Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Is a 964 transmission fluid change "DIY" ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/244990-is-a-964-transmission-fluid-change-diy.html)

Euromagination 12-27-2005 12:29 PM

Is a 964 transmission fluid change "DIY" ?

Always trying to stay on top of things over here, I'd now like to move on to the transmission fluid and try to change it over to synthetic. I ran a search, but saw no talk of the fluid-changing "method".
I know that with my old Audi's, changing the transmission fluid was better left to be done by the dealer for refill reasons. Is the 964 a pain as well, or can this be a new "DIY" job for me? If it can, what steps are involved and how long should it take? Pointers?

Thnx again gentlemen,
Harry

Gary R. 12-27-2005 12:58 PM

Very easy to do if you get a small gear lube pump. The only hard part is getting the gear oil into the box due to the position of the fill/level hole. Other than using a pump you can use the one quart (need 4 of them) bottles that have a "squirt" adapter on top. You put some fuel line hose on it and can reach it from the driver's wheel well with someone holding it in the fill hole and squeeze the bottle in. The oil needs to be warm or it will take forever this way.. Its full when oil spills back out the fill hole, about 3.8 QTs.. Be sure to warm the tranny up before draining also so all the old crap comes out..

craig001 12-27-2005 01:35 PM

Check that you can break the fill plug free before draining the tranny fluid. I would hate for you to discover that the fill plug has frozen after you drained the tranny. :typing:

Rennen 12-27-2005 02:38 PM

Also, please make sure you have replacement, single use washers to put back on the drain and fill plugs once you're ready to button things back up. You should not reuse the old rings because they will leak.

Kahdmus 12-27-2005 06:26 PM

The following thread contains the excellent advice I received when I did mine:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/144740-transmission-fluid.html

It really was not a difficult job at all if you have a small hand pump (I got one at a kragens/Pep Boys for less than $5).

Also order new O-rings Part# 900.123.011.30.

Note for those with a C4, that you need to do front AND back.

Euromagination 12-28-2005 01:25 PM

Perfect. Thanks all! This looks pretty straight-forward.

bluepine 12-13-2015 02:45 PM

I have a 91 964 Turbo.
During cold weather, I have hard time shifting gear. Especially to 1st. and 2nd. I was told by some friends, that i should use lighter oil. What type of oil would i have to use, if anyone had the same issue?
And, is the sealing ring the same that is used for the engine oil plug?
I'll appreciate anyone's feedback.

Mark

FeralComprehension 12-13-2015 07:03 PM

Choose your advisors with care. Call Steve Weiner at Rennsport or Matt Monson of Guard Transmission and do what they suggest.

JasonAndreas 12-14-2015 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by bluepine (Post 12839030)
I have a 91 964 Turbo.
During cold weather, I have hard time shifting gear. Especially to 1st. and 2nd.

For cold weather it is worth the tiny additional expense of paying extra for Mobilube PTX that you have to buy (if in the USA) from a Porsche dealer. Delvac/SHC that many shops recommend does not work well in cold weather.

Bruizer 12-14-2015 01:38 PM

Sealing crush washer is the same as oil drain plugs
Use Mobile Delvac.
Amazon has it. It's very hard to find at auto part stores.
Good luck

hepkat63 12-14-2015 11:20 PM

auto trans fluid sucks and it stinks (just saying) and the very last thing you want spilled in the man cage... near impossible to clean up again.

I am sure I could do it myself, but stuff that - for the sake of an hour's labor - i got my local mechanic to put it up on the hoist and do it. I bought the gaskets and fluid, supplied the instructions & torque settings and just got him to do the change.

Goughary 12-15-2015 11:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
just a word on a comment made above - this really couldn't be an easier and more straight forward job - you literally drain and refill.

but - on the "break the fill plug loose first" - this is the one step you must comply with. We went to break the fill plug loose on the front diff of the alabama car and it was completely seized. Needed huge torque to get it loose. Many owners of these cars never touch trans fluid - and most people blow off front diff fluid more often than you would believe (same goes for rear diff fluid in most awd cars)...so the likelyhood of having a seized drain or fill plug is higher than you think.

I highly recommend doing this yourself - you will know it was done well and right. its easy to do, and if you aren't paying shop rates, you are likely to change your fluid more regularly. You and your car will be happier.

but - be sure to throw away any cheep 10mm allen sockets you have and only use good quality sockets - I bought a set of blackhawk impact sockets and am very happy with them. pics attached of a 3/8 impact stubby and a 1/2 standard impact. Due to the likelihood of a seized or stuck plug - make sure to have a good quality tool around - last thing you need is to destroy the plug.

but if you have a garage and stands - definitely jump in and do this yourself.