Cat bypass install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Chad T
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cat bypass install question

Hi Guys,

I've been considering a cat and primary muffler bypass but I can't seem to find a cat bypass installation DIY anywhere. First question: Do I need to get an installation kit with bolts gaskets etc.? FVD lists this on there site but I wasn't sure if it's really necessary. Looks like it comes with new drip tray bolts too which would be nice to have but it's $149 for all and I will probably skip it if the original gaskets are re-usable. I'm debating though. Would be nice to have the extra bolts and such just in case. The primary bypass looks fairly easy. Is the cat bypass very difficult to install? Also how do I get this past the Mrs? I was thinking about telling her that the cat bypass will keep the engine cooler and prevent it from needing re-built. Any other good excuses come to mind?

Chad
Old 05-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my gasket was almot completely rusted away so a gasket is probably a good idea. Bolts may be ablt to be re used.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chad,
Worth taking a look at the O2 sensor to see if it badly rusted in the cat ! Might be worth putting a wrench on it to see if it can be moved.
Just to head off unexpected hassle!!
Good luck

Geoff
Old 05-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Chad T
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good tips guys. Thank you.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah forgot about the sensor mine was completely stuck I left it in there and got a new one for the bypass.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The installation is very easy. I have a primary muffler bypass too and I don't even have to take that off to drop the cat. As far as the gasket goes, some cat bypass pipes come with a new one. I have the Fabspeed unit and it came with everything necessary for installation except a new O2 sensor.

Quick Reply: Cat bypass install question