Sponsored by:

OT : What amp do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:35 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT : What amp do you use?

I confess it's not even for the 964 - I'm happy with the sound quality in that - but I want to improve things in the daily car. I am planning to change the speakers (probably to Infinity since they work well in my 964) but I'm thinking of an amp as well.

Unfortunately, the "other" forum doesn't seem to be able to offer advice unless I want to turn the whole of the boot into a sub-woofer and I'm looking for some sensible suggestions (don't want something huge - just something that will allow higher volume without distortion)...... And how much do they cost?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

I would look at this from the point of view of how much you wish to spend in total and work from that. Infinity speakers are great but they are not the cheapest so consider the total cost of them and set the rest aside for the amp, some decent cables and the installation (unless you plan on doing that yourself) and look at what is available in that price range. Unless you are going for something of serious quality you don't have to break the bank to get a good sound.

I'm not familiar with the rear layout of a Supra, is it a metal rear seat back and shelf or is there a parcel shelf? If it's all metal having a sub in the boot will not give great results in terms of sound so some good front speakers and some 6' x 9' s in the back is probably the best option. If it's not a metal shelf and seat back then placing a set of component speakers front and rear with a sub in the boot (even a small 10" one), will give you the best sound for the money.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What head unit and what speakers , not just what brand , and how many ?

Without knowing the details any rec would miss the mark .
All the parts need to match up to work as a team .
Missmatching parts / specs is a no no .
Old 11-06-2006, 06:21 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used an Audison amp in my 964 with the Focals. Sounds nice.

Quick Reply: OT : What amp do you use?