Sponsored by:

Odd thing happened, what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Mavel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Odd thing happened, what?

Yesterday, when I was out driving with my daughter, we went to a furniture outlet. When we got back to the car, I put the key into the ignition lock. I did not turn the key all the way to the right, I just turned the key into position 3, when the bulbs in the instruments is lit. At once when I did this , the starter motor tried to start the engine but missed, and it just whined loud without doing anything. I took the key out of the ignition lock, that did not do anything, the whining still sounded from the rear. I put the key back in and tried to start the car, still the same.

I ran into the shop, borrowed a wrench and disconnected the battery and put the cable back again. The sound from the rear disappeared, and I started the car, no problem. I started and stopped the car a few times after this, no problem. This has never happened to me before.

Has anyone experienced this, could someone tell me what to do, any ideas guys?

Mavel
Old 09-10-2006, 03:47 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it could be a problem with the starter sticking - but I wonder if it's a worn ignition switch. Mine used to leave all the warning lights on sometimes even though I was standing beside the car with the keys in my hand. If it can do that, then it could probably be engaging the starter (as if you had fullly turned the key) as well.

I'm guessing a bit though.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:49 PM
tafkai

get it fixed strait away !!!!!!
imagine if the vengine had started and you drove off ?
you wouldnt hear the starter still spinning , the first you'd know about it would be when it set on fire
Old 09-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starter solenoid.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Mavel
Advanced

Default Thanks

Thanks guys, for your ideas.
I will have the yearly service done in a couple of weeks, and I will talk to the guys in the Porsche shop. It could be as you say both/or the starter solenoid and the ignition lock, I will let them check both.I don´t want to see my pearl burn!

Mavel

Quick Reply: Odd thing happened, what?