GHL 2

YES! I do know it is not a 911/964/993.

Feel free to crank up the volume
Old 09-20-2006, 06:49 AM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
If looking for a trackday set up for the UK, maybe you need to think outside the box. For instance Hayward and Scott do a nice looking system which is decatted and only has a single box across the back of the car. It doen't need a g-pipe. They claim good power and noise control and while I haven't seen/heard their Porsche system, I know of other makes of car where H&S have been the best at combining power with silencing.
Simon

I'm fairly interested on the H&S systems as well but like you the noise issue is something I would be concerned about. The system is only £50 more expensive than a new secondary silencer from opc nottingham.

I spoke to Ian at H&S and he said he's never had any complaints about the noise levels from the 964 sports system but couldn't say what it did measure at (I suppose diff. cars produce diff. levels dependant on mods etc)

He did say that the system comprised of a de-cat but using a silencer instead of the cat + primary and then straight to tail pipe.

Has anyone got the H&S systems on this board? checked on pcgb forum and had no answers...

Rob
Old 09-20-2006, 07:16 AM
IanR
Racer

The H+S system sounds ideal if it can keep the noise down below 105dB - 100dB would be even better. I'm currently running a standard system, except for a cat bypass - and struggle to meet 100dB. Previously had a cup pipe as well, which came in at about 105dB but it's marginal.

Edited to add:

Just had an answer from H+S re my enquiry about their exhaust -

"Thank you for your enquiry.

The price for a silencer with single tail pipe from the cat is £425, with a static db reading of approximately 98.

All prices are exclusive of fitting/delivery and VAT.

Regards

Ian Reeve
Manager"

Last edited by IanR; 09-20-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:51 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

My experience of H&S is through the Japanese car scene and I have had exhausts off them. I have always been impressed. When I had one on my Evo 7 Extreme (hence the name!!), they were the leaders when it came to most power from a system. They have also solved noise problems on a few cars I know of, ususally without a drop in power.

However, very recently I saw some back to back tests with some other Japanese tuning products and H&S have been upstaged on the power front. Maybe it's unfair to judge them based on that, as the other companies only made tuning stuff for Jap cars and the tests didn't include noise.

To me, what they propose makes the most sense. The box across the back of the car seems to me to give the biggest chance of silencing as well as giving teh best route for exhaust gasses. I don't believe that there should be back pressure issues and it seems that their complete system does stack up power wise against others. However, for me to make the change I need to be sure there wouldn't be more than a few bhp drop while at the same time, the system needs to be no noisier than about 100db.

So, the question is, who has tried one and have they tested it! I am fed up of being a guinee pig!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
Christer

Do you know what noise levels your GHL system produced? In addition, is it single tail pipe?

Thanks

Simon
It is single tail pipe with headers and heat. I am not sure how loud it is but I would say it is not asl oud as my car is now at around 107DB. The GHL system weighs 22kgs.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:47 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Christer, didn't your car come out at 106/7dB at Goodwood???? My G piped car came out at 103/4dB when they measured them..As they said I'm on the borderline of noisey trackdays..

Kevin
Old 09-20-2006, 12:34 PM
964rh
Pro

All

Depending on whether someone I'm in contact with sells me his secondary silencer, I am going to order one of the H&S systems. The one I'll be going for is the silencer accross the back out to the tail pipe and the cat that's really a silencer.
If this does happen I'll post up the noise results.

Regards

Rob
Old 09-20-2006, 01:07 PM
PWW
Instructor

Ok so I just got off the phone to H&S and have placed an order for there CAT bypass with silencer (EURO pre muffler type) and there Primary silencer type box with single exit. All in is £705 which is what was quoted for a Fabspeed without the decat.
Should take four weeks for the build as its a made to order system.
Funny enough they have had a recent interest in there system
Will post pics when it gets here.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:21 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

PWW
Good on you. Now, in the interest of science (and me in particular!!), can we have some more info. What spec is your car, ATM. Have you had a power test recently? Have you been noise tested?

Many thanks

Simon
Old 09-20-2006, 01:39 PM
PWW
Instructor

My car is currently totally Standard engine wise having purchased in May of this year.
So far have started working on suspension side of things with PSS9's,FVD monoballs,H&R anti roll bars front and rear and powerflex bushes on front control arms.
Calipers have been sent to BiggRed for refurb and will be using EBC redstuff pads and Zimmerman sport discs, Have also fitted Goodridge brake hoses.
Once all thats finnished will take for a full alignment and then in the interest of 'Science' will take to a RR for a baseline Figure.Anyone know where the closest 4wd RR is to SE London? who'll let me do an exhaust change in between runs?
I think maplin do a cheap DB meter so may get one of those and do a before and after noise level check and post the results.
Watch this space!!
p.s. Engine mods to follow as wallet allows!!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:02 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

I am not sure about the RR, but I will ask. I would suspect it would be easier to do a before and after as 2 sesions. I would certainly be interested enough to offer to contribute to costs.

I might also be able to get the loan on a decent db meter. I know a lot of people who will be interested. Seeing you are taking the rsiks, you should see if you can do a deal whereby you get commision on any sold on the back of it. I suspect that if it is as good as we all hope, H&S could get 10-15 orders pretty quickly.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:58 PM
PWW
Instructor

Hi Simon thanks for the offer however this one will be on me.
I'll be trying to get things done on the same day as so many discussions I've had with others in the past mention weather conditions have an impact on readings and as its just the exhaust being changed I'm not expecting Huge results so want to keep all possible variables to a minimum.
Been having a search and SurreyRollingRoad appears to be the closest with a 4wd setup.
Would be great if I could get comission from H&S will have to have a chat with them when its made.
Also had a call around and a db meter is covered too.
Will keep you all informed in around 4 weeks time when I have the system.
Cheers
Paul
Old 09-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke to H&S way back when I first bought my car and have always been impressed with what they produce. I would certainly be interested in their dual outlet system if you're looking for numbers for a group buy.

Paul, was the £705 inc VAT?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:46 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim Howley
I would certainly be interested in their dual outlet system
Unless I have misunderstood, the dual outlet is designed for use with equal length headers, with the headers feeding straight into the back box (or through a cat into the rear box). To use a dual outlet box attached to a conventional system is, at best, pointless and at worst, reduces power.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:37 PM
PWW
Instructor

Yes £705 includes the VAT.
I am not promoting a group buy this is there standard price anyone can have.

This is for a single outlet system which is what I personally want. You really wont gain anything from having a dual sytem and I dont need the additional costs of a left rear quarter bumper with cutout and paint.
Also the dual exit systems are louder which I dont want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best exhaust system