolt which I tried them all. In the end, I got a pair of valve covers from Imagine Autos at around 300 US a year ago. Until today, my 964 is still bone dry.

I am not saying all these advices are wrong, I am may be unfortunately simply just fall into this particular problem which changing the valve covers is the solution. I would not say that is a solution for eveyone who has minor leak, in fact I agree that we should try all these methods first before investing the money and get a set of new covers.

Just my own personal experience!

Enjoy your 964!

Eddy
Old 12-02-2006, 10:21 PM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Would re-using the nuts cause you to over torque them later? Since they are locknuts there is some resistance due to that. So, if you reused them, and the locking effect was less, then would you end up putting too much pressure on the cover and gasket?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:55 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

In my case the valve cover nuts are not lock nuts. They are also new and came with a kit from Sunset Imports (no affiliation).

Interesting question, though.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Although I didn't find any specifics on wheel bolt torquing sequence in my Bentley manual, I know that many cars' wheels should be torqued in a star patten. This is what ensures that your wheel is properly centered on the hub. I, too, would want the same attention to detail on the wheels as I would when it comes to torquing the valve covers and anything else on the car. If you think about it, if the wheel is slightly off-center, even by a small amount, it will drastically affect your car's performance, tire wear, etc.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:42 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

So I just got under the car to locate a bunch of leaks and the most obvious ones are coming from the bolt/nut of the valve covers. I got the Tarrett covers, and did have them shaved down. It seems like the leak really is coming from under the nut. I just have the nuts on, with no aluminum washers (crush washers). Would this be enough to result in leaks there?
Old 09-15-2018, 07:54 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

When you look at how the gasket is routed, you can see how the gasket is supposed to keep the studs dry. However, using nuts without the washers may not be a great idea. The are there for a reason and are in every gasket kit I have seen. I suggest you get all new washers and nuts and torque to spec. That should help.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:44 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by cjoenck
When you look at how the gasket is routed, you can see how the gasket is supposed to keep the studs dry. However, using nuts without the washers may not be a great idea. The are there for a reason and are in every gasket kit I have seen. I suggest you get all new washers and nuts and torque to spec. That should help.
Yes, the gaskets were new. I did take them off, and then got the billet ones shaved. The package I got originally didn't have the washers. I don't remember them when I rebuilt the engine. Probably somebody didn't put them back on.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

spending the $50 on some new gaskets w/ washers and nuts may be worth the headache. Oil leaks suck
https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...G127-V848.aspx

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Oil Leaks