buying first porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 02:59 PM
iandavidcassidy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying first porsche

hi guys

i have seen both these cars this week and i need advice...
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/53107.htm
http://www.eporsch.co.uk/0101for_sale.htm (4th down LHD black one £15.495)

roly at eporsch was a great guy very friendly, the car was perfect but had no top end rebuild. It did have new brakes, bushes, wishbones, almost everything else inportant.

the private car had a top end rebuild and a few other bits was also mint and a grand cheaper. i felt under the car and there was a bit of oil, (but it was raining?)

the problem is should i pay more from roly when the top end may need doing, he said this is over the top and all 964's leak oil

which one should i choose!!!?
Old 12-04-2005, 03:09 PM
tafkai

do you need lhd ????
i'd pay the same ammount and get a rhd
Old 12-04-2005, 03:26 PM
iandavidcassidy
Track Day

i have been looking around for a while and at my price range lhd is just about what i can afford! can you find a rhd for inder 14k?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:30 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Both cars look pretty clean. Don't buy a car based on the personality of the owner. Once you own it , don't think any non disclosure problems will be fixed by that owner. I would see if either car had the cylinder heads machined to be fitted with gaskets. Some 89 and 90 engines had an oil weeping problem because of the gasketless heads. Not all Porsches leak oil all of the time, although eventually they probably will with age. Don't let $1000 be your only decision maker. These cars require moderate annual maintenance. Which one handled and sounded better thru the gears and curves. If it still is a toss up, pay for a PPI and see which owner would be interested in splitting the ispection cost.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:42 PM
tafkai

you can get a rhd within that price range .
have you seen the 911virgin website ?
invaluable info for a virgin like yourself !!
http://www.911virgin.com/stock.htm

theres a nicelhd red tip at the bottom of stock page for less than 12k
http://www.911virgin.com/964jaf.htm
Old 12-04-2005, 05:23 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

That red one at 911virgin has been for sale for ages 8 months?-must be something abouit it that puts people off-mileage perhaps?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:33 PM
McJohn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iandavidcassidy
i have been looking around for a while and at my price range lhd is just about what i can afford! can you find a rhd for inder 14k?
Yes you can.

McJ
Old 12-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With 14K you'll more than likely be able to get a RHD car, but it'll be at the bottom end of the scale & likely have high mileage etc. For the same money, you'll be able to pick up a much better LHD car that'll be at the top end of the quality scale. Plus, as many more LHD cars were made, you should have a greater chance of finding the one which ticks all your boxes!!

Have you looked at the 91 C2 for sale at www.oakhills.co.uk or are you only looking for a C4?

Andy
Old 12-04-2005, 07:52 PM
iandavidcassidy
Track Day

thanks all,

i'll drive them both again, i am no expert but the eporsch one drove really nice.
but its the top end not being done that put me off as i have been reading horror stories on here of 6.5K rebuilds!

what is the percentage that go wrong?
whats the later year to go for with better gaskets?
i am only looking for c2's and that oakhills looks nice but a have read bad things about him
Old 12-05-2005, 10:08 AM
iandavidcassidy
Track Day

i have managed to get the eporsch one down to 14k from 15.5k.

any more opinions on this? i am still concerned about no top end rebuild, also when it started up in the showroom there was a little bit of white smoke. will this be bouse it was standing for a long time?

also, i will be leaving this car outside and only driving on the weekends.. will the 964 be okay with this or complain. does the battery hold up etc?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:09 AM
iandavidcassidy
Track Day

http://www.eporsch.co.uk/0101for_sale.htm (4th down LHD black one £15.495)
Old 12-05-2005, 10:35 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

White smoke on startup is common if the car's been sitting a while, oil pools in the cylinders and dissipates at startup. Could also be steam from condensation. Either way, not uncommon.
One week between startups isn't a problem if the battery is up to scratch and the electrical system is working correctly. Many of these cars develop small current draws that add up and flatten batteries - but they're fixable, with persistence.
Top end depends somewhat on the car's driving history - lots of short run or high-temp stop-and-go driving might imply earlier rather than later rebuild. Hard to assess without knowing the car. Lots of these cars go far further without a rebuild, some need one way earlier. If the risk of an expensive rebuild down the road means you can't sleep at night, I'd pass. Sorry.
The car looks great, as far as one can tell from photos!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:27 PM
McJohn
Racer

83k miles? why worry about a rebuild? If it's been looked after that's nothing for an engine of this quality. As for the battery, buy a battery tender.

McJ
Old 12-05-2005, 03:21 PM
robbed666
Racer

Hi,
LH or RH ? IMHO not a great issue. You very soon get use to LHD. The only problem I ever find
is acute angled T junctions, but even they're not a major problem. Hanging back a bit for overtaking is no problem, it fact its a benefit (IMHO)! Top end rebuilds humm?, how many of them were really necessary? Oil leaks! What oil leaks! Its the 964's under body rust inhibiting system, to backup the galvanizing! IMHO they are the best, usable, sports car icon on the road bar none!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:21 PM
McJohn
Racer

Earlier this year I bought a 1984 Porsche 924, the speedo read 165,000 miles and the vendor told me the speedo cable been broken for over a year, so it might well have done 200,000 miles or more, and the engine had never been opened, top or bottom.

Guess what? It ran like a sweetheart, I thrashed it for a few months and sold it (at a profit), and I'll bet that in 10 years time it's still running.

Rebuilds? Yeah right!

McJ

Quick Reply: buying first porsche