Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 03:32 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 91 Cabriolet Top opening problems

Did a search, but couldn't find anything, nor do I have Adrian's book with me in FL. Here's my problem. I opened wife's 91 Cab Top. It cleared the top of the windshield about 6 inches and then everything stopped. No noise from the motors, no humming clicking or anything else. I used the emergency procedure to try and close it, but the latch wouldn't activate either, so I had to manually open it all the way and put the boot on. Everything electrical works ok, but the switch for the top is dead.
Could it be the little toggle switch? Could it be a relay or something? or could it be the motor for the top. Is there any procedure to diagnose where the problem might be? The emergency procedure is not difficult at all, except I can't latch it in the up position. Any help would be greatly appreited?

Old 02-28-2006, 07:58 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Are the fuses ok? There must be a fuse somewhere for the motors.
You never should have gotten the car "fixed" when you brought it back down here. You made it mad
The good thing is its going to be really nice and warm for the week. Nice top down driving.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My top once did that and it was blown fuse. I believe in my case one of the latch motors was a bit sticky and caused the top motor to strain and blow the fuse. After that I used to apply gentle pressure to "help" the loft away from the windshield header. Never had another problem.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

If needed (rain?), you should be able to manually operate the latches with lots of turns of an appropriate screwdriver. I hope its a simple fix -- let us know.

Doc
Old 02-28-2006, 05:43 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Hey thanks Rick. You hit it right on the nose. Fuse #13 was burned out. Dealer is mailing one out to me tonite. I just hope nothing happened before the fuse blew...

Now, since I loosened the manual emergency bolts I have no idea what I should torque them at when I tighten them. I just loosened them with the lug wrench. Anyone know?? They were pretty tight.

Well, it's almost cocktail hour and tomorrow is another day

Quick Reply: 91 Cabriolet Top opening problems