Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Cage: Bad for a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:36 AM
puma1824
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roll Cage: Bad for a daily driver?

Is a roll cage bad to have in a daily driver? I know from a racing perspective it's good to have BUT that accounts for having a helmet on. Won't a roll cage act as a nice solid stationary object to crack your melon on in a street type accident? Just a thought/question before going down that route.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:50 AM
IanR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in the UK, a lot of insurers won't touch cars with a cage because of the higher incidence of head injuries when not wearing a helmet. I've been contemplating fitting a cage, but been put off by this.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

You are correct. A cage in a daily driver is a menace to your head. It is illegal in most jurisdictions for that reason.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a full cage, you should wear a full harness to ensure that, in the case of an accident, your head doesn't make contact with the cage.

The best solution is to get a half cage with an add on bit for track use
Old 08-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I will echo what others have said: Absolutely do not put a full cage in a car that will be driven on the street. Unless you want to wear a helmet while driving to work, you run a huge risk of getting a serious head injury even from a minor impact.

A roll bar (the rear hoop) is the compromise for a car that will see some street use. Does not offer the same chassis stiffening or protection as a full cage, but does support the b-pillar/roofline in case of a rollover, and also offers excellent anchor points for 5/6pt harness shoulder belts.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:26 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
If you have a full cage, you should wear a full harness to ensure that, in the case of an accident, your head doesn't make contact with the cage.

The best solution is to get a half cage with an add on bit for track use
I often think about this... since my daily driver is in pieces and I've been driving my race car to the office for the past month - it has a full safety-devices cage. Taking out the front section is a decent amount of work, so I don't do it.

Depending on how tall you are, in a side-impact collision even with no cage, your head will smash into the window or frame or both. Either way your melon is getting knocked - I'd take my padded roll cage over the window frame and/or window. I think wearing a full harness on the street is a bad idea with no head and neck restraint! Standard 3-point seat belts are meant to stretch - 5-point harnesses won't have much give - breaking my neck would worry me more. And in a side impact, I am not sure how short your neck is, but I'd still hit the window/cage even if I didn't budge in my seat!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
You are correct. A cage in a daily driver is a menace to your head. It is illegal in most jurisdictions for that reason.
You are corect for most markets. But in Deutschland and Netherlands, the full cage is allowed if you use the 6 point harness. Mine was setup with Sabelts and a Heigo cage.

Quick Reply: Roll Cage: Bad for a daily driver?