Sponsored by:

Headlight Fixing

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 07:21 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Fixing

Robs thread on fitting his HID's has got me thinking. The HID upgrade is always something I have considered worthwhile but I have a slight problem with my headlight fixings.

Not sure if anyone here has had to combat this before but the fixing at the bottom of the headlight bowl has lost its thread and as a result I always have difficulty refitting the headlights if I take them out.

Does anyone have any past experience of dealing with this short of having a new fixing piece welded in place?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:14 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem - and found that a new bolt fixed it. I'm not convinced it's a lasting solution - but it did make a difference and I could fit the headlight again properly.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:20 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim - funny you should say that. One of my headlights has been 'repaired' by the PO, and the other is loose, in that one of the ball-joints won't hold.

I'm contemplating making a few calls to get some new units. I'll certainly be getting new glass, as the xenon's really show the stone chips etc. New rubber seals too (one had split, but I superglued it as a temp fix).
Old 05-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,

I had exactly this problem with both headlights on my car. I tried all sorts of fixes but eventually bit the bullet and got JZM to braze in some replacements when it was in for a service. You have to replace the metal strap to which the nut is attached. It's invariably the strap which rusts away and the nut seems to go with it. Mine are back to normal now with the new bits. I don't think JZM really charged me anything to do it although it was in for a pretty big service at the time.

Regards

Dave

Quick Reply: Headlight Fixing