Sponsored by:

Tire balance problem ??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 12:56 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire balance problem ??????

My tires were balanced a couple of months ago and all has been well. Until yesterday. My wife and I took a long ride through Florida back roads with no problems. However, when we got back on the interstate I immediately noticed a strange undulating vibration at about 75 mph.

The vibration comes in waves. Car is smooth then vibrates...then smooth then vibrates. This cycle keeps repeating and is very annoying.

Does this sound like a wheel balance problem (perhaps I lost a weight on the country roads prior to hitting the interstate)?

Please advise. Thank you very much
Old 05-28-2006, 01:15 PM
C H
Instructor

Sometimes the guled on weights fall off. If the gear shifter is vibrating could be the torque tube as well.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:46 AM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

Thanks. No vibration of the shifter. What seems unusual to me is the "wave" of vibrations. In past experience out of balance wheels create a constant vibration. This vibration cycles. I do not experience any vibration until I reach 75 mph. At that point the cycle begins. Any thoughts on this.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:16 AM
Devils_son
Instructor

Originally Posted by marcandkimmie
Thanks. No vibration of the shifter. What seems unusual to me is the "wave" of vibrations. In past experience out of balance wheels create a constant vibration. This vibration cycles. I do not experience any vibration until I reach 75 mph. At that point the cycle begins. Any thoughts on this.
I am very interested, because I am puzzeled by the same "wave-vibrations". Have had my wheels balanced and it didn't help...

If you find anything, please let me know.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:49 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Most tire shops are not allowed to balance tires at speeds higher than 65mph. If you have low profile zero rated tires, you may want to ask your shop at what speed did they balance the tires. You could then ask them to balanc ethe tires at a higher speed if they will agree. However, if you do have zero rated directional low profile tires, you will notice some vibration with any change in road surface material, especialy with thread wear. For some reason I feel more wheel vibration, slight as it may be, when I drive on US roads than I do on Ontario roads. Canadian roads are built better. I also assume you have all 4 wheels balanced at the same time. Another possible surce is a lose tie rod joint; again road material and zero directional tires magnify the vibration caused by a worn tire rod joint.

Quick Reply: Tire balance problem ??????