Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air intake temperatures with a cup/drilled airbox versus a stock airbox.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 02:22 AM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any where the motorsound cover fits into these results? Somewhere in the middle? Do I have to give up the cool sound for more power? Is the sizing of the holes in the motorsound cover right to allow the sound to release and yet not suck up too much hot air? Could they have been that clever???

Pete
Old 06-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I will say that on a dyno the cup airbox is cover is worth 3rwhp and 4ft/tq over the stock airbox at engine RPMs higher than 5500 regardless of air temp.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geoffrey,
As we are looking at a ratio of densities at different temperatures the pressure number cancels so we are back to the absolute temperature ratio .

P x V P x V
------ / ---------- = T2/T1
T1 T2

I did assume that the motor would consume the same volume of air at both temperatures.

Looks like the 3% (7-8 bhp ) loss for a 10 degree C temperature rise is true.

If the open Cup box gives more power with a higher intake temperature then a real opportunity for power increase exists with a better box design !
It would seem a much larger diameter snorkel and bigger volume lid would be the ultimate ?

Certainly food for thought !

All the best

Geoff
Old 06-04-2006, 06:52 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Has anyone created a "heat shield" under their cone filter/cup airbox to assist with this?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:01 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I did a test like this for my 964-powered 1972. It was interesting. I set up an aluminum heat shield (a five-sided box, basically) around my aftermarket intake so that it could only pull air through the grille, and then monitored temps inside the shielded area and also in the engine compartment itself.

Under some conditions, in steady-RPM street driving, I was able to see as much as a 25 degree difference between engine compartment temps and my new 'cold intake' temps, so I thought I was off to a good start.

But then I ran the same tests on the track, where the driving wasn't steady-RPM cruising, and the temperature difference immediately dissolved away. Driven aggressively, the engine compartment dropped down to within 0-3 degree of ambient temperatures. It's probably not too big a leap to say the efficiency of the main blower goes up dramatically at higher rpms, sucking the warm air out of the engine compartment faster than the engine can re-heat it.

So if we're considering temperature-control changes for the sake of horsepower, I'd submit that there's very little to gain, unless you've got a way to cool the air below ambient. The nice thing about the design of the air-cooled Porsche motor is that when you actually need the power, it solves the temperature problem itself.

My conclusion? If a solution to the air-intake-temp 'problem' adds weight or in any way restricts airflow to the motor, it is probably doing more harm than good. The stock box is a very good design. (I just wish we could have fit it into my early tub's engine compartment.)
Old 06-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack...That little test of yours makes a hell of a lot of sense....what I would call the application of good old fashioned common sense along with some innovative engineering to come up with something more than a best guess scenario. I appreciate the trouble and effort you went through to make your point and provide us with some informative results...even if they're not "NASCAR approved" or whatever scientific stamp is supposed to be affixed to the results....Great job....and it brings some credibility and merit to the German engineering too...!! I guess they knew what they were doing, and it also shows that sometimes the aftermarket products don't always enhance performance in spite of the claims........Chuck
Old 06-19-2006, 08:33 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Geoffrey touched on the important factor in this study and Jack confirmed the principle in practice. Let's make the fundamental assumption that we are only interested in performance on track, thus your 3.6 964 engine at 6000rpm will consume approximately 380cfm of air through the engine PLUS around 25cfm through the cooling fan, which equates to around 6.75cuft per second. Now in my estimation there is about 3cuft of air space in your engine bay, thus the air is being replenished at least twice per second, so any temperature increase of the air flowing into the engine is more likely to be caued by the air flowing across a greater surface area of airbox, so the argument would seem weigh in favour of runnign with the smallest air filter housing as possible ......

...so the answer (to the performance issue) is to simply measure the lap times with the different airboxes, it would seem.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Colin,
All good stuff. How about if we think about a car driven on the road , stopping at lights , crawling through towns etc.
During the summer the temperature rises are potentially going to be quite big and will need a few miles of fast driving to bring back down .

It is this, on the road, power loss that would be my concern and reason why a cone filter/ holes in air box would not appear on my list of desirable modifications.

Just my $0.02 ,

Geoff
Old 06-20-2006, 12:21 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Originally Posted by Red rooster
During the summer the temperature rises are potentially going to be quite big and will need a few miles of fast driving to bring back down.
What are you basing the "few miles" idea on?

It takes a half a second for the engine blower to get rid of all the warm air in the engine compartment. And even that is a worst-case scenario, presuming that the intake will breathe every cubic inch of the air that's under the hood before any fresh stuff makes it through the grille to the intake.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
What are you basing the "few miles" idea on?

It takes a half a second for the engine blower to get rid of all the warm air in the engine compartment. And even that is a worst-case scenario, presuming that the intake will breathe every cubic inch of the air that's under the hood before any fresh stuff makes it through the grille to the intake.
I am not sure if I completely agree with that, in theroy the engine fan should get rid of the hot air inside the engine compartment allow fresh cool air in. But during my intake temperature test the temperature did not drop even when the car was moving, thus producing a 10 degree difference.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:58 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Well, I'm trying to keep things in perspective. We're talking about a potential 1% difference in power, based on intake temps. Does that mean anything at all when you're cruising at 3000 rpms? I mean, if the engine is putting out about 140 hp at that speed, the 1.4 hp you're losing seems pretty easily recovered by pressing the accelerator down a hair more, taking the power back from the 50% loss you're achieving by not having the throttle pressed all the way down.

And that's assuming it's possible to perceive a power loss that small.

At full throttle, in my tests, there was no significant temperature difference. But there was probably some lag time between when there was a difference and when there wasn't. Maybe an engineer out there can explain to me why that is. So yes, I can see the appeal of something that would reduce that temperature difference more quickly for driving on the streets on a hot summer day.

But again, I think some perspective is in order. That difference is going to be dropping pretty quickly, and even if the 1% difference were present at full throttle (and I suspect it's a small fraction of that), then I'd be concerned about any cold air intake's effect on the engine's ability to pull air in (through drag losses along the reconfigured intake), or -- if the solution is to try to 'scoop' air in from outside, like water-cooled muscle cars -- the effect of the solution on the car's overall aerodynamics. In other words, if you fix a half a percent's heat-related power loss by making your engine less efficient or making the car harder to push through the air, then you're probably looking at a net loss, right?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jack,

Thank you for the time to put things in a different perspective. It makes sense to me now.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2006, 01:10 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Well, don't take me too seriously. I write fiction for a living.

It would be interesting to get some input on all of this from an engineer who actually deals with this kind of stuff. I mean, there's obviously a lag in temperature drop, and it's longer than the half second it takes to replace the engine compartment's heated air. I don't think that it's probably significant, from a horsepower point of view, but I still wish someone would explain to me why it works the way it does.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Jack,
Your concept of the engine fan clearing the engine bay of hot air isnt correct !
The fan will take air from the easiest place- though the spoiler grille . The air foward of the grill will slowly be removed and replaced by cooler air. That process will take some reasonable time with the exhaust / engine heat doing its best to keep temperatures up.
Thats why all the hoses/ flap unit etc get hot during a drive.

The power penalty for a 10 degree C temperature rise is 3 % . A 20 degreeC rise , which is easily acheived in summer traffic is 6% . That loss of performance you will feel !!

The solution is to drive at high speed in reverse !!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best

Geoff
Old 06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
951North
Pro

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
--snip--
But again, I think some perspective is in order. That difference is going to be dropping pretty quickly, and even if the 1% difference were present at full throttle (and I suspect it's a small fraction of that), then I'd be concerned about any cold air intake's effect on the engine's ability to pull air in (through drag losses along the reconfigured intake), or -- if the solution is to try to 'scoop' air in from outside, like water-cooled muscle cars -- the effect of the solution on the car's overall aerodynamics. In other words, if you fix a half a percent's heat-related power loss by making your engine less efficient or making the car harder to push through the air, then you're probably looking at a net loss, right?
NACA duct plumbed into the snorkle would seem to be the best answer.

Allthough these ducts weren't specifically targeted at cold air intake they were likely used for general under hood temperature reduction. It gets damn hot under these Turbo charged hoods...

And here's a quick photochop of my idea...

Last edited by 951North; 06-20-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Air intake temperatures with a cup/drilled airbox versus a stock airbox.