Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 04:43 PM
DarrylC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler

My oil cooler is leaking and needs to be replaced. Where is the best/least expensive place I can get a new oil cooler from? The best price I have run across is $300.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure others will chime in with a link or two.. But $300 seems like a pretty good price.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:08 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Is it the oil cooler at the front of the car? I'd be surprised to hear that an oil cooler failed (not that I'm any expert, just surprised). Did it crack? Is it possible that it's simply the aluminum crush washers?

I ask because, I've got a pretty decent leak from my front oil cooler area.. and I'm hoping.. it's nothing major myself...
Old 09-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
Is it the oil cooler at the front of the car? I'd be surprised to hear that an oil cooler failed (not that I'm any expert, just surprised). Did it crack? Is it possible that it's simply the aluminum crush washers?

I ask because, I've got a pretty decent leak from my front oil cooler area.. and I'm hoping.. it's nothing major myself...
On my last 964, the Oil Cooler rusted & started to leak oil, so it does happen. A messy job to replace too!
Old 09-24-2006, 06:43 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was replaced at 200k km, leaking, clogged with debris, compromised cooling. Never any oil on the ground, just a very slow accumulating leak. $300 sounds good to me.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:14 PM
DarrylC
Intermediate

Thanks for the information!! I went ahead and ordered the oil cooler - since I am in there I will go ahead and replace the hoses that are connected to it. From the searches I have done in this forum it appears that these are very expensive hoses. Most people are suggesting going with OEM rather that having a hydrolic shop rebuild the hoses. Where is the best place to get these - the dealership even with PCA discount will be expensive.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:30 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Sunset Porsche in Portland, OR has the best prices I could find.

Last edited by stevepaa; 02-25-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:05 PM
braol
Advanced

I got my hoses at Pelican Parts. Hydro shops can't rebuild the lines unless you source the parts yourself (I tried). REALLY check your hoses first. My hoses were leaking and I swore up and down that it was the cooler. It leaked right under the cooler...I ran the car (warm) up on jack-stands for half an hour looking at the cooler with a bright light...etc...... I even ordered a new cooler. In the end it was the hoses, but I figured it was worth replacing everything because it was all apart and a new cooler gave me peace of mind. The job took a few days because I wanted to be careful. The part I enjoyed least was removing all the little nuts on the door sill and back by the oil hose union. I also hate greasy hands on greasy tools. Job took longer than it was hard.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:49 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Just replaced my hoses yesterday. Those two hoses were each about $300 from Sunset.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:16 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Just got my oil cooler from Porsche, Sunset, and this one does not seem to use the same fittings as the old one. This one does not appear to use washers underneath the junction fittings into the top of the oil cooler.

Any one else seen this? Did you just use as is?

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler