Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2 or 964

3.2 or 964?
OK, here are the contenders:

1985 3.2 Carrera Coupe
engine rebuild at 160K
Not a drop of oil even after spirited test drive
Perfect documentation for past 10 years
Interior spotless (driver side door gasket only signs of wear)
AC blows cold
Exterior clean with one 18" key mark

vs.

1990 C2 Targa
Engine never rebuilt
leaks oil
No documentation
Interior reasonable
AC blows cold
Exteriorn minor door dings

Competition:
My daily driver with occational DE (Driver's Education?) events and Auto X.

Both cars are within $1000.00 of each other. While I would prefer a Coupe I think I would be happy with a Targa. I live in Northern CA, so I imagine the chance of a leak ruining my day are slim.

Thanks again for your input,

Steve

Old 10-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

3.2 as it seems to be the less immediate one to need anything....
Old 10-21-2006, 01:42 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I shouldn't say it on the 964 forum - I'd agree with Jaime. Unless you really really want a 964 - and given the fact that you looked at both, I suspect you don't - then I'd choose the 3.2. Obviously you will miss some of the "updates" the 964 has - ABS etc. - but there is the advantage that the 3.2 is cheaper to maintain. And in the short term, it sounds like it needs nothing - whereas the 964 sounds like it will need some work.

I also wouldn't rush to buy any car with "no documentation" so even if I didn't want the 3.2, I'm not convinced the 964 would be on my list.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:42 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Oh - and no offence to anybody on the board - but I'd also prefer a coupe to a targa.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Do a search for threads where others have mulled this question over - I think they favor the 964. The 3.2 isn't going to be that different from what you have; an '85 still has the lower hp. motor and the G15 trans. The 964 will be worlds different in terms of power and manners. It has a lot less miles. Leaks oil? Uh-huh, how badly? Some don't, but most do to some extent. They all need something when you buy them, and maybe you're looking at a top-end job, but if you have some $$ left over to address it, I think you'd be happier in the long run with the '90. Paintless-dent and a little touch-up paint can do wonders for door dings; an 18" scratch is harder to fix correctly.

I bought mine before ever having driven a 3.2. Everyone who had told me, "Believe me, you're glad you got the 964." I finally got a chance to drive an older one. They were right.

My targa does not leak, squeak or rattle.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Christer
Race Car

Is there any particular reason why you are looking at a 964 that doesn't sound like a great car and a Targa to boot (as you say you prefer a Coupe)? If it is a budget thing, I would say go for which model you prefer and if necessary save up to get the 964 if that is the car you prefer......

IMHO, I think your selection process is a bit '**** about face' as the British would say....? In other words, I have never found it sensible or useful trying to squeeze a particular car into a particular budget....

Let us know how you get on
Old 10-23-2006, 11:06 AM
MG
AutoX

Hi Steve

The 'old' question....

I'd go for the better car, means the better technical condition, irrespective which type. Both can empty your pocket if in bad shape.

That you don't care if Coupe or Targa is very strange to me...even more strange than the 3.2/964 question.

Greetings

Markus
Old 10-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Steve Viegas
3rd Gear

Thank you all for your time...

After reading everyone's notes, I have come to the conclusion that the 3.2 is probably the right car for me. This is not to say that the 3.2 is a superior performer, but I think it is the right car for my situation.

I purchased a Black on Black 1978 911 SC about 4 years ago. It was not running and needed a lot of work. This is the car, year and color that I have wanted since...1978. Well, by the time I got it running my son was born and I was not able to really get the 1978 911 to where I wanted it to be. Not just running, but something I would be able to drive daily (it is still not there).

While I recogize that performance has always improved with the cars, I have never been able to enjoy my current 911 the way I would like to do. With that in mind, I decided it was time to look for something else. My criteria was, daily driver, coupe, no tail. I wanted something simple.

I stumbled across a Burgundy on Burgundy 1985 on Craigslist. Other than the paint, the car is in great shape. Actually, other than a couple paint chips and the key mark, the paint is in great shape (smooth to the touch). With the work that has been done (including upgrading the A/C to one that works AND that does not use Freon) I feel very good about this car. It hits all of the criteria I was looking for to fill this want.

I was drawn to the 964 because of the performance. A 3.6 motor would be great! I was really surprised to see one on eBay located within just a few miles of me. It is blue with a tan interior (neat color as Porsche is prone to do) and NO tail...unfortunately, it did have a targa top. I talked to the owner of the car. He picked it up at an estate sale in Northern CA. He has driven it for a few months, but now he is ready to get rid of it. He is a dealer. His buy it now price on e-Bay is $13, 250.00 He is hungry. I know $12.5K is available. The current bid is $9.8K.

My decision came back to my basic desires, daily driver, coupe, no tail, and something else that Pelican and Rennlist made me start thinking. The 964 is not a well loved 911. While its performance is fantastic, its resale is not. Therefore, if I purchase the 3.2 and maintain it while I enjoy it, I may be able to, someday in the future, trade it for something newer with a clean pedigree.

Thanks again...

Old 10-23-2006, 11:53 AM
DaveK
Race Car

The 964 is not a well loved 911
Yeah - I hate mine.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

It's all about personal choice and what matters to you.
However, when you say, "The 964 is not a well loved 911. While its performance is fantastic, its resale is not.", I'd have to question that statement.
If I were more enterprising, I'd buy that car and bring it up here. Don't know about the market where you are, but here it would easily bring $18-19K in its present condition.

I'm thinking you kinda had your mind made up before you posted, eh?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I get the reaction " thats a crap 911 " every time I take mine out !!

I bought my C4 as an EVERYday car having first driven a few 3.2s . The weak pricing of the 964 was a plus.
I wanted a 911 that would /could deal with every weather condition just like a Tiger tank ! Hey they were designed by the same company !!

All the best

Geoff
Old 10-23-2006, 12:58 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I actually want my money back. I bought a 911 to show that I really AM better than everyone else. But it turns out that because it's a 964, I'm not.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Preeble
Racer

I think that I would roll the dice with the 964. If you do a search, you will see that this comparison has been asked an awful lot, and being the 964 forum, the folks here tend to be a little biased ;o)

Morever, for a DD, you may find the 85 transmission to be a bit tiring. The HVAC in the 964 is a better system - it is great that the 85 blows cold, but I think that in the long run, you will be more comfortable with the 964's system.

I am also biased towards coupes, but for a DD, a targa could be fun on nicer days.

You will definitely feel the power difference between the two cars and the 964 will feel a little more mannered on the roads.

Worst case is that you have to spend some money on the engine of the 964. That could increase your total cost of the car up to ~$18-$19k. After that, you will have a solid 964. That is not a bad price...
Old 10-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The way you present the info, this is not a comparison of a 3.2 vs. 964 but rather a comparison of a car that's been sorted out and one that hasn't and for the same money the choice is obvious. But again, do you really want a targa or are you just drawn to the car because it's cheap?
Resale value is no reason to buy any car, especially one with over 100K. Cars are depreciating assets unless you're buying something extremely rare.
As far as comparing the 2 models, the 3.2 will be much more similar to the SC than the 964 and if that's the era you're enamored with then go for it. There are tons of cars out there to choose from so decide which model you want then take your time finding the one that fits your budget.

c
Old 10-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Steve Viegas
3rd Gear

It appears as though I offended some people on this board. That was not my intent. My comment regarding the 'love' of a 964 really was reflecting on the resale value of the car. I had tried to allude to possibly upgrading the 3.2 to a 964 later, either that did not come across, or people were just bent because I decided to get the 3.2.

All things being even, I totally agree that the 964 is a superior car, but not all things are equal. That is why I came here. I WANT a coupe, but I could be happy with a Targa. I WANT all the performance I can get, but I will be happy with the performance I end up with...life is about compromise, at least for me.

Steve

Quick Reply: 3.2 or 964