Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"where did you get this from?"
http://www.concertgebouworkest.nl/
Old 03-04-2006, 03:06 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Marc A,

Your engine bay is really really nice man. Kudos.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:28 AM
puma1824
Pro

Originally Posted by puma1824
I noticed this Poll while browsing the rest of the TPC site asking what Porsche you drive...let's represent our 964 pride LINK Look on the right hand side of the site. Right now it looks like the Boxter folks are in the lead.
Hate quoting myself, as well as going a little OT, but I just took a look at the poll I had mentioned and not sue of the 924/944 guys saw this post but their number rose dramatically. Come on let show our 964 pride and numbers - spread the word

EDIT: Found their post LINK

Here's the link again: LINK and look on the right hand side.

Started new thread based on the poll here: LINK

Oh yeah still waiting for any Supercharger equiped 964 owners to speak up with their recent experiences.

Last edited by puma1824; 03-05-2006 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:13 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron... You may want to poke around over in the turbo forum... There may be a few SCed guys over there. (Of course the turbo guys would probably want to skin you and eat you.) Just a thought...

I voted in the poll BTW... But with their cars costing about 1/4 of what ours do... I think they will probably stay in the lead. I see a lot of them on the road.

A Porsche... With the engine in the front... What will they think of next...
Old 03-05-2006, 04:18 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Originally Posted by kgorman
Marc A,

Your engine bay is really really nice man. Kudos.
Hey Gorman…Thanks for the compliments, I’m flattered to hear those couple of words from you and couple of the other Real Porschists, only because you guys know better than everyone else what a Porsche translates to... "A REAL AIR-COOLED PORSCHE 911"...

Thanks to Kris, he provided a link to the same topic/discussion of three months ago, when for me the first time, I tackled the same quandary... To be Super-Charged, or not to be... That was/is/and will be the question... Worth reading, at least for me it was...

Thanks to Rick, also a Porsche 911 enthusiast and at least someone that writes and voices his opinion when confronted with a provocative thread such as this one or that of three months ago... A few posts-up-the-thread he wrote to me and said...

"When you left this planet... I mean, when you left the USA, we were experiencing the birth of the muscle car craze. It took most of us 20 years or more to realize what gems Detroit was producing. Most pristine, low mileage muscle cars will fetch far more than our Porsches ever will, modified or not modified... If you have the right example of course. A lot of Americans are into power... Power of any sort. Even the looks of power. (ala ricer community.) With that in mind, to me, it's plain to see why anyone might want to inject a little more horsepower into their car, Porsche or not Porsche".

Rick please try to understand, in the mid sixties up until the mid seventies I was living on this planet... I witnessed the birth of the "First Pony Car"... The Ford Mustang and then, soon there after came the Camero the Firebird, the Barracuda and others. Through the years Detroit offered every variation on every theme for every pocket book. Not only did I see but I drove them. Those were the Best years for Pony Cars and Detroit... By the way... Were you even alive then...

"Sunday at National Speedway!!.." If I wasn’t at "Watkin’s Glen" watching Formula One or at the various Long Island tracks watching the Can-Am Series, or Sports car racing, I was on Long Island watching Sunday’s Drag Racing with Pony cars, Funny Cars, Modified this or that... It was great... I’d drive back into the City, have a few street lights to street lights drag races myself with the Ponies, but I always lost... Manhattan is the "Home of Street Racing", that’s all you can do there... At the right time of night you could catch the red/green light sequence for fifty blocks... IT WAS FUN BEING A CRAZY YOUNG KID WITH MY WHOLE LIFE AHEAD OF ME... I always lost because I was driving a European car of some description, which was more at home at a "Watkin’s Glen" than a "Sunday at National Speedway"... Monday through Saturday I was a Sales Representative for the various European cars including the Porsche... I don’t know Internet but I do understand cars... I respect them for what they were built for, driving... And each and every "Authentic Sports car has that quality"... "Many others cars/drivers pretend"...

Which brings us to the following and it’s very simple..." What kind of driver/owner are you"... How do you see your Porsche... Are you the "Watkin’s Glen Type" or are you the "Sunday at National Speedway Type"...

I’ve written enough on how I define the word Porsche 911(air-cooled only) and have been criticized many a time for saying so... Well someone has to speak out!!.. Besides I'm a member, and I love to talk/drive Porsche!!

For the record what kind of,..." PORSCHIST ARE YOU"...

Number ONE...PORSCHIST 911/WATKIN’S GLEN TYPE...OR,..

Number TWO..PORSCHIST 911/ SUNDAY AT NATIONAL SPEEDWAY TYPE...

A copy a testimonial for Porschist 911/ "Sunday at National Speedway Type"...

"As I rolled innocently and unsuspecting down Rainier Ave between Renton and Seattle, I noticed a yellow and black race-type bike at my side riding a wheelie. I notice the rider's helmet and clothing matched his bike. I basically ignored him as he came down from his wheelie only to notice that he lifted back up as if to make absolutely sure I understood that HE was calling me out... He came down from his wheelie and sped off...well my predatory instinct overtook my common sense and I felt a primal urge to peruse, catch and ceremoniously blow the doors off Mr. Wheelie-man!!
I don't think he knew what hit em' I pulled by him pretty damn fast. I carefully tempted more speed out of my car, enjoying to spooling sounds of my turbos, the roar of the motor and passing by Mr. Wheelie-man with ease. Resisting the urge to floor it as I knew that could result in possible tire spin, loss of speed or even worse, loss of control!!
Needless to say he didn't appreciate me blowing by him. I slowed down in earnest as we came upon traffic as I remembered that certain sections of Rainier are speed traps not to mention to avoid scaring the law-abiding citizens... He obviously did know or care about this and went by me speeding and swerving (damn near rear ending a car in his lane) he continued down a seemingly vacant portion of Rainier Ave. I say "seemingly vacant" because out of nowhere appeared a motor-cycle-cop with lights flashing and siren blaring. Well, Mr. Wheelie-man looked over his shoulder, saw the cop, crouched lower, flicked his wrist and
foot to grab another gear so quickly it sounded like his bike was an automatic and continued flying down the street!!!
I don't know what happened to him after that... He was a blur as I smiled and turned off Rainier to go home. My guess is that he either killed himself or got away. He didn't seem like the type to voluntarily admit defeat or accept being captured without a fight".

"Ron and Rick and perhaps a few others, if you would like to Super-Charge, or Turbo-Charge orperform any other Un-Porsche modifications at the same time... Please do"... I only offer you my point of view to a question that was asked... Of course it’s your Porsche, and to each his own, and it’s better that why...But it's sad to say,.. "If it’s so good I may just move back to New York with my Porsche 911/964 and Street race with you"....

I'd rather you come to Europe and drive with me here, I know you would love it... "Here in Europe, it's Porsche Country made for you and your 911/964!!"..

VROOOM, VROOOM...
(Oh!!The engine just exploded)...

To be taken with a grain of salt. It’s raining, early and I felt like shooting the stuff with my 964 Buddies before the day begins here... Love to all... An enthusiast... And really nothing more than that... Peace...

From here,
Marc...

PS... "A REAL AIR-COOLED PORSCHE 911"...

Last edited by MARC A. 964 C4; 03-05-2006 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Colour...
Old 03-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin
A Porsche... With the engine in the front... What will they think of next...
The Panamera!!

Just realized why the internet has been slow lately.. bandwidth usage by novels being posted...
Old 03-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MARC A. 964 C4

Rick please try to understand, in the mid sixties up until the mid seventies I was living on this planet...
As I suspected...

By the way... Were you even alive then...
Uh... Yes... I was alive then... I have owned and/or rebuilt many cars including muscle cars. I've rebuilt a few imports too.

Manhattan is the "Home of Street Racing", that’s all you can do there...
I believe Southern California is generally recognized as the Home of Street Racing. Of course all communites had their go at it too... Especially the rural ones.

Nothing else to do there... In Manhattan?

I don’t know Internet but I do understand cars... I respect them for what they were built for, driving... And each and every "Authentic Sports car has that quality"... "Many others cars/drivers pretend"...
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here...

I’ve written enough on how I define the word Porsche 911
I agree...
Old 03-06-2006, 01:06 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

I agree...

Sleep well...

From here,
Marc...
Old 03-15-2006, 11:33 PM
puma1824
Pro

Found another install pic sooooo tempting!

Old 03-16-2006, 12:27 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the look of the supercharger, but don't you give up heat in the car?

I wouldn't worry about lowering the value of the vehicle. If you want to sell it, unbolt the SC and ebay it seperately. I would worry about running it without an intercooler.

Kirk
Old 03-16-2006, 12:34 AM
puma1824
Pro

Originally Posted by KirkF
I like the look of the supercharger, but don't you give up heat in the car?
hmm...I really need to check on that. Does that mean people with blower bypass pipes loose heat too?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:05 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think you do with the 9M conversion.

Kevin
Old 03-16-2006, 05:33 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

IIRC you get half heat with the 9M conversion
Old 03-16-2006, 06:16 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Half heat, is that only luke warm then........
Old 03-16-2006, 07:01 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not so long ago, about a week, a good natured Kiwi ridiculoulsy asked should he trade the 3.6 turbo. Roundly criticised he was, justifiably so.

Now the perrenial question, to supercharge or not. To me, buy a turbo set to go.

But its your money so if the SC is the choice I say have a go. But can you please do it well and let us know how it went. Because I am confused by all the talk some say yeah, some say no. All I know is I can spend the money on a newer model and/or with a turbo etc. and get similar results. But supercharging has been around a long long time. So it must have something going for it.

But I do like the oft quoted "crackling" roar of an air cooled flat 6.

Is there a reason why air cooled went out of fashion? Was it noise or was it technology, ie it just had to be water cooled to keep up the the competition?

No one has really answered that one for me in simple terms that a simpleton like me can understand.

Sea Eagle

Quick Reply: I'm sooo tempted...while the engine is out