Sponsored by:

Need advice on jacking up a 964

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:20 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on jacking up a 964

Can you guys share the common wisdom on how best to jack up the 964? I use two hydraulic floorjacks plus safety jackstands. I know where the four jacking points are under the car, but where do you guys place the jackstands under the car while you have it lifted with the rolling jacks?

I don't feel comfortable working under a car without safety jackstands to back up my two rolling floor jacks. I have an acquaintance whose father was killed when a car fell on him while he was working on it. A cautionary tale if there ever was one.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:33 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Use the engine as the single jack point in the rear; then place jackstands under the "jacking points".
Old 10-30-2006, 12:36 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's a major "stink-bug" pose!
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2006, 12:41 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's another pic showing how I then raise up the front end while the rear is on jackstands. I place the floor jack on the aluminum suspension bracket that runs forward-backward on the side of the jack - not on the A-arm, but on the bracket itself.

The car will actually sit on 3 jackstands which is how I remove the jack and have it on all 4 stands when I'm done.
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2006, 12:42 AM
OUR9II
Instructor

Info here-

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/270035-stupid-jack-stand-question.html

When jacking up the front, I put my jack under the rear jacking point. The front also rises, and I place my stands under the front point. Remove jack and repeat for the other side (if desired).

If I want the car up on four stands, I do the fronts first, then jack under the engine as shown on the link, and place my stands under the rear points and remove the jack. Some are averse to engine jacking, but I have never had an issue, and have never met anyone who has (when performed with care).

The car should rest on the stands, not on the jack (with unstressed stands as the backup).

I test to see that the stands are solid before I get under the car.

You probably know this already, but I just wanted to add the warnings for others who may not.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:45 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OUR9II
If I want the car up on four stands, I do the fronts first, then jack under the engine as shown on the link....
This doesn't work if you have a really low car (at or near RS height in the rear) since the jack won't fit under the engine when the car is tipped with the front end in the air...
Old 10-30-2006, 01:00 AM
OUR9II
Instructor

Originally Posted by garrett376
This doesn't work if you have a really low car (at or near RS height in the rear) since the jack won't fit under the engine when the car is tipped with the front end in the air...
Great point, forgot to add. My '72 is lowered and requires the "board drive over" also mentioned on the link (and Robin's DIY). The 964 is at SUV height and doesn't have the issue.

Even so, I still have to use my smaller floor jack to get under there with the front way up. I will try your method next time. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Be careful with jacking under the engine, a Turbo 3.6 owner discovered that method ruined his engine mounts.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 AM
Cuppie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put axle stands under the front wishbone mountings and rear swing arms.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you jack under the engine, use a hockey puck. But do not keep the weight on engine. In another words, get it high enough for jack stands and than release the weight off the engine.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I do what OUR911 does and if the car's lowered I just drive it onto some wood pieces. I have a piece of 2X4 that sits in the lifting "cup" of the jack so I don't damage the engine. The 101 Projects book suggests using a folded up newspaper which I've also done. I would prefer to have a lift at some point though, it's just so much easier and safer.

c
Old 10-30-2006, 01:32 PM
TR6
Drifting

Thanks for all of the great info! I also plan to purchase a lift one day, but haven't managed to fit it into this year's budget yet!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:31 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg, From this and other threads you've posted in recently, sounds like you and I are both going to be putting our cars on stands for the first time. I'm going to use the traditional get the front up first and then use the engine to get the rear up. I'll be doing a (first time for me) brake job and brake flush and bleed, installing a cup bypass, oil change, transmission oil change, engine cleanup, oil leak inspection, etc.... We'll have to stay in touch. I'm using 4 of the AC hydraulic flat top stands in the attached picture. They are kinda pricey ($179/pr), but I like you don't want to take chances under the car and these seem like they'd be pretty safe and stable compared to the traditional axle stands.

Steve
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2006, 07:15 PM
TR6
Drifting

Hey, Steve, those are NICE jack stands. I need to get some flat top jack stands since all four of mine are axle-type stands. I'm also thinking of buying an additional Sears aluminum racing jack. I already own one and it is perfect, so I'd like to get a second one to replace my other steel rolling jack.

Sounds like you are tackling a lot of projects! I'll be doing my front brakes in the next couple of weeks. I'm also trying to track down some oil leaks, too. Lets do keep in touch!

Edit: BTW, your work bench looks far more organized than mine!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:01 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

This is the method I've used many times with my 993 - should be relevant to the 964 as well.

- I initially drive the front wheels onto a set of short 2x6 boards (Since mine is lowered to ROW+ height).
- Then I carefully raise the rear using an old hockey puck under the center of the engine case.
- Once the rear is about where I need it, I immediately place a set of AC flat-top stands under the rear jacking points.
- I gently lower the engine until the car is resting firmly on the rear stands.

- For the front, I have a 2' piece of 2x6 that I cover with a folded towel. I place the 2x6 on the jack and place this dead center under the front structure - just aft of where the plastic of the bumper attaches to the body (but not under the spare tire well).
- Then I raise the front of the car and place the other two AC stands under the front jacking points. You will notice how easily the front lifts - since the weight of the engine/tranny is now pivoting behind the rear stands.
- I go to the rear again and raise the stands another hole to get the car level.
- At this point, the car is supported rock solid.

Hope that helps

Andreas
The following users liked this post:
BLU 60 (02-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Need advice on jacking up a 964