Sponsored by:

I'm sooo tempted...while the engine is out

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 07:58 AM
puma1824
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seaeagle
Not so long ago, about a week, a good natured Kiwi ridiculoulsy asked should he trade the 3.6 turbo. Roundly criticised he was, justifiably so.

Now the perrenial question, to supercharge or not. To me, buy a turbo set to go.

But its your money so if the SC is the choice I say have a go. But can you please do it well and let us know how it went. Because I am confused by all the talk some say yeah, some say no. All I know is I can spend the money on a newer model and/or with a turbo etc. and get similar results. But supercharging has been around a long long time. So it must have something going for it.

But I do like the oft quoted "crackling" roar of an air cooled flat 6.

Is there a reason why air cooled went out of fashion? Was it noise or was it technology, ie it just had to be water cooled to keep up the the competition?

No one has really answered that one for me in simple terms that a simpleton like me can understand.

Sea Eagle
For reason like Smokin's , I know my car is the major reason why I'd keep mine a supercharge opposed to selling and getting a turbo. I have spent MANY hours getting my car restored/refurbished. The interior has been completely redone, engine being rebuilt ask I speak/type, suspension, clutch, and more replaced and/or upgraded. I'd hate to start over with a turbo if I went that route, BUT I could be lucky and not have to do all of the above.

Anyways if I do it, I will definitely let everyone know AND a keep a Rennlist running report
Old 03-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by seaeagle
Not so long ago, about a week, a good natured Kiwi ridiculoulsy asked should he trade the 3.6 turbo. Roundly criticised he was, justifiably so.....
Technically, I don't think he was criticised - just his sanity was questioned.

But that was a different issue - he was not going from a 965 to a supercharged 964, but rather to some sort of plain econobox his wife could drive, IIRC.

I am of the same mind as Rick/Smokin - a supercharger is very high on my list of needs (okay - my wife calls them "wants") but I had wisely been councelled that you are better off to get brakes, suspension, etc. in order first.

Puma - if you do go the SC route, do keep us in the loop.

Marc
Old 03-16-2006, 01:22 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard Brakes are awesome

I had wisely been councelled that you are better off to get brakes
If one is going to track their car, I can see perhaps doing something with the brakes. However for street driving and occasional DE events the stock brakes will stop the car in the same distance as any upgrade. The upgraded brakes only buy fade resistence, not additional stopping power. If you can lock up your tires today, you really can't improve the braking distance.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Hiya Seaeagle
"Is there a reason why air cooled went out of fashion? Was it noise or was it technology, ie it just had to be water cooled to keep up the the competition?"
Pollution control , the air cooled motor is not as well controled temp wise as the water cooled , the water cooled can be tuned / adjusted to get rid of more byproducts . The rules were set for what the water cooled motor could do and the air cooled motor could not meet the rules .
VW brazil just stopped the aircooled motor , put a water cooled motor in the new baywindow van that they still make . Its funny to see a baywindow with a big radiator grill .
Old 03-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by C4Russ
The upgraded brakes only buy fade resistence, not additional stopping power. If you can lock up your tires today, you really can't improve the braking distance.
Yes, quite true.

But stock power on a 964 is also awesome so why upgrade to forced induction on a street car?

There is no point in having more power unless you have opportunity to use it (unless you are just after the "gee-whiz" factor) and that can only be done safely on the track - hence the need for better brakes with reduced fade.

In my case, I fully admit that I am on the slippery slope to making this a track car. Sorry, but with all the posts about the mods I have done, I just assumed that was known.

Marc
Old 03-16-2006, 02:31 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I am on the slippery slope
The first step to recovery is admitting that something is wrong. One day we'll all sit together in a circle and we'll listen to eachother's stories.
Hello everybody, my name is Marc, I've been modding for over a year now but it has been 48 hours since I last bought something for my 964. My worst moments are when I see all those nice pictures on Rennlist. I cannot look at a mod without wanting it soooo bad.....
Old 03-16-2006, 02:37 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You guys have to stop . . . I am perched on the edge looking down that slope and have a terrible, powerful, urge to jump!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kris
The first step to recovery is admitting that something is wrong. One day we'll all sit together in a circle and we'll listen to eachother's stories.
Hello everybody, my name is Marc, I've been modding for over a year now but it has been 48 hours since I last bought something for my 964. My worst moments are when I see all those nice pictures on Rennlist. I cannot look at a mod without wanting it soooo bad.....

Marc
Old 03-16-2006, 08:52 PM
puma1824
Pro

Originally Posted by puma1824
hmm...I really need to check on that. Does that mean people with blower bypass pipes loose heat too?
So to follow up on the heat question. I called TPC today and they had explained that heat is not lost, just reduced like the bypass pipe or like older 911 which relied on the alternator fan to push heat. BUT they do have the option of relocating the coolant container for the intercooler to the front of the car and actually modifying the heater blower to fit/work in the factory location, thus retaining the heater blower in the car. They are supposed to email me pictures of an installation with the heater blower in place. I'll post as soon as I get it.

FYI: TPC also told me they have a new piggy back computer that they will be releasing shortly to increase the HP and also allowing finer tuning of the air/fuel timing and mixture under boost.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:36 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, I've driven a friend's RSA with a TPC supercharger. My friend claims it makes around 400hp at the crank, though I doubt it. Nonetheless, I was mightily impressed with how effortless and seamless his car accelerates. It has a bit of an idle problem, but once underway it's so linear, preserving the car's basic characteristics. As nice it is, I'm not sure it's worth it. For one thing, it just isn't as thrilling as a 3.6 or 993 turbo. It doesn't slam you back in the seat in every gear between turns. I've tossed the SC idea around myself, but due to reliability concerns and the Porsche purity factor I think I'd vote for n/a enhancements at this point. The 964 has about the right amount of usable horsepower anyway IMO.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:21 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

air cooling could not meet modern horsepower requirements and stay within the required emissions standards.

Kirk
Old 03-16-2006, 11:33 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Puma,

Thats interesting that the heat isnt lost. That puts the supercharger back on my 'want' list.
(I cant live without interior heat in Canada) If you get any pics or more info be sure to post em.

Kirk

Kirk
Old 03-17-2006, 09:50 PM
puma1824
Pro

Originally Posted by KirkF
Puma,

Thats interesting that the heat isnt lost. That puts the supercharger back on my 'want' list.
(I cant live without interior heat in Canada) If you get any pics or more info be sure to post em.

Kirk
As promised here's the pic TPC sent me of the heater installed:

Old 03-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Puma... Have you decided yet? Just curious... One of us needs to do this.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:19 PM
puma1824
Pro

Originally Posted by Smokin
Puma... Have you decided yet? Just curious... One of us needs to do this.
Not yet. Once I do decide I'll of course post

Quick Reply: I'm sooo tempted...while the engine is out