Sponsored by:

Mental Error - Problem with Horn

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 03:06 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Mental Error - Problem with Horn

Hey guys - I made a mistake when swapping out my steering wheel months ago, and now to register my car in Missouri I need my horn to work. My car is 90% track, 10% street, so please keep this in mind while reading:

When removing the original steering wheel, I yanked the hot wire going to the horn right out of the stearing column - absolutely didn't mean to - just slipped. I took out as much of the column as I could but could not find any part of the wire.

So, I'm trying to figure out what to do here. My initial thought was to take out the original horns, and place a light aftermarket horn in the trunk, and run the wiring to a button on the dash (next to the headlight switch). The problem is, I'm not sure how to wire it (directly from the battery), and of course put a fuse in.

Any creative solutions here?

Thanks!

Chris
Old 11-08-2006, 03:17 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

I just found this on P-Car.com. Perhaps I can run the existing wires back to the new horn button in the dash?

http://p-car.com/diy/hornrepair/
Old 11-08-2006, 03:46 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

What steering wheel are you using? I have a sparco wheel with a momo adaptor and I used the porsche non-airbag contact, 96465210400, and I didn't have to use either of the wires that I disconnected from the old steering wheel. I know there was a write up in the archives. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:34 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Then what wires did you use? I only see one black wire now.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:07 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Didn't use any. Horn contact pushes into a hole on the steering column switches, and I grounded it ot one of the bolts where the steering wheel bolts to the hub. I can't find it but I know there is a picture in the archives somewhere.

Quick Reply: Mental Error - Problem with Horn