Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:40 AM
eddychan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Warning when HOT

Hi!

Could some one please help here!

I have recently noticed that the oil warning light came on for a short wile when the engine is hot and the car was idling. It happened most likely during the traffic jam.

I have checked the oil sender seal whcih was fine, no leak, I have also check the sensor which drives the meter which was also fine.

What could be the problem???? I notice the oil pressure went down below 1 bar say 0.9 bar. Could that be teh reason???

Help Please!!!

Eddy
91 C-2 Tiptronic
Old 04-21-2006, 12:48 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I notice the oil pressure went down below 1 bar say 0.9 bar. Could that be teh reason???"
Yes.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:21 AM
eddychan
Racer

Oil pump not running right?

What should the pressure like when hot and in idle?

Please!

Eddy
Old 04-21-2006, 01:30 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have enough oil? Check your dip stick. Oil pressure should never get that low.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:01 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

The 911Porsche world article said that if that low it could be the piston oil squirters getting stuck open, IIRC.
They are supposed to open at 3.5 Bar, and then close when the pressure drops, if they don't then it can cause other problems at idle when the oil pressure is likely to be at its lowest.

kevin
Old 04-21-2006, 04:30 AM
eddychan
Racer

But why is that I do not h ave such problem until it is very hot?

The oil pressure was always at above 3.5 bar while cold and only drops when hot and in idle situation.

Eddy
Old 04-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

This happened to me....Sound like you may have a bad oil pressure sending unit. Under acceleration everything was fine, but when the car idled, the oil pressure would drop low, causing the light to come on. Probably just need to replace the sender unit. Just make sure you do have the correct amount of oil in your car (check when hot and on level ground). I was concerned like you, because you don't want to run your car with no oil pressure. I just went and got the problem fixed, and ever since the sender unit was replaced, no more issues.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:52 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It also could be because the oil gets to thin when hot. Maybe a higher viscosity is needed.
Hey Jerremy those shocks and springs we put on havent fallen off yet ?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Ok guys, not hijacking this thread, BUT......

Jim, we did SUCH A GREAT JOB doing our shocks that we could be considered OPC professionals.....

The car handles great.....Without your help it would never have been possible......

BTW, I just renewed my membership for 2 more years and I feel like I have received much, much more than $32 worth of knowledge and friendship from this place.........

Jim, how's your car holding up?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Hiya EddyChan
Your oil pump is probably fine .
How hot does you oil get ?
Does the oil temperature needle get past the middle ?
The oil gets thiner as it heats up , when the oil gets thiner , the oil moves more easly , so it has less resistance to moveing , so less oil pressure .

Does the oil thermostat seem to work , does the front fender over the oil cooler get very warm ?
Is your cars oil cooler clean ?
Does your oil cooler fan work ?
What oil , brand and grade , do you have in the motor ?

How is Hong Kong ?
Some day I have to go to Hong Kong .
Old 04-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Miguel
Pro

Hong Kong's fine. last time i checked, anyway...
phantastic place...don't know where and how they drive their porsches, though....no space..
Old 04-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Eddy,

I think Indycam may have hit the spot - how hot is hot?? I had this occur on my car last summer when I was stuck in a traffic jam for an hour (on the Brands Hatch circuit would you believe?) and the oil temperature was way over half way up the scale. I have never seen the temperature that high before - or since - and the oil light has never come on at tickover since.

Dave
Old 04-23-2006, 11:48 PM
eddychan
Racer

Very very hot!

Only happened when stuck in the traffic for more than 20 minutes and the outside is about 30 degree C!

The oil is fine and I just had them changed, I am using 0W30 Liqui Moly so may be this is also a contribution towards my problem. The C2 runs very well and no leak! Always starts first turn and run prefectly, right to 5 bars and only drop after fully warm and the temp guage over 9 oclock, then during idling, it went down to 1 bar and when the temp guage went up to 10 oclock and the occasion in the stop/start slow ( snail) moving traffic in Hong Kong, the warming light came on!

By the way! Hong Kong is fine except that the gas price went up the roof!

Thanks Guys! I shall get my opil sender checked and may be getting a think oil as well!

Cheers!

Eddy
Old 04-24-2006, 09:39 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

0W30- wow- I usually drive my car between 60-90 degrees (F), and so I use 20W-50. 0w30 must be like water when it heats up! If your temp is getting up that high, I would think you should be using a thicker oil- but I would defer to the chart in the owner's manual since I don't remember the recommended grades of oil relative to outside temps offhand...since my car is a spring/summer car, I've always used the thick stuff with no problems...
Old 04-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Does the oil thermostat seem to work , does the front fender over the oil cooler get very warm ?
Is your cars oil cooler clean ? Has it got a plastic bag stuck to the front of it ? Or some other trash stuck to it ?
Does your oil cooler fan work ?

Quick Reply: Oil Warning when HOT