Sponsored by:

Alternator Fan, Pulleys & Shims

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:37 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alternator Fan, Pulleys & Shims

If anybody has any good pictures of the alternator fan & pulley assembly order I would appreciate it. There is alot of spacers and shims, and I'm not entirely sure where they all go. (Everything from the fan to the lock nut on the outer pulley)

In particular, I am not sure if any of those thin spacers are used between the pulley halves or not. It would seem to me if they are there should be a set number to give the pulleys a standard width.

(Proof that you can never take enough pictures when taking things apart!)

Kirk
Old 07-31-2006, 02:56 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have pics but the shims are used to adjust the belt tension. You move them inside the pulley halves to decrease tension and outside to decrease.

The tension on these belts is important because of the length of the alternator shaft. There is a lot of leverage on the end of that thing! If they are too tight you will have a premature failure of the rear alt bearing.
You can get a belt tension guage for about $12USD around here at most auto parts stores. I can look up the tension stats if you need them.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:03 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

fyi i just took mine apart and there was 1 shim between the pulley halfs and 3 outside the pulley. also, i thought the belt was too tight.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:05 PM
racergreg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark is correct. The shims are used to tension the belt.

Specifically, the order from inside out is:
1) Inside pulley half (already attached to the shaft)
2) one or more shims
3) outside pulley half
4) the rest of the shims (you're just storing them here)
5) the large thick washer (cupped side faces in)
6) nut

Start with half the shims inside the pulley and half out. Tighten it all up (lightly), turn the crank a few times to get everything settled in, and check the belt tension. If it's too loose, move shims from inside to outside. If it's too tight, do the reverse. Repeat until you have the correct tension, then torque to spec.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:07 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The shims are also different thickness so you can fine tune the adjustment. Usually when I replace a new belt I have all the shims inside the pully halves and as the belt stretches I move one out in front of the pully. Seems to work for me. I seem to remember reading something in Adrians book about how many shims and sizes for each half but could be mistaken.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:38 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Pic and Nums

Here is a pic with some part nums
Attached Images   
Old 07-31-2006, 05:43 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Aah I think I get it:
No spacers between pulley halves is the tightest setting, then you add spacers to make the pulley wider, and allow the belt to sit deeper in the groove and loosen the belt off.

So when you put a new belt in, put all but one of the spacers in to begin with, let it settle in, check your belt tension, and remove the spacers as required until the belt is tight. Repeat for belt #2.

Sound about right?

Kirk

Kirk
Old 07-31-2006, 05:44 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Correct.

One caveat, you MUST have the correct number and thickness of spaces. Apparently the bolt only tightens correctly with the exact spacer count and width. If wrong, the bolt can come loose. That is why the spaces get moved not re-moved.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:04 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

I was thinking of the spacers in terms of keeping the sprockets aligned to the bottom pulley. I forgot all about tensioning! Ooops!

Kirk
Old 07-31-2006, 06:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you will find the belt is to tight without putting all the spacers between the pulley halves when new. maybe its just mine but thats what I have found.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:16 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Thanx for the info guys, I'll be putting it to use this weekend when I am home from work.
I just have to paint the outer casing for the fan black, and then I will be piecing it all together for install.

Kirk
Old 07-31-2006, 06:19 PM
NACHTBLAU
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I think there should be 6 of both part #11 and part #15 for the bolt to tighten correctly...these seem to disappear over the years.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:59 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you already know this, but there's a very specific procedure in the shop manual for fitting new belts involving the use of a belt tension gadget. There are two thicknesses of shims to allow for adjustment in very fine increments. I understand many feel confident that they can adjust the belts with their "calibrated thumb" but that engine is going to be just so beautiful it'd be a shame to get it wrong!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:52 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrylH
...there's a very specific procedure in the shop manual for fitting new belts involving the use of a belt tension gadget...
Kirk - I have the belt tensioning gadget it you want to borrow it (but I can't get it to you by this weekend unless you buy me a plane ticket).

Marc
Old 08-01-2006, 01:32 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Thanx Marc,

I dont think I have to worry about tensioning any belts this weekend, (see rebuild thread) but I should probably buy one or a suitable substitute for myself. Where did you get yours?

Kirk

Quick Reply: Alternator Fan, Pulleys & Shims