Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Old 06-04-2018, 07:26 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

RPM has a red lower miler but there’s no pricing. I have heard that the Targa on Autotrader has some mild rust issues but I haven’t seen the PPI to confirm what the issue was.

With so few manufactured and likely many already destroyed they just don’t come up for sale. If you’re thinking of selling I know a couple of people who might be interested.
You have one interested party here if you are thinking of selling. Thank you.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:21 PM
Nostrathomas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have a manual 1990 964 C2 Coupe that I may be looking to sell, but was hoping to get some opinions from the local community, as I’m at the stage where I either keep it as my long-term car, or perhaps time to sell it and get the 993 that the kid in me has always pined for.

I bought the car about 4 years ago when it had 158K Kilometres, and it now has 161 (equivalent to about 100K miles). As you can guess, it’s a Canadian car, spending most of it’s life in BC, and now being here in Alberta. It had a decent, if incomplete, record history when I bought it, and over the last 3K I’ve been making sure I’m doing everything I can to either fix any issues or do any maintenance items that I don’t have records for. Just last week it had an engine-out service with valve adjustment, new timing/valve covers, new spark plugs, reseal, new starter. etc. A couple of years ago I replaced a whole bunch of oil and cooler lines, as well as some transmission work. It’s had probably around $10K spent on it over the course of my ownership to ensure that it’s in top mechanical shape. Cosmetic wise it’s also in really great condition…a couple of small imperfections here and there, but nothing major. I would say it’s a solid 8/10 car with almost everything being stock apart from the Quaife diff and crappy stereo.

A few questions:
• Curious what a fair market value of this would be?
•To what extend does being in Canada effect the price? I’m relatively close to Montana and could drive the car down to the border, but I’m not sure how much of a pain in the *** the cross-border purchase is for Americans.
• I’m not in any particular rush, but I think my end goal is to replace it with a manual 993 C2 in the 40-75K mile range, with hopefully as little $ difference as possible. At the moment, it does seem like 993’s still hold more value, but that 964’s have more momentum upward. Am I better off waiting? I know my car isn’t in the upper echelon of desirable 964 years and color combos, but a solid C2 coupe 964 seems to be considerably harder to find than an equivalent 993.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:31 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nostrathomas
So I have a manual 964 C2 Coupe that I may be looking to sell, but was hoping to get some opinions from the local community, as I’m at the stage where I either keep it as my long-term car, or perhaps time to sell it and get the 993 that the kid in me has always pined for.

I bought the car about 4 years ago when it had 158K Kilometres, and it now has 161 (equivalent to about 100K miles). As you can guess, it’s a Canadian car, spending most of it’s life in BC, and now being here in Alberta. It had a decent, if incomplete, record history when I bought it, and over the last 3K I’ve been making sure I’m doing everything I can to either fix any issues or do any maintenance items that I don’t have records for. Just last week it had an engine-out service with valve adjustment, new timing/valve covers, new spark plugs, reseal, new starter. etc. A couple of years ago I replaced a whole bunch of oil and cooler lines, as well as some transmission work. It’s had probably around $10K spent on it over the course of my ownership to ensure that it’s in top mechanical shape. Cosmetic wise it’s also in really great condition…a couple of small imperfections here and there, but nothing major. I would say it’s a solid 8/10 car with almost everything being stock apart from the Quaife diff and crappy stereo.

A few questions:
• Curious what a fair market value of this would be?
•To what extend does being in Canada effect the price? I’m relatively close to Montana and could drive the car down to the border, but I’m not sure how much of a pain in the *** the cross-border purchase is for Americans.
• I’m not in any particular rush, but I think my end goal is to replace it with a manual 993 C2 in the 40-75K mile range, with hopefully as little $ difference as possible. At the moment, it does seem like 993’s still hold more value, but that 964’s have more momentum upward. Am I better off waiting? I know my car isn’t in the upper echelon of desirable 964 years and color combos, but a solid C2 coupe 964 seems to be considerably harder to find than an equivalent 993.

What model year is it?
Old 06-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Nostrathomas
Rennlist Member

Ah sorry forgot to put that in. 1990.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:47 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Ah sorry forgot to put that in. 1990.
My 2 cents for you on this sir is that having owned (currently own) both model series you mention, I would not trade a well known 964 C2 for a 993 Narrow Body. It is not worth it IMHO. Much easier to find a NB 993 that it is to find a good 964 C2.

Good Luck!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:56 PM
Nostrathomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAB12
My 2 cents for you on this sir is that having owned (currently own) both model series you mention, I would not trade a well known 964 C2 for a 993 Narrow Body. It is not worth it IMHO. Much easier to find a NB 993 that it is to find a good 964 C2.
Appreciate the opinion...I'm still a little conflicted about it myself. I'll be honest, it's mostly the aesthetics of the rear half of the 993 that draws me to the generation. Then again, I much prefer the front of the 964. What are you finding to be biggest difference between the two? Any noticeable differences in quality, reliability, or basic enjoyment?
Old 06-11-2018, 10:58 PM
gavram
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

As purchased
purchase price (in USD please) $49000
purchase date June 2018
mileage 23000
state or country where purchased Ohio
Model year 1989
C2 or C4 C4
Coupe, targa or cab coupe
color guards red
tip or manual manual
NA or turbo na
any aftermarket accessories that came with the car (including but not limited to wheels, suspension, exhaust, seats, stereo, mirrors, pedals, steering wheel, etc.) None
did the vehicle come with tool kit partial
did the vehicle come with tire inflator kit yes
your assessment of the vehicle history in terms of paperwork/receipts (1-10, 10 being highest) 5
your assessment of the interior quality (1-10, 10 being highest) 9
your assessment of the exterior quality (1-10, 10 being highest) 8
your assessment of the mechanical condition of the vehicle (1-10, 10 being highest) 8
Notes: 1 owner (local). Clean PPI less ABS issue. Price reduced $1K to cover ABS fix. Rear lights & center reflector showing some age, which lowered exterior score. Cigarette lighter, rubber tray for center consol, & a couple of tools missing, which lowered interior score. Otherwise great shape w/no leaks, original radio & all working switches. My 1st air-cooled and really impressed with ride quality.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:45 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Appreciate the opinion...I'm still a little conflicted about it myself. I'll be honest, it's mostly the aesthetics of the rear half of the 993 that draws me to the generation. Then again, I much prefer the front of the 964. What are you finding to be biggest difference between the two? Any noticeable differences in quality, reliability, or basic enjoyment?
993 better driveability every day, better build quality, more reliable, "let's go to the office and enjoy the drive" car
964 more go-kart feel, rawer, midnight getaway car.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:48 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
993 better driveability every day, better build quality, more reliable, "let's go to the office and enjoy the drive" car
964 more go-kart feel, rawer, midnight getaway car.
???? Nothing against the 993 but give me a 964 for old school hand assembled build quality and original old school 911 feel. The 993 has a great behind but looses so much of what the earlier cars were all about.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ i am with you
Old 06-14-2018, 03:06 AM
Kevvve
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post to RL. Found this one a couple hours from me. Clean so-cal C4, Id be the 3 owner. History of 1 low speed rear end collision. PPI completed today and just needed basic maintenance and tires which is being taken care of by the dealer. Super stoked to pick her up next week.

purchase price (in USD please) $46,000 Reduced from $51,000
purchase date 06.13.18
mileage odd stopped at 146k
state or country where purchased California
Model year 1991
C2 or C4 C4
Coupe, targa or cab Coupe
color Black
tip or manual Manual
NA or turbo NA
any aftermarket accessories that came with the car (including but not limited to wheels, suspension, exhaust, seats, stereo, mirrors, pedals, steering wheel, etc.) n/a
did the vehicle come with tool kit Yes
did the vehicle come with tire inflator kit NO
your assessment of the vehicle history in terms of paperwork/receipts (1-10, 10 being highest) 6
your assessment of the interior quality (1-10, 10 being highest) 7
your assessment of the exterior quality (1-10, 10 being highest) 7
your assessment of the mechanical condition of the vehicle (1-10, 10 being highest) 8
Old 06-14-2018, 08:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

^^^ congrats and enjoy
Old 06-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats Kevvve, looking forward to seeing more pics once you have her.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:17 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Cool 964 all day long

Originally Posted by cobalt
???? Nothing against the 993 but give me a 964 for old school hand assembled build quality and original old school 911 feel. The 993 has a great behind but looses so much of what the earlier cars were all about.
I've never owned an aircooled turbo of any generation so cannot speak to that feeling. But my experience within my humble trio, I will take them in this order all day long. 1.- 964 C4, 2.- 993 C4S, 3.- 993 C2S. I personally prefer the AWD motion on the 9934S. I bought these cars for investment and events, not for performance, I don't wrench, track or race. Never driven a 964 C2 so cannot speak to that either, but as far as feel, I am with Cobalt on that one. I love love the original old school feel, you can tell and feel the hand assembly and I much prefer to drive the 964 overall. Porsche duped everyone with the 993 C2S through very limited production and marketing. And also that most of us are suckerzzz for ample derrieres... The car is essentially a base 993 C2 with a wide body frame and a few minor interior trimmings to make you feel good. Especially the 'Carrera S' inscription inside the RPM Gauge. That was the final FU from Porsche to justify the added price tag and two decades plus of everyone going nuts trying to find these cars ranging from collectible Unicorns to 'good deal' and bargains. I forgot how many new RLs have pm'd me asking about C2S ownership. Half of them have never owned a Porsche before let alone air cooled. It's just a 'Fad' or an insatiable need to punch your bragging rights ticket for the next cars and coffee. Laughable sometimes. I don't agree with that, but I am always happy to help as others so selflessly helped me when I was searching and I continue to thank them for that, those of you know who you are.

Whatever happend to that 993 Turbo from Lux motors, did someone pick it up? $97 K for a 993 Turbo is too good to be true. Something's up there? See you on the next...
Old 06-14-2018, 12:20 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kevvve
First post to RL. Found this one a couple hours from me. Clean so-cal C4, Id be the 3 owner. History of 1 low speed rear end collision. PPI completed today and just needed basic maintenance and tires which is being taken care of by the dealer. Super stoked to pick her up next week.

purchase price (in USD please) $46,000 Reduced from $51,000
purchase date 06.13.18
mileage odd stopped at 146k
state or country where purchased California
Model year 1991
C2 or C4 C4
Coupe, targa or cab Coupe
color Black
tip or manual Manual
NA or turbo NA
any aftermarket accessories that came with the car (including but not limited to wheels, suspension, exhaust, seats, stereo, mirrors, pedals, steering wheel, etc.) n/a
did the vehicle come with tool kit Yes
did the vehicle come with tire inflator kit NO
your assessment of the vehicle history in terms of paperwork/receipts (1-10, 10 being highest) 6
your assessment of the interior quality (1-10, 10 being highest) 7
your assessment of the exterior quality (1-10, 10 being highest) 7

Congrats! Great buy and welcome to the Forum..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 964 Prices