Sponsored by:

Any Targa Owner's out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:30 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Any Targa Owner's out there?

I've been reading through the posts and it seems there are not too many Targa owners out there. A few of you have replied to my recent posts, So I know there are at least a handful.

I am looking for a coupe but this Targa happened to cross my path and I am smitten by it because it will give me an inexpensive entry in to the world of Porsche. If I sit around and wait for my Coupe...I may be waiting a long time.

If you are a Targa owner, I've got a few questions.

*Did you originally want a Targa?

*How do you like your Targa?

*Have you had a Coupe or Convertible before and do you regret getting the Targa?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Ceby
Old 08-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever since I was a kid, really - although if a screamin' deal on a coupe or cab had come along, I probably would have gone for it. Glad it went this way.

Love it. Top on or off, it's great.

*Have you had a Coupe or Convertible before and do you regret getting the Targa?

My first 911. But I've ridden in others and I'd still take the targa. Just a personal preference thing.

This has been a popular topic lately. See these threads:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=targa

and:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=targa

Always like this:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ght=show+targa
Old 08-21-2006, 09:29 PM
investlt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Targa

No, I was just looking for a the best 911 I could find (and that I could afford).

Love it.

No, but I don't think I would buy a convertible (personal preference). I like the Targa for the roll bar which adds a little more stiffness than a cab.

Good luck and don't forget to get a PPI! And post pictures once you buy!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:14 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

I've had 5 911's; 3 coupes and 2 Targa's and loved them all!! I really love taking off the Targa Top and cruising over to the ocean and flying down Hiway 1 to Laguna Seca...... My current car is a Targa and I've had it 5 years...longer than any of the others.......

-CKKrause
Old 08-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

I did it the other way round but here are my answers
Originally Posted by ducnine
I've been reading through the posts and it seems there are not too many Targa owners out there. A few of you have replied to my recent posts, So I know there are at least a handful.

I am looking for a coupe but this Targa happened to cross my path and I am smitten by it because it will give me an inexpensive entry in to the world of Porsche. If I sit around and wait for my Coupe...I may be waiting a long time.

If you are a Targa owner, I've got a few questions.

Yes I did. I wanted a cabriolet feel but the rigidity of a coupe so I got the go between.
Loved it. Had some leaking problems in the targa top which were dealt with by Porsche. Being a 90, also had the DMF problem. I put Eibach Springs, Bilstein shocks, RS sway bars and brakes with strut brace and short shifter for track use.
Got my cab after the targa and actually sold the targa to get the NSX. The cab is still with me so I love the cab the most. Targa without the mods is 2nd.

Ceby
Old 08-21-2006, 10:46 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I originally wanted a coupe... the lines thing. I drove two cabs, as they were the first I looked at. Then found the Targa I have now. Beautiful condition, still like the lines (with the top off), very tight and well maintained.

Absolutley LOVE it. I have had a couple of convertible cars (non p-cars) and the whole top thing is a PITA after a while, IMO. I like the ease of the targa removal, and the added wind protection of the rear window. My seals are fairly new, and I drove 380 miles in pouring rain without a drop in the car.

This is my first Porsche.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:44 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

No - would have taken either a coupe or a targa

Love it. Could do with a bit less wind noise at speed but that is only with the top on.

Not 911 but other marques. Don't reget the targa but wouldn't mind going to a coupe because of track issues.

Ceby
Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, first 911 I ever rode in and drove was a 1973.5 911T Targa in 1978 as a teenager. I knew I had to have one. The Targa is the quintessential 911 IMHO.

Love it. Dream come true. Flat six singing with wind in your hair, doesn't get better than that. It doesn't leak and only squeaks a tiny bit as long as you keep the rubber maintained and latch mechanisms tight although I rarely drive it with the top on.

First Porsche and don't regret it even a tiny bit.

Steve
Old 08-22-2006, 02:54 AM
mamsp
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my targa... would not trade it for any other model. I wanted a targa from the start and am very pleased with it... not nearly as many of them around.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:04 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my targa.I don't like the wind noise and the rattles but it doesn't leak. But I bought it to drive with the roof off not on, and the noise of the engine is so sweet with the roof off. I must get around to fixing these issues with the roof as it seems from this site its doable.

Not sure why I didn't get a cabriolet, soft roofs didn't grab me.

Targa roof remocval is a bit time consuming but I got used to it and its just part of the process now really.It only takes an extra minute. Only hasle is if you have to do an urgent fitting when it rains!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 AM
Rkick
Intermediate

Default Targas are great!

This maybe an old thread but I want to leave some comments for those who may wish to consider a Targa. I love my Targas. Someone says chassis is not as strong as coupe but I can't actually feel the difference especially when the top is off. Here are the answers for your questions.

Yes
I like the unique styling and open air motoring.
I had a convertible(MGB), then Targa/Convertible(Cappuccino) then coupe(356). I now ended up with 2 targas. Targa is cool!
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Love my targa too. I would just add for any prospective buyers that the
Top is very expensive to replace so make sure it's good , and buy a carbrella for
Convenience in good weather and to reduce folding wear on the original.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:25 AM
N24
Advanced

I've recently bought a targa C2 - currently away for an engine rebuild and rust-removal.
Only intend to drive it without the top on - but what's a a carbrella?
Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:49 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my Targa. You get something a litter stiffer than a cab but you can pull the roof when you feel like it. I see it as the best of both worlds.

*Did you originally want a Targa? Yes, when I picture a Porsche this is what comes to mind.
*How do you like your Targa? Yes, it has worked out well for me and the family.
*Have you had a Coupe or Convertible before and do you regret getting the Targa? Yes, convertible (Miata). I liked the Miata but wouldn't work for a family of 4.

Note: If any Targa owners would like to update the Targa thread in my signature I'd appreciate it.

Name:  IMG_0033 (1280x960).jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  882.4 KB
Old 12-30-2012, 12:54 PM
gazzy
Advanced

I went looking for a Targa as I like the open air thing and love the quirky looks,to me it's the quintissential Porsche. Yes,I've also had a coupe and have never regretted getting the Targa, I'm fortunate enough to have a 996 coupe as well so the Targa is a weekend toy and I wouldn't change it for anything. With regards to the carbrella item,does it fasten to the car so you can drive with it or is it just a stationary cover?

Quick Reply: Any Targa Owner's out there?