Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Warning when HOT

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Jasko
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it go away once you bring the engine up to speed/ load? Mine had a problem in traffic at idle and hot with Mobil1 0W30. Now with Valvoline Racing 20W50 - no problems.

Dave
Old 04-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think opinions on oil are more varied than I ever thought from some of the conversations in other threads.

Its just my opinion, but I would always lean towards the thick side with these cars. I ran 5w40 M1 and I considered it too thin. 15w-50 M1 Seemed fine. I'm now running Castrol 10w60 and it seems fine as well.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:20 PM
eddychan
Racer

yes ! thinker oil never gave me such problem.

I only try this new oil and I think I better go back to 15W50.

The temp gauge and the cooling is fine, it never got to the danger level and it gets very hot in Hong Kong especially in the traffic jam.

Cheers!

Eddy
Old 04-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

The oil cooler has two fan speeds. Sounds to me like your hi-speed fan isn't working. In Adrian Streather's book, there is a description of how to test for both fan speeds. I'd suggest doing that at the very least, and going with a heavier weight oil. FWIW, and not to start another discussion about which weight oil to use, Porsche now recommends 0w-40 Mobil 1 for all 911s.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:49 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I go by the original book- straight (non-synthetic) Penzoil 20W-50 that gets changed every year (I put about 3K miles on a year). Never had a problem with this oil over 3 911s and 18 years, so I'll keep using it. Not worth the expense of synthetic plus potential oil leakage (of which I have none), but of course to each his own... plus many of you drive much more than I do or have higher mileage which may change your opinions of what oil to use.

-Andrew
Old 04-26-2006, 06:27 PM
seaeagle
Advanced

FWIW, Hong Kong is hot and humid and traffic ridden? And the temp is at 10 O'Clock.

Sounds like soemthing needing a seroius look at.In OZ I use Mobil Super HP 20W 50 (as suggested by the mechanic) and 9 O'Clock is the max temp I have ever seen it even in heavy traffic. Our temps average 28-30C in summer.

I would be concerned if it approached 10 O'Clock and the light came on and pressure was low etc.As the thread has suggested change the oil, check the obvoius - ie oil level measures. If there is oil but its still hot, further investigation needed. And I would not drive it until it was rectified IMHO.What's a rebuild cost these days?That's your nightmare scenario which I hope is a long shot and it turns out its just a failed elctronic component etc. But you never know right?

Sea Eagle
Old 04-26-2006, 11:38 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eddychan
But why is that I do not have such problem until it is very hot?

The oil pressure was always at above 3.5 bar while cold and only drops when hot and in idle situation. ...
Found this in the owner's manual: "... When the oil is hot, the red oil pressure warning light may light briefly at idle without endangering the engine. However, if the oil pressure drops suddenly while driving or if the red warning light comes on, the engine must be turned off immediately. If there is enough oil in the engine oil tank, have the malfunction corrected at the nearest authorized PORSCHE dealer."

Sounds like maybe you're OK? Although I think I'd be inclined to up the viscosity for 30+ C.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:48 PM
eddychan
Racer

Thanks !

I think Richard could be right, all links together and caused my problem.

I shall check the oil cooling fan ( resistor ) and give it a good clean up.

Well, the summer is arriving much sooner here in Hong Kong and these two mornings on my way to work, therer were a couple of accidents and it rained heavily from time to time. I got stuck from Shatin to Kowloon for almost an hour again this morning ( through the Lion Rock Tunnel!).

A mixture of using very thin oil, stuck in the traffic and may be the fast speed oil cooling fan not coming on may have caused my OIL Warning ON.

Nevertheless, it came on very briefly and as soon as I put into gear, the rpm went up and the warning also went away. I have booked in the Carrera Auto Sport Garage in Shatin and shall go there in 30 minutes. Hope every thing is fine! I love my C2

Cheers!

Eddy
Old 04-27-2006, 12:07 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

My brother lived in Shatin for several years so I can picture your drive clearly. Best of luck.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:22 PM
eddychan
Racer

Hi!

Changed the two stage resistor and the temp always stays not more than 9 o'clock.

NO more oil warning and the pressure always kept above 1 bar even under hugh traffic like this morning!

Thanks to you all, you have been real help!

Cheers!

Eddy
Old 04-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beers on Eddy tonight ?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:44 PM
eddychan
Racer

If you guys come to Hong Kong, I shall take you to the famous Lan Kwi Fong. However, I will not be able to take you to Wan Chai which is absolutely prohibited by my wife.....

Cheers!

Eddy
Old 04-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Wan Chai ?
Never heard of it but I need to go there . What is it ?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wan_Chai
Old 04-28-2006, 04:21 AM
eddychan
Racer

You are looking for the wrong site!

Wan Chai lit up at night time and all the pretty girls will gather and give you a very good time with a cost.....

I am sorry but I am not allowed to go there any more so next time if you come to Hong Kong, I shall give you a ride on my 964 and take you to the country side and have a drink. There are quite a large number of Porsches in Hong KOng and I seem to recall that Hong Kong has a world record of highest concentration of Porsche than anywhere else in the world.

Cheers!

Eddy

Quick Reply: Oil Warning when HOT