Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 04:55 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 188 Posts

Model year vs mileage is an interesting question. The answer is "depends." Porsche updated and fixed issues with these cars throughout the whole production run and the 92-94 cars are more desirable in my view, not only because they have the updates, but also because fewer were made. But mileage can play a big role depending on the intended use of the car as well. Each case is different. Obviously, the lower the mileage, the better, but not always. Maintenance and repair history are more important in many cases than both model year, and mileage.

Generally speaking, these are the factors on desirability and therefore price, in order of importance:

Coupe > Targa > Cab
Manual > Tiptronic
C2 > C4
Stock > Modified
'92-'94 > '89-'91
Black Interior > all others - yes, it's true.
Black Exterior < all others - I keeed, but only a little.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:16 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Model year vs mileage is an interesting question. The answer is "depends." Porsche updated and fixed issues with these cars throughout the whole production run and the 92-94 cars are more desirable in my view, not only because they have the updates, but also because fewer were made. But mileage can play a big role depending on the intended use of the car as well. Each case is different. Obviously, the lower the mileage, the better, but not always. Maintenance and repair history are more important in many cases than both model year, and mileage.

Generally speaking, these are the factors on desirability and therefore price, in order of importance:

Coupe > Targa > Cab
Manual > Tiptronic
C2 > C4
Stock > Modified
'92-'94 > '89-'91

+1. When I was looking for my 964 I wanted a stock Black on Black, C2 92+. I was not at all concerned about miles though so long as the history was well documented. Eventually I found exactly what I wanted - with 125,000 miles and every service record since day one. To me documentation is everything. So wouldn't shy away from any color or year that is well documented. The 964 was a hated car for many many years and thus most were neglected. Finding clean one is a challenge.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:13 AM
desertaircooled
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko

Coupe > Targa > Cab
Manual > Tiptronic
C2 > C4
Stock > Modified
'92-'94 > '89-'91
Great info, thanks. My preferences are Coupe, Manual, C2, any year, tan/brown interior, white red or silver (in that order) exterior. Looks like I'll have my work cut out finding the right one I've also been considering SC's and 3.2 Carrera's so I have plenty of back up options. And of course being based in Vegas, I keep seeing good examples on the other side of the country. I'm not adverse to travelling but it has to fit into the schedule.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Prices I've seen for manual trans C2 hardtops has been ridiculous recently. C4 prices are under $40k for some examples, but Nothing under $50k for C2. Are my expecatations out of line? Or are these C2's prices over $50k just not selling? I know condition miles, etc are big variables.

For me, I'm looking for a manual hardtop C2 driver. I'm not scared of a well modified car.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:38 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
Prices I've seen for manual trans C2 hardtops has been ridiculous recently. C4 prices are under $40k for some examples, but Nothing under $50k for C2. Are my expecatations out of line? Or are these C2's prices over $50k just not selling? I know condition miles, etc are big variables.

For me, I'm looking for a manual hardtop C2 driver. I'm not scared of a well modified car.
That seems to be the case. With all the exposure from Singer, Lightspeed, Magnus, RWB, etc I don't think the prices will come down anytime soon. Demand is going up and supply is going down especially with all the backdates and RWB conversions. Finding a C2 is tough and most likely will cost a premium.

Good luck in your search.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:08 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Are my expecatations out of line?
What are your expectations?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:15 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

I was thinking C2's would hold a minimal premium over c4 - maybe $5-$10k and you could find a driver for $40k. But it appears to be at least a $20k premium over c4s with C2's over 100k/mi starting at over $50k.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:31 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

it will be very hard to find a sub 100k C2 manual under 50k right now. Pickings are SLIM.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:01 AM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The pickings have gotten slimmer and slimmer in just a few short months. I just took a look at auto trader and not a single c2 manual is for sale and eBay had two one for 45k with 80k miles and one for 56 with 50k miles; but that's it. It wasn't the case a few months ago. Not sure what's going on but I can tell not a week goes buy some total stranger on the street asks me if I'm willing to sell and offering big money. It's all kind of nuts if you ask me. I wanted another to mod but have decide to move on to an sc which has also began to keep up.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:49 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

I have found 2 cars I am interested in. I could use a little help from those with more experience with these cars. Both are manual trans C2 cars.

1. 1993 50k/mi car for $47500. Well documented for the last 7 years. Light mods which I am not afraid of (dampers, wheels/tires, chip) stock components come with the car. These are likely things I will do to whatever I own over time. Navy in color. No PPI yet, 2000 miles away.

2. 1990 52k/mi car for $49000. resell red. New interior leather and carpets. Stock. 30 miles away from me.

I am not sure if the paint is original on either yet. And clearly a PPI could set one apart from another. What I am wondering about is the difference between the years. I've read the 1990s are head gasket -less. How big of an issue is this? The car will see some track time, so it will get hot I imagine. What other differences are there between the years I should be considering? Is a 1993 worth significantly more than a 1990? or is it not really a big deal?
Old 10-31-2015, 07:53 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Both cars seem good on paper. Option 1 seems like the better deal, plus it looks to be set-up the way you like. Always cheaper to buy the work already done. Any rebuilds on either? Definitely get a PPI done, but I would go for #1 and have shipped.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

It seems that all things being the same a 93 will command more than a 90 the spread seems to be getting larger since there were so few 92-94's made. Buy the better car no doubt but if they are close I would opt for the newer version there are many little improvements.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:49 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

As described option #1 is a no brainer. Later year, better color, mods plus stock components, less miles, lower price. Many times when seats get reupholstered the quality of the work does not match OEM.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:51 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

car #1 owner is not responding. so maybe that one is gone. Sounds like no one is shying away from the cars without gaskets.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:00 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have found 2 cars I am interested in. I could use a little help from those with more experience with these cars. Both are manual trans C2 cars.

What other differences are there between the years I should be considering? Is a 1993 worth significantly more than a 1990? or is it not really a big deal?
I prefer 92 and later due to some refinements.

Some updates in later model, included 'sealing rings' to the cylinder bases to prevent oil leaks which can plague some 89-91 cars. C2 models got rid of twin piston rear calipers for the larger 4 piston part from the C4 model. A more efficient plastic intake manifold was added. Also distributor venting, but most earlier 964s probably were updated by now. 17" Cup style wheels were available. The most notable exterior difference between early and late 964s are re-styled rear view mirrors which will look familiar to any 993.

Quick Reply: 964 Prices