Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear sway bar for a Tiptronic

Old 12-04-2005, 08:45 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Rear sway bar for a Tiptronic

I'd like to upgrade my stock 19mm rear sway bar to 21mm. My sway bar has a couple of offsets to clear the transmission...will all sway bars offered for C2 w/ manual transmission fit my car or I'm I stuck with this 19mm?

Thanks, Kevin

ps. does any one have a 21mm rear sway bar they'd like to sell?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

Just curious, but do you track your Porsche? I can't see how this upgrade would appreciably impact handling characteristics, other than under the most severe driving applications. I would think that a properly installed roll bar (which you would want in a track car) would do more for body rigidity than upgrading the rear swaybar. Also, I am assuming that you have installed a front strut bar already.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Syd,

A larger rear anti-sway bar will not help to increase body rigidity but rather will help to reduce understeer.

Marc
Old 12-05-2005, 03:22 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Auto X only. I'd like to reduce the body sway going thru fast tight turns like the one sees during auto x events and trying to find parking at Costco.

There's not much to the stock setup...split rubber bushings,etc. Not very tight, if you ask me.

My car sways like a drunkin' sailor, and I've gotten comments to that effect while out on the coarse. Other than that the car behaves well.

later, Kevin
Old 12-06-2005, 12:08 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mojorizing
I'd like to upgrade my stock 19mm rear sway bar to 21mm.
Kevin,

I've tracked my Tip for 2 years and have found the stock bars to be adequate and pretty neutral. I also did not notice too much body roll with my setup, as a matter of fact, I could almost lift my front wheel during high G turns (I'll post the pic if I find it). My setup was stock sway bars, Bilstein HD's with H&R RSA/Turbo springs, and front upper strut brace. Alignments & ride heights were dialed to Eruo RS specs.

There was a thread from about a year ago regarding sway bar choices and I remember Adrian saying the 19mm rear bars on a Tip C2 to be a good match.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:14 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

I should look at going the Bilstein/ H&R route on my suspension.....Hey Santa, take note of this!

Thanks for the info, Peter.

later, Kevin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear sway bar for a Tiptronic