Sponsored by:

Stereo Wiring - Idiot's Guide Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 09:15 AM
chewg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Wiring - Idiot's Guide Please

I am embarking on my next DIY - replacing my Blaupunkt Reno 2 with a Nakamichi MB75.

I removed the Reno2 and got all the wirings out of the cage. However, I soon realised that it was not as simple as re-plugging the connectors to the MB75! I am confronted with a hosts of wires from the car that do not match the wires from the MB75.

I took 2 pictures - one showing the wires from the car and the other from the MB75. I have labelled them and was wondering if anyone can match them up for me! The only one I know matches is the antenna connector!

Thanks again for your help.
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Southampton76
Racer

your connector in the top pict is for the speakers, maybe power, acc on, and ground. The other plugs could be to the amp, not sure.

You can go to crutchfield.com and get a connector that will connect the wires from picture at the bottom to the connector at the top, if you follow.

the RCA cables are for aux and amp inputs. I also think your have pre-amp outputs for subs as well.

mark
Old 04-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Hi chewg,

The only wires from the factory harness that will have to plug into your new head unit are the black (ground), the red (ignition pwr), and yellow (battery lead)...and of course the antenna and speaker wires. Now that you know that, there should be a label on the top of your Nakamichi head unit that tells you which wires are which, and from there you can figure out what plugs into what. Separate the speaker wires from the power-oriented wires at first for simplicity's sake. Deal with the speaker wires last.

Also, I'm not sure how you're going upon doing this, but you should run down to an auto parts store and buy a box of 16-14 gauge T-taps, and a box of "fully insulated male disconnects" (the male ends that plug into the t-taps)--this will make for a much cleaner and easier installation...

If you have any other questions, let me know. I could ramble on but I'm not sure how much you already know.

Harry
Old 04-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allmost every setup takes its own wireing , head unit , amp , changer , speakers etc . When you put together a system , a+b+c+d , you need to wire them all together . Without knowing what you have as a system , its very hard to wire it .
Are you going to use the amp in the MB75 or the porsche factory amp or another amp ?
What speakers are you going to use ?
What other parts are going to be used in your system ?
Do not put power to the system unless you know more than 100% , that it is wired 100% right .
Watching smoke come out , sucks .

"single-DIN head unit featuring all the standard tuner/CD functions plus remote control and an amp block that can be mounted either on the back of the unit or in a remote location. The amp block is rated at 40 watts x 4 and includes provisions for preamp outputs."

"Performance
While the MB-75 is up to par in terms of its CD section (and is actually above par in its ability to handle up to six CDs), the only weak link in this system seems to be the MB75’s output section. While the pre-amp section is certainly capable of delivering flat response and reasonable signal-to-noise specs, it’s somewhat hindered by a maximum undistorted output level of .9 volts with an output impedance of nearly 1 kohm. (However, Nakamichi does offer the MB-100 which boasts both a higher output voltage and lower output impedance with an off-board preamp section for those discriminating listeners.)
The amp section of the MB75 didn’t quite make the advertised 40 watts x 4, but nobody’s head unit ever does. The actual output power of the MB75 is adequate for the vast majority of coaxial or component speaker systems. The benefit of Nakamichi’s design is that the amplifier section can be remotely mounted or completely removed if not needed."
Old 04-22-2006, 10:45 PM
chewg
Intermediate

Thanks for the guidance. This is what I have figured out.

System
=====
I do not have an amp (checked under the passenger seat & under hood).
2 frotn speakers & 2 rear speakers.
One head unit.

Car-side wiring (first picture)
==========
The speaker wires go direct to the front and rear speakers (these are the wires marked Wires 1 - 8 on the first picture - car side).
Antenna connector is obviously antenna connector.
Connector X is for the power supply, gound, ignition etc. (4 lines in this connector)

Nak-side wiring (2nd picture)
==========
Aux 1 & 2 again are obviously for external hardware connection (ipod etc).
Antenna connector for antenna.
Mysterious connector I guess is for connecting to an exernal amp - so since I do not have an external amp. I am going to ignore this.
That leaves the wires marked Wires A-F.

So, on the car-side I have speaker wires (Wire 1-8) and power et (4 lines).
Compared to the Nak-side, I have only 6 wires (Wires A-F). It is very obvious (to me at least) that I cannot fit 12 wires (car-side) to 6 wires (Nak-side).

What am I missing?

I checked out crutchfield.com and they have the connectors, but now all I need to figure out is which wires connector to which.....

Thanks again in advance.
Guan
Old 04-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Guan,

I suspect your new Nak has wires in standard colours (the old Blau. does not use standard colours).

For the Nak:
black = ground
yellow = battery (always on)
red = ignition (on with ignition)
blue/white = remote on (to turn on an amp)
pink = telephone interrupt
blue = power antenna

Aux 1 & 2 = 4 low-level RCA preamp outputs
Mysterious connector = CD changer controller? external amp connector?

There is probably another connector on the back of the Nak. that needs a plug to give you the output for the speakers - do you have a picture of the rear of the unit?

I have the wire colours for the Blau. written down so I can post them for you tomorrow.

Marc
Old 04-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Guam,

According to the review here, the MB75 uses a detachable amp. block with speakers outputs - do you have that amp block as the unit may not work without it?

Marc
Old 04-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

....and I just found this picture of hte MB75 showing the separate amp. block which is needed.

Marc
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
zipcar (06-04-2023)
Old 04-22-2006, 11:27 PM
botoo
Instructor

Hope I can help:
1. If the Mysterious connector is for the external amp, it is obsiously the one for the speakers, as that is how they get amplified. You may be able to figure out the wiring in this plug. Does it have 8 pins? I don't know about a Nak, however, that unit may need the external amp.
2. The usual colors used in the wiring for power, etc. are:
RED = +12Volt Ignition Key (on with ignition)
YELLOW = +12Volt Battery (always on)
BLACK = Ground
BLUE = Power Antenna
BLUE/WHITE = Remote Turn On (use to turn on an external amp or equalizer)
PINK = Audio Interupt (used to mute when using a phone, etc.)

This may or may not be how a Nak. is wired. You would have to verify that.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

The amp block is only needed if no other amp is used . The output from the head unit goes to an amp . What amp ? Nak amp ? Porsche amp ? Other amp ?
No amp = very quite sound , if any .

If you read my post above , post #4 , its clear I think .
"The benefit of Nakamichi’s design is that the amplifier section can be remotely mounted or completely removed if not needed"
Old 04-23-2006, 02:22 AM
chewg
Intermediate

Thanks for the whole bunch of info.

Marc/Rich,
Thanks for the Blau wiring guide. Now at least I know how to power the MB75 up and check that the unit works.

Marc/Indycam,
I do not have the amp for the MB75 unit, and by the sounds of things (no pun intended) I will not be able to get any sound if I do not have an external amp. So, I will either have to get the MB75 amp or an amp for under the passenger seat. But before I do that, I will try hooking up the unit without an amp. Am I right in assuming that by doing this the worst case scenario is I hear nothing? If so, I will do this first before I go buy an amp.

I also took a picture of the back of the Nak unit. And yes there is another socket that needs connecting to. By process of elimination, this socket (contains 10 pins) are for the speakers. But wait, I only have 4 speakers (2 fronts and 2 rears and that makes 8 wires). What are the extra 2 wires for? A sub-woofer?

Here's the pic.
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"Am I right in assuming that by doing this the worst case scenario is I hear nothing?"
I guess that you are thinking of doing this as a test to see if the head unit is working .
Is this the idea ?

What speakers are you going to use ? Not how many , what brand , what type ?
This will help with the amp questions .
Without knowing about the amp , wireing the thing is very hard .
Old 04-23-2006, 01:30 PM
botoo
Instructor

Indycam,
Lets assume he is going to use the original speaker setup, 2 front and 2 rear, as that is what it appears. He doesn't have the amp block that goes with the MB75 so if he purchases a cheap amp. to make some sound, what wires or plug config. from the MB75 will feed that amp.

Too bad the amp block and some instructions didn't come with the unit. Then problem solved.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Hiya Botoo
I'll help him as much as I can , wire up his system but first he has to tell me about his amp and speakers , untill then ....
Got to see the whole pic . Not what ifs .

Last edited by Indycam; 04-23-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:24 PM
botoo
Instructor

"""(But before I do that, I will try hooking up the unit without an amp. Am I right in assuming that by doing this the worst case scenario is I hear nothing? If so, I will do this first before I go buy an amp.)"""

I'm sure he DOESN'T HAVE an amp. He is asking which wires to hook up to his present speakers to see if any sound will result.

Quick Reply: Stereo Wiring - Idiot's Guide Please