Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - How does a limited mileage insurance policy work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:07 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT - How does a limited mileage insurance policy work?

My car is on a limited mileage policy (which unfortunately expires at the start of September) and has been for several years. I've always kept inside the limit - even though I don't think I've ever been asked the mileage when I insure it.

I always assumed that if I needed to claim, they would check the service records / MOT certificates - but that doesn't make sense, because unless the service / MOT coincides exactly with the insurance start they can't possible know whether you have exceeded your limited mileage during the insurance period.

In addition - when I went to the lake district at the weekend, we covered about 1000 miles in total. That's a pretty big chunk of my annual 5K miles - but I wasn't driving all the time.

What exactly stops people taking out 3K mile limited mileage policies, racking up 20K miles a year and then saying : "yeah, but my mate was using it all the time" if they need to make a claim?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume it works a lot on trust and the type of individuals involved and if you have two cars the theory is that you can only drive one at once.

When i insured mine last September/October i enquired why the premium was exactly the same as in the previous 12 months and was told it was standard for these types of policies not to change too much. When i asked about reducing the mileage allowance by 2,000 i was told it would make around £15 difference.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:32 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave - I have had to certify mileage each year on cars where I had limited mileage (my E30 M3).

I don't think the 'my mate was driving' approach would work; I think they are covering the vehicle for xxx miles, not the driver. If it was stolen and found to be over the mileage, I don't think they'd pay.

Anyway, I'm now with A Manning, and my current policy was LESS than my previous limited mileage policy and I get unlimited mileage, it's not garaged and I get PCGB trackday cover too.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:36 AM
stuart1997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been curious about this also;both my 911`s have been on classic policies with limited milage and even after making a claim on my first policy i have never been asked tha cars current or any mileagefor that matter.
I guess that they know i drive a company car and have use of the wifes car im not going to be using it much.
Anyone know whats the "newest car" you can get classic cover on ?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:42 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by robmug
If it was stolen and found to be over the mileage, I don't think they'd pay.
Hmm, what if it was stolen and the theives drover over the mileage?!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:50 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to verify my mileage each year by phone, so nothing to gain here.

Rob as way of interest what do you pay? and what does it cover you for.

Kevin
Old 08-08-2006, 08:58 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Kevin

£617.40 last year; due for renewal in November. Unlimited mileage, excess of around £500 I think. PCGB trackday cover included, but excess rises to about £2k...still better than no insurance on track...only me to drive, but I've heard that actually increases the premium (depending on who the other driver is I guess!). Daily driver, not garaged.

Tel 01491 578 759

If you call, tell them you saw their ad in a back issue total911! I recommend them all the time & I can't get a regular ad off them!
Old 08-08-2006, 09:04 AM
IanR
Racer

I'm with A Manning as well, but with a limited mileage policy (5000 miles). Have to send off a form each year with the current mileage. This cost £415 this year (down by a £100 from last), and includes unlimited ATDO trackdays.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:38 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I don't think the 'my mate was driving' approach would work; I think they are covering the vehicle for xxx miles, not the driver. If it was stolen and found to be over the mileage, I don't think they'd pay.
I am not sure they could legally do that unless it was an any-driver policy. After all - if said mate crashed it, they wouldn't pay because it's not actually insured by them under those conditions. Plus - as mentioned - the thieves could have gone over the mileage themselves.

Perhaps the terms and conditions of the policy state it - although as I said, my insurers don't actually know the mileage of my car anyway.

Rob - I guess your insurance includes NCD since it's daily driver, whereas the limited mileage ones don't.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:53 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I guess it'd be like someone saying they don't smoke on a health insurance form, then getting some form of lung disease that primarily smokers get. It would simply be fraud.

I'd imagine if you had a policy of 3000 miles/year, and you went 3,400 they'd let it slide, but if they found you had gone 10,000 miles in a year and had a claim, I'd think they would have the right to refuse payment on repairs....for their benefit (the business) and other policy holders (who were paying into a pool of insured vehicles driven only 3,000 miles per year and wouldn't want rates to go up based on higher payouts for people driving their cars 10,000 miles a year)
Old 08-08-2006, 09:59 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I agree it's fraud if you genuinely went over and then lied (and I'm not planning to try it) - however, I still think that (legally) they could not refuse to pay.

After all - let's say I do lend it to my mate, don't go over the mileage policy and he crashes. They are not going to pay if I say : "yeah - but I'm within my mileage limit" are they?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Seight
Instructor

I believe it is actually illegal to have more than one policy on a car at any one time. Therefore I don't believe two people can have separate policies on the same car.
I used to have limited mileage insurance and like you dave was never asked to verify the mileage.
I am now with Direct Line and keep my car on the street in SE London and have unlimited mileage and pay £450. Fully comp, £450 excess, unlimited window claims etc....Pretty good I thought.

Cheers
Alex
Old 08-08-2006, 11:38 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I believe it is actually illegal to have more than one policy on a car at any one time. Therefore I don't believe two people can have separate policies on the same car.
It's not a case of two policies. Look at most policies and they cover you 3rd party if you drive a car that doesn't belong to you. Hence if someone else is driving your car, then they have 3rd party insurance (which technically means your car isn't insured at all but if an accident occurred would probably be paid for by the other party assuming knock for knock damages).

I don't actually go over my mileage allowance - but I have found it stops me using the car sometimes when I want to. Usually it's times when it would be bad for me to use it anyway (e.g. going 5 miles to work) but I may still get some quotes for unlimited mileage. Can always move the NCD off the daily driver - after all, how expensive can a ford focus really be to insure?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also got a limited mileage policy on a Classic cover. I've just changed company this year (from Carole Nash to A-Plan) and have never been asked to confirm mileage. I saw A-Plan advertised on Pistonheads and I was pleased with their offer. 6000 mpa (compared to 5K with CN), only a £250 XS (£500 with CN), included legal benefits and a premium of only £349. No track day cover although I didn't need it. Agreed value as with CN and just had to give them 6 photos + valuation from the OPC.

Regards

Dave
Old 08-09-2006, 05:34 AM
Christer
Race Car

Sounds like I may go with A Manning this year then! Thanks Rob....!

Quick Reply: OT - How does a limited mileage insurance policy work?