Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:33 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic993
Its Guards Red. That's the thing...If it was a PTS car or it had some rare options, then I would get it...
But a standard Red C2 for $115K? That's serious stuff
Was this car sold by Marshall Goldman two or so years back? If it is the car I am thinking it is a pristine example. But I would expect everything to be better than perfect at that price.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:50 PM
Supersonic964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Was this car sold by Marshall Goldman two or so years back? If it is the car I am thinking it is a pristine example. But I would expect everything to be better than perfect at that price.
Not sure if it's from Marshall Goldman..Lets say its perfect, is it worth that price? Trying to gauge the market. Looking to buy my 1st 964.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:46 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeropooch
hey guys- it's slim pickings here in california for a 1991 964 that's silver with manual transmission for under $35k. I'm not ready to buy just yet but should be in the next couple of months. So i started looking at importing one from Japan. I've mostly been looking at auctions but wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with importing to California?
u won't be able to register it in California. DOT & EPA exempted but we have CARB here.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Not sure if it's from Marshall Goldman..Lets say its perfect, is it worth that price? Trying to gauge the market. Looking to buy my 1st 964.
I would be happy to give you my thoughts either in another thread or a PM. It would be interesting if this is the car I think it is.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Holtmotorsports
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. The C2 mentioned above we've had in our personal 964 collection since ~2010-2011. Truly a stunning example.

- Tim Jr.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:38 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi

What is the price on the blk/blk 94 C2?

Originally Posted by Holtmotorsports
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. The C2 mentioned above we've had in our personal 964 collection since ~2010-2011. Truly a stunning example.

- Tim Jr.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:43 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Was looking at a 90 964 with 75K miles, 6 speed.

Went to Hagerty's for a price estimate == which i've found to be notoriously high -- but it claims
$24.8K for a 3, and only $32.1K for a 2 (which it is not).

Something seems amiss -- where are folks getting better value estimates?

thanks,

Mike
Old 12-24-2016, 12:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Was looking at a 90 964 with 75K miles, 6 speed.

Went to Hagerty's for a price estimate == which i've found to be notoriously high -- but it claims
$24.8K for a 3, and only $32.1K for a 2 (which it is not).

Something seems amiss -- where are folks getting better value estimates?

thanks,

Mike
Hagerty hasn't been close to correct about their valuations ever when dealing with the 964. Find me a number 1 or number 2 car and then we can discuss what the price should be. $32.1 for a #2 is #2.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:18 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Value estimations for 964's are challenging due to the price demand in the convertibles, targa, and coupes. On top of that, the Tip vs. Manual trans price delta can be staggering. If you need help with what a fair price is, just ask.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:30 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Guys I need some clarity....I called a "Well Known" air cooled dealer about a
'93 C2 Coupe with 38,000 miles. Pristine condition.
He was asking for $115,000 That is CRAZY money for a C2!!

He was stating that, the 964 C2's are commanding these prices in pristine condition. Is this realistic? Am i missing something?

Thx
IMO if you are planning on putting it in some collection(though at 38k miles it still to high) then maybe it may be worth it to you...BUT once you put it out on the road and put some miles on it plus a few rock chips for good measure..that value will drop faster then an old man's pair of nuts! I guess for every seat there's an ****...they are waiting for their **** to walk through the front door..more power to them, they do have nice cars.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:55 PM
Jay911
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speednme
IMO if you are planning on putting it in some collection(though at 38k miles it still to high) then maybe it may be worth it to you...BUT once you put it out on the road and put some miles on it plus a few rock chips for good measure..that value will drop faster then an old man's pair of nuts! I guess for every seat there's an ****...they are waiting for their **** to walk through the front door..more power to them, they do have nice cars.
There's a lot of free money out there since the election. A million in the bank could equal a a free 964 for Christmas.

I think you need to compare that car to a simular 964, same condition, mileage, that is currently for sale. Just remember there is plenty of junk out there.

Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-24-2016, 08:47 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay911
There's a lot of free money out there since the election. A million in the bank could equal a a free 964 for Christmas.

I think you need to compare that car to a simular 964, same condition, mileage, that is currently for sale. Just remember there is plenty of junk out there.

Merry Christmas!!!
While there is some junk out there, there are a lot of great drivers that one can have fun with. There are two kinds of people, those that want a museum quality car to take out on every full moon and those that want to get in and drive a nice car that they can have fun and make memories with...now with that said there are a few exceptions who want the best but are not afraid to use it as intended...but those are few and far between. That price is only worth it to the person buying it. That person can show up tomorrow or 5 years down the road(these similar type of dealers seem not to care when they show up). Honestly these garage queens are beautiful pieces of paperweight if value is your focus. One bird dropping and the value hits the crapper

Merry Christmas to you as well!!
Old 12-26-2016, 10:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Here is the biggest problem I have been finding with most everything on the market.

If they don't have hidden issues like covered up accident damage they have little problems that will add up in a short time.

Here is a friends 100k mile 91 C2. Car was sold for a fair asking price mechanically it is perfect and passed a PPI by a qualified mechanic.

A few years of driving and now it looks like the first pictures below. Records show a reputable Mass independent replacing oil lines which is a common problem. However when they removed the oil line that goes over the top of the oil tank and down to the thermostat they did not route them properly. In turn they could not fit the tank back into place properly. So they eliminated the rubber support at the top of the tank and mounted it metal to metal. They also lost one of the supports to the muffler bracket that mounts to the power steering pump. Lastly they never checked to see if the pipe that returns the oil to the engine case was torqued down properly.

Doesn't seem like much but when he purchased the car the bottom had been freshly steam cleaned and looked fine.

If you look at the pictures the hoses leading to the tank were so highly stressed that the hose clamps (not stock) cut into the lines. The pipe was pushed out of location and rubbed against the tire. It is possible that the pipe being out of its proper location caused the nut that screws into the case loosened from the tire rubbing (Still don't have a cause for this) In any case it took time but the oil eventually made it through the fine threads and began to spray oil everyplace. When I got the car the heater boxes had a 1/4" of oil sitting in the bottoms along with everything being soaked in oil and dirt. The lower bolt holding the muffler bracket in place was so stressed it snapped leaving the muffler dangling.

If I were a shop charging $100 or more an hour to work on these I can only imagine how much the cost to fix and clean this up would be. I am just helping out a friend but I have 40 hours into it and the owner another 10 or more cleaning degreasing. There are over $500 in parts needed and we haven't finished yet.

I look at a half dozen or so of these cars a month and not many are close to a number 3 and sold as number 2's with lots of hidden problems like this. If it isn't something like this it is servo motors that are no good for the ventilation system of some other expensive repair or worse poorly fixed damage from an undisclosed accident.

Many people buy and drive and don't realize how many little problems can go unnoticed and eventually turn a nice car into a mess.

When a truly nice car comes along they are pricey but usually rightfully so. So even passing a PPI doesn't necessarily mean a car that won't cost you so if you can find one and enjoy it a few hundred or thousand miles a year than it is what it is worth to you and finding these cars with less than 60k miles on them needing nothing is becoming nearly impossible.
Attached Images         
Old 12-26-2016, 10:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So now we are in the process of putting everything back and I still have another 8 or so hours of time needed to bring this car where it should be. It is a very nice example but things like this can cause all sorts of expensive problems.

If this were my car i would be putting a lot more time into cleaning it but this is free work. If you can find a 964 that the owner has maintained or has low mileage without issues than that in itself IMO is worth a lot of $$.
Attached Images      
Old 12-26-2016, 02:36 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks Cobalt

Your posts are spot on.
As are your cars.

I will send a PM,

Happy Hollidays,

Alan

Quick Reply: 964 Prices