Sponsored by:

How to change front oil cooler on 964 C4

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:51 AM
malrogers
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face How to change front oil cooler on 964 C4

My oil cooler has sprung a slight leek, does any won know how difficult it is to change ie do you have to drain the oil first.

Mal
Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Easy to take out... I think the most difficult task would be to loosen the hose connectors... when you replace it make sure you change the resistor while you are in there... also a good time to fix the smile.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

A few threads on the subject:

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The oil cooler is held on by two rubber feet that slide over two studs on the bottom. The top has a bracket from the side of the cooler end tank to the underside of the headlight bracket. Remove the bolt to the bracket, disconnect the two main oil lines, disconnect the wiring to the fan and to the temperature switch in the cooler itself and pull the cooler up and over the studs. If your car has a tiptronic transmission, the cooler is fitted on the inside of the oil cooler and you'll need to remove the lines as well.

As pointed out, removal of the front bumper cover is helpful.

Removing Oil Cooler

Access to Oil Cooler
Old 07-10-2006, 11:58 AM
malrogers
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the info, do you know if you have to drain the oil first from the engine.

Regards

Mal
Old 07-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I will let others chime in... but even if you drain the oil from the tank and the engine you will still have oil left in the cooler and lines... so be prepared to catch oil when you remove the lines...
Old 07-10-2006, 04:46 PM
iangray100
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

HI, Are you sure its the oil cooler that’s leaking and not the oil pipes as I had the same issue a few weeks ago and it was the pipes that were leaking. I then had to change both of the oil feeds right back to the thermostat at the right rear seal. Not cheap!!! As it’s all one pipe x2. You might also find if you move the pipes to replace the Radiator that the old pipes do not become internally damaged and start leaking through the rubber, as the oil is so hot it "cooks" the rubber from inside out.

Ian

Quick Reply: How to change front oil cooler on 964 C4