964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on finding the right 964!

Old 08-25-2006, 02:27 PM
NineSixFour
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on finding the right 964!

Hi,

I am still relatively new around here and come from the BMW enthusiast crowd. Having owned both E30 and E36 M3's, I am ready to take the plunge and purchase a '92-'94 C2 or C4 within the next couple months.

That being said, does anyone have any experience with Victory Motorcars in Texas- their cars seem to be a consistently high standards. Are there any drawbacks to using a reputable dealer?

I am hoping to find a 964 in the low $20K range and would like to ensure it's as well sorted and reliable as my previous BMW's have been. Is this realistic upon finding a well cared for car?

Any thoughts about the best way to find a "excellent" example of the 964 will be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Is there a signifcant performance gap between the cabrio and C2? Does the cab have noticeable flex?

Best,
TJ
Old 08-25-2006, 02:33 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

do a search here and 993board. lots on the topic about Victory.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:47 PM
NineSixFour
6th Gear

Will do.

Also, if you received a response to a questions about a particular cars engine condition like this, would you walk away?

"I was also advised of small seepage between cylinders 2 & 3 and the case (low pressure) that has proven to be intermitent and in my opinion not worth fixing it"

Is this common- or am I reading this correctly that this could be a major problem?
Old 08-25-2006, 05:06 PM
jeff522
Racer

I devopled the same problem with mine. The seals between the cylinders and the block with time and heat can fail. The leak will worsen, and will need taken care of. It's not cheap. Its real importient to get a PPI by a 3erd party. It needs to be some one who really knows the 964, what to look for and look out for. This is a great place to find out who to get for a PPI anywhere you need to get one done.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:16 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

The engine sounds very questionable. These problems don't normally fix themselves, usualy get worse with time and hard driving. Cylinder seepage repairs could be costly.

I would highly recommend a C4. I went from a C2 to a C4 and will probably stay in a C4. I just like the handling and I don't think you lose anything in handling if you plan to track the car.

VicotryMotors brokers Porsches. he buys a lot from ebay, upcharges $3000 more or less when he flips them. He has been selling Porsches for 20 years so he knows good from bad. I got mine from him and had no issues working out the arrangements. I had the car shipped to me and I had to spend time going over the car tightening up things. So I think he only cleans and waxes them and does not spend much on servicing them. I may have lucked out but my car is great and would do well in a club concourse. issues with it, AC compressor went within 1000 miles, slight seepage from power steering, front air servo had to be fixed. Runs and sounds great and turns heads.

Join PCA and you get a monthly magazine called panorama. You will fins a lot of cars for sale. Chances are you will find one well maintained by a PCA or rennlist member. We are a bit **** retentive with these toys. Do a PPI and carfax and see it foryourself.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:47 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't you have to Already have a Porsche to join the PCA?

I've been on the PCA website and tried to look for classifieds and it said I need join. But when I try to join they want a P-car VIN #.

I am currently part of the BMW CCA (I had an E36 coupe) and I've recruited some of my friends that wanted to join and they were able to with out having a Beemer.

Am I wrong about the PCA? If so let me know,because I would like to join.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:15 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

You have to own a P-car to join PCA
Old 08-25-2006, 07:40 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Originally Posted by 38D
You have to own a P-car to join PCA
You can get a 6 month membership to PCA while you are looking for a Porsche. Call them and they will set you up!

Jim C.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard both good and bad about Victory-about 50/50. Here's a thread

One of many Victory threads

I've heard good things about these guys-

Exclusive

Of course all dealers are in the business to make money. Some care a bit more than others about the cars. Some could care less. That said, there are private sellers out there that are very willing to lie to sell their car too. The PPI is your friend, but not foolproof either. When buying, take your time. Make sure all the "stars align" befor buying. The right car will come along, and I believe it will come from a PCA/Rennlister/Pelican who is trading up or moving on. If you buy from the later two, you can search his threads and see what he's had to say about the car which can be VERY revealing.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Anyone buying a 964 is advised to buy Adrian Streather's book on that model: "Porsche 911: Enthusiast's Companion." Available at Amazon and probably also on eBay. Pricey, but worth every dollar. There are a couple of other books giving good advice on buying any used Porsche, including the 964. Money well spent, IMO. Also, you mentioned looking at '92-'94 C2s. i don't believe Porsche offered a 964 model for model year 1994; everything I've read says that while some 1993 models were sold into the 1994 model year, all 1994 model year p-cars were 993 models. I could be wrong.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

They did offer 964s in 94 here in the states, but not elsewhere from what I've gathered. I looked at a 94. Also, the vaunted RSA was available, as I understand it, for a short 94 run. They had back seats unlike the 93s.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I highly suggest doing a search on this board and both roadfly pelican. I am NOT saying you cant do fair business with these guys I would just think long and hard about it.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:49 PM
tafkai

Originally Posted by NineSixFour
Hi,

p.s. Is there a signifcant performance gap between the cabrio and C2? Does the cab have noticeable flex?

Best,
TJ
c2 cab weighs less than a c4 coupe , and obviously has less tranny loss .
but there is no significant gap between any of the 964 models

they do not have flex , but it really does depend what your plans for the car are .
Old 08-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

It's possible to do well at a dealer, both in price and and quality of the car. I did.
It really comes down to how the PO's treated it. At a dealer, you probably won't have service history detail, like receipts - but you might. You probably won't get the PO's name to talk to - but you might. But service stamps and a PPI will tell you much. You might learn a little about the dealer's rep by searching here - including Victory.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Barry the problem with one particular often questioned dealer is that he's been known to buy stamped service books off of eBay, and that same dealer uses several ebay names to buy things yet only one to sell. Now I dont know that he's putting them in cars he's selling but....? I offered to sell him a stack of service records I had from one of my old cars.

IMO there are some excellent dealers out there, you need to do your homework anytime you buy a used car. If the dealer sucks no one said you have to invite him to dinner, just be sure of a true independent PPI. Again, some dealers have been mentioned to have relationships with near by shops too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on finding the right 964!