Sponsored by:

Front differential seals

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:30 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front differential seals

My front differential appears to be making quite a mess with fluid all over the plastic undertray. (discovered while doing the fuel pump change).
Searching the forum didn't reveal a whole lot of insight into this problem, so maybe this is an uncommon occurence?
The fluid appears to be coming from the output shafts, however the PET doesn't show any seals on the shafts. All it shows is an "adjusting ring" (950 332 268 00) and a "taper roller bearing" (999 059 064 00). Do either of these parts perform a sealing function? The PET does list a shaft seal (999 113 347 40) but it appears in the diagram to be inside the diffferntial housing?
I did find one person (993 forum) that replaced the input shaft seal. Is it possible for fluid to leak out there, drip down onto the output shafts and get flung everywhere?

Thanks

frank
Old 10-18-2006, 08:00 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you sure its not PS fluid from a leaking steering rack getting blown around?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank,
I am going to replace my front diff seals over the winter.
P/N 999 113 347 40 ( unless Jason knows better ! )

Gradually worsening leak is pretty normal when they give up. Disconnect the axles, take the centre bolt out of the flanges. Pull the flanges and then seals.
I am going to take a look at the flanges at the seal contact area and decide if anything needs to be done.
Pushing the new seals in with limited ! access can be fun. Normal PIA 911 job.

All the best

Geoff
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 PM
David P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My front diff has been leaking since I bought the car. I've had all the seals changed, and now its not leaking, but there is a very slight weep from it. Apparently its fairly common for the front diff to weep a bit.

DavidP
Old 10-19-2006, 02:15 AM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's not PS fluid - my PS reservoir is still full after changing the fluid about 18 months back.
however, when I (finally) got the fill plug out of the front diff I stuck my finger in the hole to feel the level (I'm part dutch, so sticking my finger in a - oh never mind) I could only feel the wetness of the housing inside
I topped up the fluid (took about 200 ml by the eyeball judgement) and noticed new wetness under the car so it's leaking pretty bad I figure. Haven't put the car up again to check the level yet but I'm sure it's low again.

Thanks for the part number Geoff - I'll see if I can get those through the local shop.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:34 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Does anyone have or know of a DIY thread on these seals front and back? I'm going to be doing these seals in the coming days and don't want to open it up and find I can't do the job.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Bump...

I found a DIY for diff seals on a 968. Are ours the same? I don't have the rennlist thread link in front of me. Looking to do this tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Sorry haven't done it myself. My mechanic did it about 7 years ago when I didn't have time to do it myself. I remember, he said that it he ended up dropping the whole front suspension to gain access.

Please keep us posted on what you learn.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:51 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Rob , I'll write this up in the suspension madness thread, but honestly this job is so easy, we are all idiots for not doing it as matter of course when we have done cv boots. If the axles are out anyway, it's an extra small job to change a seal that has to be toast after 25 years. Wait till you see the seal and how it works. You'll be amazed it lasts five years.

Anyway. If you look in the shop manual, look at the photo of the front diff. The entire job is explained in that photo. Couldn't be easier. Except it's a pita to get the old seal out. But you take out the 17mm bolt, slide out the flange. Pry out the seal, grease up the new seal, press that in. Push the flange back in, and torque the bolt to 44nm. Use a long m8 bolt through the holes on the flange to stop the flange from turning when you torque the 17mm bolt. Done.

Oh, dump the tranny or diff fluid first...

Refill fluid when done. And done. Easy job.
Except for when i screw stuff up...lol. One of the seals went in wrong and I had to peal it out and ruined it. So we ordered another and when that comes I'll finish the other side of the rear.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:11 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree- the front diff output seals are easy-peasy.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:29 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Btw. This tool from lisle would make this job infinitely easier...

Name:  photo292.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  27.1 KB

So one is coming for the next time I do this.

Quick Reply: Front differential seals