Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry - I meant I want the WHOLE wheel refurbished...

Old 08-21-2006, 12:35 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Whilst I shall try my hardest not to be pedantic, why didn't you ask what they were going to do for £400......??

Kevin.

Hides and runs for cover.....
Old 08-21-2006, 12:43 PM
IanUK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche probably did it to save money at the time. As wheels have got larger and more open Porsche seem to have switched to same finish inside and out (e.g. MY2002 Carrera 5 spokes).

I am firmly in the "I don't ever take the wheels off to clean the inside so they just look black anyway group".

Ian.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:19 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whilst I shall try my hardest not to be pedantic, why didn't you ask what they were going to do for £400......??
Because it didn't even occur to me that it wouldn't include the whole wheel.

I was told the main difference between the cheaper price and what I paid was that it was properly baked on etc. - rather than a man in a van type refurb. I naturally assumed - clearly wrongly - that they would do the whole wheel. But - I would have assumed that the inside of the wheel was the same as the outside to start with, which is clearly not the case (mine were so pitted it was impossible to tell).

I guess if I had known the wheels started out only half finished, then I might have expected that the refurb was only half the wheel - and I would have asked what I was getting for the money. But it wasn't even something that crossed my mind. When I asked for the clutch to be replaced, I didn't check they would fit the engine again afterwards - you just assume........
Old 08-21-2006, 02:00 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Dave

I do have sympathy for your plight. Maybe I have misundertood. I believe that the inside of the wheels should be matt finished but it should still be to a good standard. If all they have done is clean the inside and then painted, without any effort to smooth and fill etc, then I believe you have the right to be a bit agreived. I am about to have my mags restored and this is an area I have concern about.

When I do get my wheels done, they might be matt on the inside but I will be applying a few layers of Zaino to protect and make cleaning easier, as I will on the outside. I hadn't considered this until recently but most of us are happy to wax the bodywork, how many do the wheels? I am told that if you do this the wheels can be kept like new without too much hassle.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:10 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Without wishing to seem like I am running to Machtec's defence, I think with the exception of possibly painting the rear of the wheel they have done what you have asked and I am sure that if they knew you were not happy they would arrange to paint the inside of the wheel for you.

We do a lot of wheel refurbs and the only method that we will use for an aluminium Porsche wheel is:
1. Remove tyre
2. Surface bead blast to sound metal (glass bead, not sand or shot) *
3. Powder coat grey *
4. Hand prepare outer face and inside
5. Prime grey
6. Stopper any surface imperfections
7. Reprimer & dry flat
8. Basecoat silver
9. Laquer
10. Refit tyre, new valve & balance *
* subcontracted out

It all takes time to organise and transport, so £440 including tyre refitting is probably a bit less than we would have charged and I certainly don't think you have been had over.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:24 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that I know that wheels are generally only finished on the outside, I agree.

It's something that has genuinely surprised me - but in the world of refurbed wheels, I've clearly got what would normally be done. As I said - it's not something that even crossed my mind, I assumed the wheels were the same finish all over.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:14 PM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
John,

I used paint stripper and scotch pads, plus lots of elbow grease................

When I enquired with the mobile wonder wheels service@ 45/wheel, he said he paint what ever I wanted......inside and out with lacquer finishing.......

Kevin.

Kevin, I have a set of alloy wheels on my fiat that are peeling quite bad.

I think a sand blast is the only way to do it.

How did you get on with the painting and laquering? and what process did you use?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:23 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Painting was a two pack mixed locally, Upol was the name on the lacquer, cost about £35 all in all.....

My outsides were nigh on perfect, the insides required all the work, hence my answer to daves thread.
Preperation is the key, with the GT3 whels I did last they took 2 days each, and that was just the rims and inner face, not the external show face...

I would sand blast if there's lots of oxidising, if not as Colin has said a bead blast will suffice, and is kinder on the alluminium.....

kevin.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:57 AM
tafkai

i had my original cups done in bury before i sold them .
it was 20 or 25 per wheel .
break the lip on the outside , mask , blast , paint , bake , pump up .
when i went later in the day , i had to ask that they did the same again on the inside as this is what i had told the boss i wanted on the phone prior to getting the wheels dropped off.
they repeated the process for i think another 40 , as it was both our faults that the guy handling the job didnt get full instructions what i wanted .

then i dropped one unloading them out of my sisters jeep ,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sorry - I meant I want the WHOLE wheel refurbished...