Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:36 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

I Apologize if I am hijacking the thread. How are 86-88 carreras doing price wise? Are these cars appreciating in prices too? Any idea how much a low mileage '86, all original with <35, 000 miles b worth?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:20 PM
ejs1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping my question is in the right place... Topic: Current market value of a 1991 964 C2. I don't want to hijack the thread but perhaps this will help others too... Please let me know if this needs to be moved. thanks!

Here the story:

- I'm not personally looking for a 964. I already own two 911s, and, even though I like the 964s, I'm not actively looking to buy another one Porsche.

- The 964 in question belongs to a friend in my neighborhood. He's an older gentleman who saw my cars and we started chatting about Porsches. Next thing you know, I promised to help him determine the market value of his current 964 so that he could buy a newer 911. Getting a modern 911 with warranty is his true motivation. I have nothing invested in this transaction and probably the only thing I can gain in the end is his trust. That's all there is.

- Car is a black/black 2 owner car from CA. Has 89k miles. Tiptronic, C2, coupe. Car seems to be 100% stock with no modifications.

- I drove it today and it feels very solid. Everything works. A/C was repaired couple of years ago. Other than that, basic maintenance.

- Exterior paint needs to be restored. Saw a paint detailer/expert today who works with my mechanic and his comment was that both the interior and exterior can be restored without major expenses. Seats have no cracks. Passenger side door has a few dings and scratches that should be easy to fix. Sun roof seals need to be replaced as well. Car is overall pretty dirty and you can tell that washing/waxing was not one of the highest priorities for the current owner. It has always been garaged, though.

- Car has not been in an accident based on what I was told (do not have the carfax though) but the owner's wife once hit a concrete post in a parking garage that resulted in body work to the driver side door and fender. Saw the receipts today. Work was done by a local reputable body shop that at least in the past had a service contract with the local Porsche dealer for their body work. Total in '09 for all the work was ~7k.

- My mechanic inspected the car today and gave it his thumbs up with the exception of couple of leaking engine gaskets (chain box and chain tensioner gaskets), the exterior and interior detailing work and couple of other minor exterior cosmetic issues. Tires are still in very good shape, and, like I said, overall the car is in good shape. Mechanically everything works.

I understand that work done on the body and the fact that the car is an automatic will not help its resale value but wanted to see if I could get your comments on it?

How much would you pay for it in its as-is condition? I believe the absolute max you'd need to spend on it to make it "marketable" would be 4-5k.

Market value after all above mentioned work done?

Appreciate all the feedback!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:15 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ My guess is around 30 or maybe just above. Value for a C2 tip in very good condition (not a show car) with around 100k miles is just around or maybe slightly above mid 30s.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
I Apologize if I am hijacking the thread. How are 86-88 carreras doing price wise? Are these cars appreciating in prices too? Any idea how much a low mileage '86, all original with <35, 000 miles b worth?
They started appreciating before the 964's. Any low mileage all original 911 will command a premium and the 3.2's have been hot for a while especially the G50 cars a decent driver with around 100k miles will fetch upwards of $40k+. What a <35k mile car is going to fetch? considerably more I would suspect.

Cars like this usually do not trade on the open market and there are people out there looking to pay top $$ for anything low mileage that comes along.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:18 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Apologies for the noob question and if it is off-topic. Based on the varying degree of pricing that was posted. What would you say is a good price range for a 964 C2 or C4 currently? In my seemingly never ending search for a 964 C2 (which appear non-existent) the one I did find was more with 120k-ish(50k) vs a C4 with 140k miles (34k).

I would much prefer to stay within my budget of 25-28k(if that pricing is relative at this point) and the car have been driven and not a garage queen.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:44 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Canucks964. Good idea about importing.

^Infinite1 you will need to up your budget to get a clean title manual 964 C2 coupe. They seem to go for between 30-40k now
Old 02-14-2015, 03:47 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Originally Posted by TouringTeg
^Infinite1 you will need to up your budget to get a clean title manual 964 C2 coupe. They seem to go for between 30-40k now
Thanks! That's what I was afraid of...now I really wish I started looking a long time ago.

Thanks Canuck964 as well for sharing that bit of info. I'm searching towards our friends in the north for to possibly find one. It appears we have slim pickings in the US right now (either that or i'm not searching properly lol).
Old 02-15-2015, 10:23 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Thanks! That's what I was afraid of...now I really wish I started looking a long time ago.

Thanks Canuck964 as well for sharing that bit of info. I'm searching towards our friends in the north for to possibly find one. It appears we have slim pickings in the US right now (either that or i'm not searching properly lol).
Infinite1 - I think that the US has more stringent rules regarding the import of non North American cars than Canada. The rules appear to be less stringent if the car is 25 years and older. Most 964's are 25 years old now.

I am not sure that my Japanese 964 could have been imported into the US 10 years ago when I purchased her.

Have a look at the website of the dealer that imported my car. He lists every car he has sold in the past.

http://www.eurosportimports.com/

Maybe he can help you look for a Japanese import. The strength of the US dollar will certainly help.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:40 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Originally Posted by canuck964
Infinite1 - I think that the US has more stringent rules regarding the import of non North American cars than Canada. The rules appear to be less stringent if the car is 25 years and older. Most 964's are 25 years old now.

I am not sure that my Japanese 964 could have been imported into the US 10 years ago when I purchased her.

Have a look at the website of the dealer that imported my car. He lists every car he has sold in the past.

http://www.eurosportimports.com/

Maybe he can help you look for a Japanese import. The strength of the US dollar will certainly help.
Thanks again Canuck964! I'll definitely reach out to them.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:44 AM
peter_jansen
Instructor

Default Word Of Caution

I am a Canadian in search of my first pcar (has to be a 964). During my year-long hunt I have come across numerous 911's that, after due diligence, turned out to have been originally out of the US with a salvage title. Many of these were in Quebec (a Canadian province). Not looking to criticize, just passing on a warning for those of you looking north for a car. Be sure to do all of your homework. The US/CAD exchange rate has made Canadian cars worth looking at for guys in the US. Just be cautious.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:18 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peter_jansen
I am a Canadian in search of my first pcar (has to be a 964). During my year-long hunt I have come across numerous 911's that, after due diligence, turned out to have been originally out of the US with a salvage title. Many of these were in Quebec (a Canadian province). Not looking to criticize, just passing on a warning for those of you looking north for a car. Be sure to do all of your homework. The US/CAD exchange rate has made Canadian cars worth looking at for guys in the US. Just be cautious.
I think I know the cars you are talking about, I am pretty sure they are sold now BUT the owner was very upfront about it when I was looking.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:43 PM
morrisroad
Instructor

Location: Toronto, Canada,Planet Earth, Earth-Moon System, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe

Originally Posted by TouringTeg
Thanks Canucks964. Good idea about importing.

For the few 964 pcars that I've seen come up in searches locally, most are in the range you noted, and above. The 964 is a great looking car and continues to age very well in my opinion.

As far as current market price, the Excellence current news stand lists a '90-'94 C2 Coupe -> Avg 24K USD Good 30K USD Excellent 36K. *

*Ref. Market Update 1989-1998 911s, The last of the air-cooled 911s. Excellence, 226, p72, 04 2015

Based on the exchange rate today: Avg $30K CAD, Good $38K CAD and Excellent $45K CAD.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:03 AM
TomKim
Cruisin'

Guys, just thought about sharing with ya all - spotted this rare 964 Turbo 3.6 for sale! If anyone's interested.... there ya go

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks
Old 03-08-2015, 09:14 PM
penpen2015
Intermediate

Sorry for the long layoff between updates. I'm still waiting back for some info from other RL members to fill out the chart but it's been updated until the last post. I'll be tossing my car's info in as well after the seller and I figure out a couple of things. Again, sorry for the delay and hopefully this will help everyone make an informed decision moving forward.

Eventually, I'll probably go to the trouble to graph all of these things to make a visual representation of the value of the cars based on the various criteria.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0

Last edited by penpen2015; 03-08-2015 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link to doc
Old 03-08-2015, 11:25 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by penpen2015
Sorry for the long layoff between updates. I'm still waiting back for some info from other RL members to fill out the chart but it's been updated until the last post. I'll be tossing my car's info in as well after the seller and I figure out a couple of things. Again, sorry for the delay and hopefully this will help everyone make an informed decision moving forward.

Eventually, I'll probably go to the trouble to graph all of these things to make a visual representation of the value of the cars based on the various criteria.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0
Who bought that Tahoe Blue one in Montreal?

Quick Reply: 964 Prices