Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Assembly repairable???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 12:10 PM
e911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Assembly repairable???

My left turn signal will not cancel - right does. I plan to pull the steering wheel and look at the plastic ring ( for canceling turn signals) but fear this is not the problem, because the right does cancel.

After researching the cost of a new assembly and finding no posts about repairs I am loosing hope.

Has anyone tried this ?

Earl
Old 09-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done that repair on other non porsche cars .
Old 09-08-2006, 12:26 PM
e911
Instructor

Care share the experience? thanks earl
Old 09-08-2006, 01:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

I had this problem on an earlier 911 and after purchasing the switch found it was an easy repair.

Don't know if that is the case but I have a similar problem where it will not lock in on left hand signal and will not disengage on right. I was planning on taking it appart this weekend and see.

Assuming I can get to it, I will post what I find out.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"Care share the experience?"
Send me a round trip ticket and sure .

Or are you asking how ?
If you are asking how , when you move the turn signal lever up or down a latch gets engaged , the latch has an arm that sticks out , the wheel has a ring with bumps on it , the bumps push the latch arm out of the latched position . If it latches left and right , but only cancels one way , the latches are ok , the bumps are ok and one of the arms for unlatching is ok . One unlatch arm has gone south .
Rebuild the bad arm and if you do it well every things cool .

The other way to fix it is to remove the other arm and just turn off the thing manually .
The arms can never break off again ....
Old 09-11-2006, 11:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Removed and disasembled mine this weekend. SImple fix although too many loose pieces to take pictures and make sense of.

My problem was that the turn signal arm is plastic and there is a wedge that is part of the arm that holds the spring at a specific tension and location. This plastic wedge broke off. I was able to jam a washer in its place and then I epoxied it so it will not move or fall out of place and create a short.

You must grind off or drill out the rivets to access the arm but it was easy enoough to pop rivet back together again once all the pieces were back in place and the cover repositioned which was the most difficult part. I feel this should be stronger and last longer than a replacement. I would consider this job to be a 4 out of 10 on the difficulty scale.

Just remember you need to discharge the air bag for a good half hour before removing.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:16 PM
e911
Instructor

Cobalt,

Thanks very much. I hope to take a look at this in the coming weeks - very much appreciate you posting you experience. Did you have to replace the plastics "ring" also?

I may pm or post, if Ok with you, some questions when I get deep into it.

Thanks
Earl
Old 09-11-2006, 12:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e911
Cobalt,

Thanks very much. I hope to take a look at this in the coming weeks - very much appreciate you posting you experience. Did you have to replace the plastics "ring" also?

I may pm or post, if Ok with you, some questions when I get deep into it.

Thanks
Earl

Wish I could have taken pictures but was crunched for time and did not want to loose any pieces. It is a little trick with all the springs and contacts but not that difficult.

I only had to compensate for the missing piece of plastic on the one side of the arm. Once you get inside you will understand what I am talking about.

PM away, although I will be at Pocono this coming weekend so don't expect a response until next week if it is over the weekend.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

e911
"Did you have to replace the plastics "ring" also?"
The ring is a big heavy duty part vs the little arm . Never seen or heard of one breaking .
The ring with the bumps on your car is fine , it bumps the one arm thats still ok on your car .

Last edited by Indycam; 09-11-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This thread might prove useful too.

Marc
Old 09-11-2006, 03:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
"Did you have to replace the plastics "ring" also?"
The ring is a big heavy duty part vs the little arm . Never seen or heard of one breaking .
The ring with the bumps on your car is fine , it bumps the one arm thats still ok on your car .
From what I gathered the weakest part of the unit is the turn signal arm. The small plastic pieces that hold the spring in place will eventually break. This spring is what pushes and guides the white plastic piece outwards to engage with the plastic ring you are all talking about. I doubt the ring would be a point of failure. To be honest other than the spring support I don't think there is much else that would fail.

Mark as usual you compliment this forum with another great write up. I wish I had read that before I did mine but it did not take me more than an hour to take everything apart. The hardest part was getting a bite on the 8mm bolt that locks the unit in place. I also have the computer controls which you do not which required me to remove the arm and then unbolt the switch before being able to remove it.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Cobalt
It sounds like we are in complete agreement .

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Assembly repairable???