Sponsored by:

A.P.E chipped!! ?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:30 AM
catwalk
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A.P.E chipped!! ?????

So I've have my car a few month's now (89 C4) I was getting gas today and with the other stickers under the gas door I noticed it said use 92 octaine or higher A.P.E chipped ! . looks like a factory sticker , never noticed it and also have never heard of the company ? Anyone else, its not factory ? right ? whats A.P.E ? thanks 4 any input. yes some day I will post pic's. I soooo lazy !
Old 05-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Autothority Performance Engineering. No, not factory - Aftermarket chip maker/tuner. Have been around for many years making chips for Porsches and other cars. Reasonably good reputation. Sticker for the gas cap comes with their chip package.

http://www.autothority.com/products/index.html
Old 05-26-2006, 09:52 AM
MadHungarian
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, too, have an A.P.E. chip installed by the previous owner. I plan on keeping this car for a l-o-n-g time. Does anyone have any idea of the effect of chips in general, and the A.P.E. chip in particular, on the long-term durability of the car's engine/mechanicals/electricals?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

The increase in bhp and torque gained by an aftermarket chip is small (5-10 bhp, maybe a few more, which is just a few % increase). This will not put any significant additional stress on the engine mechanicals.

As long as you use the recommended fuel (octane), you will be safe from detonation/knocking. The chips also will increase the rev. limiter by a couple hundred rpm - so as long as you still use the redline on the gage for shift points, and dont drive around at 7200 rpm, it will not affect engine longevity.

Quick Reply: A.P.E chipped!! ?????