Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly is a 964RS 3.8L?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Morty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a "clubsport"-version of this car for sale in Germany (at EUR 155k!!!!!):

http://www.germansportscars.de/shoper.html

(no affiliation)
Old 11-04-2006, 02:42 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

What a machine! The RS3.8 takes my vote for THE best 911 all day long. Do you think they'll take an offer? I was thinking of putting down a 10% deposit - then they wouldn't see me for dust...!
Old 11-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The 3.8RSR uses the narrow body rear suspension, not the turbo suspension. It is basically a factory version of what I did to my car.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian
The 964 Carrera RS 3.8 parts catalogue also agrees with you.
It might possibly be covered in the November 2003 issue of 911 & Porsche World? It was definitely a street-driven car (in Australia?) but I can't remember if it was a motorsports conversion.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
It might possibly be covered in the November 2003 issue of 911 & Porsche World? It was definitely a street-driven car (in Australia?) but I can't remember if it was a motorsports conversion.
Jason,
FVD were offering Kevlar parts for the 964 from around 96 or 97. If the claim was that it was delivered by Weissach as new (in 1993) with a Kevlar lid then that is false. I think I know the RS 3.8 you are talking about, it's a white one I believe? One of two claimed original RHD versions? As I always say; "show me the papers".
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Cuppie
Racer

Is this the same as the RSR?

Upietz's Porsche Sport '93 confirms ally doors and bonnet.

All quoted figures above stack up, but claims 325bhp
Old 11-04-2006, 09:05 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's the local one that I mentioned. I'm not sure if this one was ever street legal, certainly not in the U.S.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2006, 09:52 AM
jfl503
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

YUM.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian
Nope it has a Turbo-look body based on the 964 Carrera RS body. This is also explained in the Porsche Motorsports 3.8 RS parts catalogue.
It was quite easy to flare the original raw stamped rear panels before they are welded. The same process was used for the 964 Turbo, but the RS 3.8s were assembled at Weissach not on the factory production line with the Turbos.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Didn't the RS 3.8 also have aluminum fenders and doors that Turbo did not have?
Old 11-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Here are some pictures I took of a 3.8 RS in 1993 at tje Porsche Europa Sternfahrt which was the factory's 30th birthday for the 911. Picture was taken at the Ludwigsburg Castle car show that started the party...

Old 11-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Didn't the RS 3.8 also have aluminum fenders and doors that Turbo did not have?
Sorry for the delay in replying, but thanks to a bright spark in Northern Germany and a Norwegian Cruise ship the entire European electrical grid was disrupted and for us all this way down south ended up with many trashed ISPs. Scary situation really.
Anyway I am not aware of any RS or RSR that left Weissach with Aluminium fenders in the 964 series. Whilst the Alu doors are included in the parts catalogue with their own part number the front lid and fenders are listed as "Basis 3.6L Carrera RS". Many of these RSs and RSRs nowadays are fitted out well away from their original configuration including using many Kevlar parts. If one is known with Aluminium fenders then I suggest they have been specially made by an aftermarket source. I certainly have never seen one, but there are many still around so who knows what you will find. I know somebody that has a 993RSR that started life as a 993 GT-2.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:34 AM
Gelatomonster
Instructor

Adrian,

How many 964RS 3.8L are Right Hand Drive?.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:25 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Gelatomonster
Adrian,

How many 964RS 3.8L are Right Hand Drive?.
I have no idea. There is much conflicting information on this subject from none to two so I decided to leave it alone and move on.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:31 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I think with cars like this you have to treat each one as an individual case, simply because (as Adrian has intimated) you could more or less order them with most parts from the Porsche Motorsport catalogue.
As supplied in road car spec the body specification was much as a 964RS Lightweight with the obvious turbo width wings (fenders), bumpers, skirts and the signature biplane spoiler. The bonnet (hood) was aluminium and the doors were steel. As Geoffrey mentioned, the front suspension was built with on the turbo wide track bolt positions whereas the rear was stock 964RS with correspondingly wide offset rear Speedlines. As also mentioned the basic engine was a 102 bore 3.75litre on a 993 style mass flow on a production 964RS intake manifold with 300hp. I have seen a couple of cars built to this specification and from memory one of the original press cars in yellow had all these features. I believe you could also order a Clubsport version of the 3.8RS, again to a similar spec as the 964RS CS with the above features.

From here on as Adrian says, it gets complicated as you pick-and-mix from the catalogue, the problem continuing with the race RS-R versions which would have probably been supplied with the latest upgrades at the point of collection.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by NineMeister
I think with cars like this you have to treat each one as an individual case, simply because (as Adrian has intimated) you could more or less order them with most parts from the Porsche Motorsport catalogue.
As supplied in road car spec the body specification was much as a 964RS Lightweight with the obvious turbo width wings (fenders), bumpers, skirts and the signature biplane spoiler. The bonnet (hood) was aluminium and the doors were steel. As Geoffrey mentioned, the front suspension was built with on the turbo wide track bolt positions whereas the rear was stock 964RS with correspondingly wide offset rear Speedlines. As also mentioned the basic engine was a 102 bore 3.75litre on a 993 style mass flow on a production 964RS intake manifold with 300hp. I have seen a couple of cars built to this specification and from memory one of the original press cars in yellow had all these features. I believe you could also order a Clubsport version of the 3.8RS, again to a similar spec as the 964RS CS with the above features.

From here on as Adrian says, it gets complicated as you pick-and-mix from the catalogue, the problem continuing with the race RS-R versions which would have probably been supplied with the latest upgrades at the point of collection.

I agree and all these years down the track many stories or as I call them myths emerge. My view is that I believe nothing that strays from the norm unless supported by paperwork.
The internet has become the spreader of myth and legend without regard to the facts. If it's on the internet it must be true.
Every one of these cars and "almost" every other 964 built have their own build spec sheet on record at the Factory. Before shelling out any money I strongly recommend any potential purchaser of claimed Porsche specials, says to the seller; "show me the papers" first.
I know quite a few people who have purchased "special model Porsches" in good faith on what they were told, only to find out the truth later on. Sometimes the Porsche may go through a number of owners before the facts finally emerge. Sometimes it ends in joy, but most times it ends in tears and me getting in the pooh pooh again.
Ciao,
Adrian.

PS: Getting the paperwork for any particular Porsche from model year 1982 onwards is getting easier. It sometimes might seem like pulling teeth, but current owners as long as they have a VIN do have access to their records. You just have keep bugging people and often have to pay to get what you want.

Quick Reply: What exactly is a 964RS 3.8L?